Honduras

Post your questions (and answers) about dive excursions abroad here.
Jenbowes
Amphibian

Honduras

Post by Jenbowes »

Okay, dive compadres! We're going to Roatan for a week in May, and if I don't know Pacific NW water creatures (which I DON'T), I SURELY don't know Caribbean/Golf of Honduras ones!

So, if anyone is interested in sharing, please do so. You can add whatever you think would be helpful and interesting for a novice like myself.

Photos and names of the creatures of the area? Faboo! :partydance:

Where to find them and what to look for? Thrill me! :breakdance:

Your anecdotal experiences? :sleep: NO, just kidding! ---->>> :popcorn: !!!! Rock on!

Share and share alike, I always say. Well, not always, but tonight, I say it!

Thanks in advance!
Jen Bowes

**posted in Dive Matrix, also
:partyman: This is my favorite smiley!!

CAKE IS THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Re: Honduras

Post by WylerBear »

Which side of the island will you be on?
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
Jenbowes
Amphibian

Post by Jenbowes »

We're staying at CoCo view.

Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

Ooh! I had a great time at Cocoview! Bring bug spray. Lots of it.

There was a resident moray eel and a very, very large grouper in the Prince Albert. Look off the walls for eagle rays, they'll mostly be out in the blue. The resort across the way (Fantasy Island) has a site they call the Menagerie (I think) - this was one of my favorites, and we seriously considered taking one of the kayaks over there with our gear to do it again.

We saw a lot of octos and lobster at night - look in the holes in the rocks on the bottom. Coral banded shrimp were fairly common, and I would often see a spotted eel on the chain out to the walls at night, too.

They have tons of books and ID cards at the resort for you to thumb through. Have fun!
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Paul Humann and Ned DeLoach's 3 Volume Reef ID set will set you back about $75 on Amazon. If you're serious about knowing what you look at underwater it is money VERY well spent. Mine has been invaluable for the Caribbean diving that I've done.
Make sure you get the latest edition
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Mostly Tiger Sharks, Mako Sharks, Bull Sharks, Oceanic Whitetip sharks, Seasnakes, Barracudas, and flesh-eating water scorpions down there, I hear.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

We stayed at Coco View in October of 06-has it been that long already? Have to get back there. It was incredible!. You will have the best time! Tom Nic's suggestion of Paul Humann's book is good advice. I have also used mine for several trips down that way. If you plan on doing more Carribean or Florida or Bahamas diving it is money well spent.
Hope you have a fantastic time.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
dieseldude
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by dieseldude »

Joshua Smith wrote:Mostly Tiger Sharks, Mako Sharks, Bull Sharks, Oceanic Whitetip sharks, Seasnakes, Barracudas, and flesh-eating water scorpions down there, I hear.
:laughing3:
I want to go!
" What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"
Jenbowes
Amphibian

Post by Jenbowes »

Mostly Tiger Sharks, Mako Sharks, Bull Sharks, Oceanic Whitetip sharks, Seasnakes, Barracudas, and flesh-eating water scorpions down there, I hear.
Flesh-eating scorpions? My FAVS! Thanks!
Paul Humann and Ned DeLoach's 3 Volume Reef ID set will set you back about $75 on Amazon. If you're serious about knowing what you look at underwater it is money VERY well spent. Mine has been invaluable for the Caribbean diving that I've done.
Make sure you get the latest edition
This sounds like a great idea and I'll see about getting it! I suppose I should have checked with Matt before I posted my thread - it's very possible he has all of this info already that I can peruse, at which point ... THANKS FRIENDS for helping me with my repetitious, yet unnecessary questions!
We stayed at Coco View in October of 06-has it been that long already? Have to get back there. It was incredible!. You will have the best time! Tom Nic's suggestion of Paul Humann's book is good advice. I have also used mine for several trips down that way. If you plan on doing more Carribean or Florida or Bahamas diving it is money well spent.
Hope you have a fantastic time.
Thanks! So far, that has been everybody's response and I'm super excited to go.

As far as other trips? "Dive vacations" are also known as "expensive vacations". I'm a prolific traveler, but for most of my trips, I am CHEAP! Before Matt's arrival in Roatan, I'm traveling on my own through the mainland Honduras for a week and that entire week is probably going to cost me what a day in Roatan costs. :eek:

Maybe my next thread will be "Advice on how to take a dive trip inexpensively!" :help:

However, in all seriousness, despite my miserly ways, I'm really really excited about this trip and all the wonders it will bring! I keep bouncing up and down like a little kid when I think of tropical climate, warm water, and SCUBA DIVING! I'm so addicted! :chat:

but feel free to post advice on cheap diving travel. :)

Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

Roatan is my all time favorite dive location to date. I stayed a Anthony Keys and did not want to come home. I saw my first and only Sea Horse's at a dive site called "Barry's Reef". So cool.

If you want a copy of Paul Humann's Reef Creature's Florida, Caribbean and Bahamas I have a extra one I bought in Bonaire for $45 US. I will let it go for 1/2 that. If you want it just PM me a message. Have fun.
Charles
dlh
Submariner

Post by dlh »

I've been to Roatan & CoCo View three times now, last in May 2007. You'll have a great time!!! It's the easiest and prettiest diving vacation you can make. You can literally dive your brains out!

Here are a few photos from my last trip: Underwater Slideshow | Topside Slideshow

Dave
Pinkpadigal
I've Got Gills

Post by Pinkpadigal »

You will love Cocoview. We were there 2 years ago and look forward to going back in August.

The dive shop at the resort can work with you on indentifying the local critters. I would sign up for a fish ID class when you get there and dive with the people who dive there every day that can help you ID.

Have fun!
Amy Rhodes
PADI Master Instructor #183890
A-2-Z Scuba Instruction
http://www.a2zscuba.com