Newbie Locations???

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
sungurl
Aquaphile

Newbie Locations???

Post by sungurl »

Hi all - not quite ready to actually plan on a dive yet, only because I'm still figuring out the whole gear situation, but did want to get some input as far as suggestions on places to dive that are good for a newbie (read just OWC) like me to do.... :smt064
Hope this is the right thread to post it in??? :nervous:

Also, as an aside, just wanted to say thanks to everyone for bing so welcoming and supportive.... :grouphug:
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: Newbie Locations???

Post by Dusty2 »

Tacoma area, Best bet is Les Davis, Redondo, or 3 tree. All work fine for a noob. Not much current if any and reasonably accessible. There is also Sunnyside but it's pretty dull.

Further north Try Cove 2 at Seacrest

All of these are don't require long swims and have little current.

Also you can check out Janna's site which covers most puget sound and hood canal sites. It also has tide and current info and tons of critter ID stuff. If you want to learn critters Janna is your #1 source.

http://www.pnwscuba.com/directions.htm
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

...and go with people who've been there before. Puget Sound is an unforgiving place if you find yourself at the wrong site at the wrong time.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

"West Wall" of Fox Island is nice. Can be a little tough to find sometimes. Directions in Shore Dive of WA.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Fox Island West Wall is nice, all right, but can be current sensitive, plus if you haven't been there before the wall can be easy to miss. For getting started in the Sound, I'd echo what dusty2 said: Les Davis, Redondo or Cove 2. Three Tree is very nice but there can be some current issues there, too. I'd ease into that aspect of the Sound for at least a few dives...but that's just me.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

I lead shop dives for Tacoma Scuba at Les Davis, on Wed and Fri evenings (7PM). Here are some more site details for Les Davis.

D(B)
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I would divide sites into two classes: Sites suitable for brand new divers to do by themselves, and sites which are suitable for new divers to do with experienced buddies. The difference, to me, is the potential for current. Sites which are pretty benign no matter what the tides are doing are sites like Redondo, Les Davis, and the Coves at Alki. Apparently the Mukilteo T-dock is, as well, although I'm not that familiar with that site.

There are other sites, however, with good characteristics for newer divers -- lots to see in shallow depth, easy navigation, and no long surface swims. Titlow Marine Preserve is one of them, but you need to be sure you are diving it at slack, because current can be a major issue there. I would put Three Tree Point into that category, too, simply because I've run into some considerable current there at times.

The Edmonds Underwater Park is pretty benign except on big exchanges, but is not very pleasant at extremely low tides, and can involve a fair bit of surface swimming. Navigation is easy, though, with the rope grid.

Anybody on this forum shouldn't have any problem finding experienced folks to go explore some of the current-sensitive sites!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
gcbryan
Submariner

Post by gcbryan »

Personally I wouldn't put the Mukilteo T-docks in that category. I had so much current there once (unusual perhaps) that I had to get out. I was a little deeper though.

If you stay to the right at 3 Tree N. I would put that in the same category as Redondo and the others.

Anyway, just pointing out that you can run into current at the T-docks and the ferry is just next door and you don't want to run into that.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I would not consider Edmonds a beginner site. It is a long swim and dispite what people say it can have a nasty current especially when combined with that long swim and the ferry right next door. Divers frequently get into trouble there and end up in the ferry lane. I would also exercise extreme caution with Titlow. There are only a few days a month when the currents are favorable for a new diver there and you can get into trouble very easy and end up way away from the entry. Only do Titlow with an experienced diver and check with the local shops first to verify that you have the proper timing.

All sites in the sound can have current regardless of what the "books say" Your best bet is to go on some of the local shop dives. They will assure that you don't over extend yourself and usually have qualified dive masters or at least well experienced divers along. Best to hang with the groups for awhile till you get well grounded and confident that you have the skills down to the point where in an emergency you will go into rescue mode rather than panic mode.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

When you start getting comfortable with your buoyancy I would highly recommend Sund Rock. It is an easy site with no current but it does involve walls that do drop beyond 60' so you need to be able to maintain your depth to avoid getting too deep.
sungurl
Aquaphile

Post by sungurl »

:joshsmith:

Thanks all! I deifnitely won't be diving alone lol...but appreciate the input so I know what dives I might be able to join up with or those that wouldn't be the best options just yet in order to get some experience and more comfortable in the water.....
:bounceline:
I know I'm asking lots of questions, but you guys rock in helping out....consider me thy apprentice lol
:grouphug:
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

sungurl wrote: I know I'm asking lots of questions,
Don't stop! That's one of the really great things about this group. But I have a question for you: what part of the area are you in?
Dave

--
sungurl
Aquaphile

Post by sungurl »

dwashbur wrote:
sungurl wrote: I know I'm asking lots of questions,
Don't stop! That's one of the really great things about this group. But I have a question for you: what part of the area are you in?
LOL...don't plan on it :biggrin: hee hee
I'm in the Tacoma area....I know Les Davis and Redondo are relatively closeby, but I'm definitely going to be willing to drive a short ways if it means a great place to dive, meet up with awesome folks, and learn and see alot :partydance:
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

OH OH OH need I say Thursday's are a great way to meet awesome people and dive the south sound. We will be at 3 tree tomorrow at 4pmish.http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9501
Jeff Castor
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Cool, we're in Auburn so not too far from you. We need to hook up some time soon.
Dave

--
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

dwashbur wrote:Cool, we're in Auburn so not too far from you. We need to hook up some time soon.
what are you feeding that dog? :naka:
Jeff Castor
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

He must be on grow pup! :supz: :supz:

When you get your sea legs I'd love to show you around my favorite critter site Port Townsend. Not a very tough site but it is subject to the current gods if not timed properly.
sungurl
Aquaphile

Post by sungurl »

pogiguy05 wrote:
dwashbur wrote:Cool, we're in Auburn so not too far from you. We need to hook up some time soon.
what are you feeding that dog? :naka:
ROFLOL...I'm sure my pup would like to know...she acts as if I starve her constantly despite the feeding twice daily.... :rofl:
sungurl
Aquaphile

Post by sungurl »

pogiguy05 wrote:OH OH OH need I say Thursday's are a great way to meet awesome people and dive the south sound. We will be at 3 tree tomorrow at 4pmish.http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9501
Would love to other than i have no equipment yet, lol.....maybe next time i'll be able to round something up to go :)
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

OK but hurry cause there are bad side effect to not getting wet often enough. They can be mistaken for PMS :rofl:
Jeff Castor
sungurl
Aquaphile

Post by sungurl »

pogiguy05 wrote:OK but hurry cause there are bad side effect to not getting wet often enough. They can be mistaken for PMS :rofl:
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Oh my, that was too funny......maybe that's why I've been grumpy all week - going through diving withdrawls already!

I'm hoping to hit some shops today and this weekend to try on some gear and do some research and see what is available to rent until I figure everything out...getting some great feedback from everyone, and I'm eager to do another dive asap!
And now, even more reason to :laughing3:
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

sungurl wrote:I'm hoping to hit some shops today and this weekend to try on some gear and do some research and see what is available to rent until I figure everything out...getting some great feedback from everyone, and I'm eager to do another dive asap!
Definitely don't buy a bunch of gear without knowing what you want. Dive with lots of people and see what they're using first. Borrow and rent gear for a while (it's worth the investment). Far too many people have purchased the gear someone at their dive shop recommended only to find out that they wanted totally different gear. They end up selling all the "first gear" they owned and buying a whole new set of what they learned they REALLY want.

Ask around, see what people are using, look for trends, and ask "why" a lot.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Sounder wrote:...ask "why" a lot.
Sounder's said this twice in as many threads now, and it bears repeating. If someone can't tell you WHY their gear is configured the way it is, or why they use a particular piece of gear, STOP asking them for advice. I don't use any of the gear I purchased after OW anymore, because I didn't ask why I should use a particular item.

Thinking divers know why their gear is the way it is. They've thought it through and tested it. Borrow gear from folks, and try it all out. Back plates and wings, jacket style BCDs, regulators, hose routing, computers, SPGs, exposure suits, fins, et al.

Oh, and welcome to the pool! It's open whenever you're ready!! :partydance:
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
trevorrowe
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by trevorrowe »

scottsax wrote:
Sounder's said this twice in as many threads now, and it bears repeating.
I agree completely. I am one of the very many that purchased their gear twice.
sungurl
Aquaphile

Post by sungurl »

trevorrowe wrote:
scottsax wrote:
Sounder's said this twice in as many threads now, and it bears repeating.
I agree completely. I am one of the very many that purchased their gear twice.
I've definitely sensed a theme, :rofl: but one I will take most seriously :biggrin: