looking into a drysuit.....(link inside)

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

looking into a drysuit.....(link inside)

Post by Dashrynn »

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/spo/1384956113.html is this a good buy? I am not familiar with drysuits at all
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Re: looking into a drysuit.....(link inside)

Post by scottsax »

Dashrynn wrote:http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/spo/1384956113.html is this a good buy? I am not familiar with drysuits at all
I would say that looks like a screaming deal, especially with the drygloves and rings included. You might need to have the seals replaced, but even if it's a couple hundred extra bucks, it's still a good deal.
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

If the seals and zipper are in good shape that's a really good deal. My girlfriend Cindy dives a Pro D2 and it's been a great suit with no problems whatsoever. The D6 is the least expensive of Bare's Pro series drysuit and made of 6mm thick neoprine which will be really warm, but also really bouyant so you might have to add some lead.

Make sure to look over the zipper carefully. If it has a zipper problem you're looking at $300 - $400 to replace it.

I'd say if it's in good condition and fits you've got a good find!
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Thanks! I thought it was a great buy considering the other prices out there and the original price brand new (1000ish) I am pretty much dumbfounded on drysuits and what would be best for me. I think I'm about the same size as h20 doc so medium should be fine!
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Geek wrote:When in doubt, check size chart....http://www.scuba.com/resources/sizechar ... owomen.htm
I checked but I weigh 150....and I'm 5ft 9. So I'm assuming menium should be fine? I talked to the guy and he said I should fit just fine. I wear a size small wetsuit but its a few inches shorter than I want
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

just make sure you try it on before you buy it. try it on with an undergarment on underneath and make sure you have good range of motion and it doesn't feel tight or bind anywhere.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

spatman wrote:just make sure you try it on before you buy it. try it on with an undergarment on underneath and make sure you have good range of motion and it doesn't feel tight or bind anywhere.

Ill keep that in mind! Can I wear long johns under...or do I have to buy the fancy underwear?
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

As one of the cheapest people on the board, I highly recommend dedicated dive undies. For fitting purposes on a neoprene suit though, were a pair of thick sweatpants, and 2 fleece jackets or sweatshirts. If it's way to loose, it's no good, if it's way too tight, no go either. For under neo suits 4th element fleece is really nice.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

I've been diving a D6 for well over a year now, and I really like it. I don't use an undergarment, because the Neoprene suit is sufficient by itself, at least for me. I wear a 1mm Henderson dive skin under it just to keep the rubber off my skin and wick away some of my omnipresent sweat, and have yet to get cold in it at any time of year. If the zipper is good, that's a great deal.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

dwashbur wrote:I've been diving a D6 for well over a year now, and I really like it. I don't use an undergarment, because the Neoprene suit is sufficient by itself, at least for me. I wear a 1mm Henderson dive skin under it just to keep the rubber off my skin and wick away some of my omnipresent sweat, and have yet to get cold in it at any time of year. If the zipper is good, that's a great deal.
Is the valves good?? I heard in some suits the valves go bad.....and after this I have to get training in the suit! 150$ is a lot for a class though! I am thinking about just reading up on techniques and practicing. I'm a pretty quick learner!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Nwbrewer wrote:As one of the cheapest people on the board, I highly recommend dedicated dive undies. For fitting purposes on a neoprene suit though, were a pair of thick sweatpants, and 2 fleece jackets or sweatshirts. If it's way to loose, it's no good, if it's way too tight, no go either. For under neo suits 4th element fleece is really nice.
I've actually got an undersuit I could sell you that would fit perfectly. PM me if you're interested. You'd still need long-johns underneath, but it'd be a great starter undie and I'd sell it for $200. It's brand new.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Dashrynn wrote:
dwashbur wrote:I've been diving a D6 for well over a year now, and I really like it. I don't use an undergarment, because the Neoprene suit is sufficient by itself, at least for me. I wear a 1mm Henderson dive skin under it just to keep the rubber off my skin and wick away some of my omnipresent sweat, and have yet to get cold in it at any time of year. If the zipper is good, that's a great deal.
Is the valves good?? I heard in some suits the valves go bad.....and after this I have to get training in the suit! 150$ is a lot for a class though! I am thinking about just reading up on techniques and practicing. I'm a pretty quick learner!
Dashrynn,

I understand not wanting to bother with a class, but please go out with somebody who can at least show you how to dive a drysuit. It's not quite as simple as you'd think. You don't necessarily need the class, but it's a really good idea to have someone help you out at first, or you're most likely to be in for some rapid feet first ascents. Some shops offer a discounted class if you don't need the C-card (don't have to pay the agency). You might ask about something like that from your LDS. Good luck.

Jake
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Dashrynn wrote: 150$ is a lot for a class though! I am thinking about just reading up on techniques and practicing. I'm a pretty quick learner!
Learning skills from stuff you read on the internet. :thumb3d:

(not the best plan)
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Sounder wrote:
Dashrynn wrote: 150$ is a lot for a class though! I am thinking about just reading up on techniques and practicing. I'm a pretty quick learner!

(not the best plan)
true but i wouldn't plan on diving a wreck lol maybe somewhere shallow where if i mess up i wont be shooting to the surface upside down for hundreds of feet lol
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Dashrynn wrote:
Sounder wrote:

(not the best plan)
true but i wouldn't plan on diving a wreck lol maybe somewhere shallow where if i mess up i wont be shooting to the surface upside down for hundreds of feet lol
Rate of pressure change is greater as you get shallower... which means that for some injuries you will do more damage shallower than you will from the same mechanism deeper. An instructor would have told you this.

Where did you get your initial OW training through? Why not just take the class?
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Dashrynn wrote:rue but i wouldn't plan on diving a wreck lol maybe somewhere shallow where if i mess up i wont be shooting to the surface upside down for hundreds of feet lol
just don't hold your breath when you do cork, even if it's from only a few feet deep.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

yes they did tell us that. What i meant in shallow was, 10 or 8 ft of water (shallower than the pool which is 12) lol not 30 ft but ya you do make a fine point about the class (thats why i ask everyone and not just one old pro). I went thru ssi ow but right now im just beginning my tides and currents and navigation for my advanced open water and then night and limited vis anddd finally deep diving. I get too cold on a 60 min dive at 50 degree water......and im wrapped up tight!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Dashrynn wrote:yes they did tell us that. What i meant in shallow was, 10 or 8 ft of water (shallower than the pool which is 12) lol not 30 ft but ya you do make a fine point about the class (thats why i ask everyone and not just one old pro). I went thru ssi ow but right now im just beginning my tides and currents and navigation for my advanced open water and then night and limited vis anddd finally deep diving. I get too cold on a 60 min dive at 50 degree water......and im wrapped up tight!
Where are you doing your navigation and night diving training through?
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

spatman wrote:
Dashrynn wrote:rue but i wouldn't plan on diving a wreck lol maybe somewhere shallow where if i mess up i wont be shooting to the surface upside down for hundreds of feet lol
just don't hold your breath when you do cork, even if it's from only a few feet deep.
lol as the instructor said every 5 seconds during teaching class "NEVER HOLD YOUR BREATH WHILE SCUBA DIVING!" he said thats why we have air in front of us and only time you wouldn't be breathing is when ur exhaling on an emergency out of air accent when you do the growl all the ways to the surface.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Sounder wrote:
Dashrynn wrote:yes they did tell us that. What i meant in shallow was, 10 or 8 ft of water (shallower than the pool which is 12) lol not 30 ft but ya you do make a fine point about the class (thats why i ask everyone and not just one old pro). I went thru ssi ow but right now im just beginning my tides and currents and navigation for my advanced open water and then night and limited vis anddd finally deep diving. I get too cold on a 60 min dive at 50 degree water......and im wrapped up tight!
Where are you doing your navigation and night diving training through?
ssi whidbey island dive center i have yet to go into a classroom, im still reading the books.
wallyc72
Dive-aholic

Post by wallyc72 »

The suit in the photo looks to be a 2004 or 2005 model. The blue on it is really faded for only one year of diving. If the suit has good seals it is might worth $400.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

wallyc72 wrote:The suit in the photo looks to be a 2004 or 2005 model. The blue on it is really faded for only one year of diving. If the suit has good seals it is might worth $400.
deffiantly informative! and something im looking for is opinions, I think i may be able to talk him to 300....
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

Do yourself a huge favor and try it on before buying. I have the CD4 and it is pretty stiff. I imagine the 6 mil is even harder. I like the crushed neoprene as it does keep me warmer BUT I have to be more careful handling it than my counterparts who are diving a shell.
They can pretty much just wrap theirs up in a ball and throw it in a bucket. I hae to roll mine all nice and tuck the arms in. Plus it is a whole heck of a lot heavier than a shell.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

pensacolaracer wrote:Do yourself a huge favor and try it on before buying. I have the CD4 and it is pretty stiff. I imagine the 6 mil is even harder. I like the crushed neoprene as it does keep me warmer BUT I have to be more careful handling it than my counterparts who are diving a shell.
They can pretty much just wrap theirs up in a ball and throw it in a bucket. I hae to roll mine all nice and tuck the arms in. Plus it is a whole heck of a lot heavier than a shell.
Dang....do I need extra weight? - read a drysuit does.....