Dry suit undergarments....

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Geek
Pelagic

Dry suit undergarments....

Post by Geek »

Ok, I just got a drysuit, a Bare XCD2 Tech dry :partydance: .... NO I wasn't getting cold in my Semi-dry, I just got envious watching all you people get out, pull off your drysuit and....be dry... I kind of got strange looks when we go to dinner or lunch after diving and I look like a drowned... (insert animal here)

So now, with the knowledge that I am broke-ish :banghead: , I need to know the kind of undergarments that are out there.... I am not a cold person, so I don't think I'll be needing anything to extreme, just was wondering if the wisdom of the NWDC could help me get into a low cost thermal layer for the suit...

Thank you all, I can't wait to dive it and see what all you people swear by, I have a lot dives in my semi-dry so I know I'm might have to unlearn some things diving with a dry suit, please chime in with pointers on that as well... :notworthy: :salute:
If I'm killed by the questions like a cancer,
Then I'll be buried in the silence of the answer.

http://www.tacomacomputersolutions.com

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
defied
I've Got Gills

Re: Dry suit undergarments....

Post by defied »

I rock flannel jammies.

I would think for the cheap seats, that a pair of sweats, and shirts would work until you can afford some of that high tech stupid expensive fleece.

D(B)
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

For less than 200.00 you can get a custom made fleece undergarment and booties from Softwear. She is up in Bellingham and will let you know which measurments to take. Once you send her the info, expect your ug in 2 days.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Aquanautchuck
Pelagic

Post by Aquanautchuck »

Hey Ron, do you have her web site handy? I am looking for a new undergarment. My old 400gr is now more like 200.
Charles
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

defied wrote:I rock flannel jammies.

I would think for the cheap seats, that a pair of sweats, and shirts would work until you can afford some of that high tech stupid expensive fleece.

D(B)
Thought about that but wearing cotten sweats and stuff while underwater didn't seem like the right Idea..This is all new to me, maybe it will work? :dontknow:

Ron, I would like her website, might look into that...

Life isn't like a box of chocolate's, life is like a box of chocolate and horse bisket's and no matter which one you get you have to keep on chewing...
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

Our club is having a similar discussion right now. A couple of fairly convincing suggestions for wool have been put forward.
The argument is warm when wet, compresses less, maybe better buoyancy characteristics.
Some of the newer wools are non-itchy, plus wash and wear.

Anyone have any experience?

Based on the discussion I got out an old somewhat moth eaten sweater and substituted it for my usual medium fleece top that still goes under my normal fleece jumper. Usual dive time and depths (hour, 60-100'). I think I was a bit warmer but there are a lot of variables on a dive.

My current fleece (and suit) are in good shape but have a lot of dives on them. I was getting cold last winter but the water was a couple degrees colder than usual.

Fritz
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Bare has two piece polar fleece for $150.00 total. I was eyeballing those today, but just can't justify that much money for two articles of clothing.

D(B)
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Good choice on the suit but you should have looked into getting an undergarment with it. You might try costco for some of their polar fleece jackets and pants. Any 100% synthetic insulated underwear will help but I don't know how much you will need. Each person has their own comfort level. Try Ebay and craigs list too. The lady mentioned above might be a good bet or you might look at these http://www.scuba.com/scuba-gear-159/166 ... rment.html You could also try the hollis listed here. http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.a ... dergarment About the lowest price I've seen on a 200 wt. undergarment.

My dive buddy wears jeans and a sweater most of the time but I think he's crazy.
sunnydude
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by sunnydude »

I have a DUI crushed neo suit which doesn't leave much room for undergarments. Currently using a USIA undergarment that is almost too warm for me (got it from a guy in AK). My new Bare t-100 arrives today. I will try it with long johns and should be fine.

It all depends on your comfort level.
Sean
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

geek, how tall are you? i'm 6', and i have a USIA undergarment i don't use anymore. i can bring it to the club dive on the 10th for you to try out.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

spatman wrote:geek, how tall are you? i'm 6', and i have a USIA undergarment i don't use anymore. i can bring it to the club dive on the 10th for you to try out.
I'm 6'2" and finally found the undergarment I was going to loan out at Dive Around the Clock. I'll bring it to the club dive as well.
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
Domer Down
Avid Diver

Post by Domer Down »

I'm a big believer in synthetics and stay away from cotton. I tend to sweat, especially before I get in the water. Anything that wicks away the sweat is great. I usually start with an Under Armour type layer which provides no insulation, but is comfortable against my skin and carries away the sweat. I then have an old fleece jacket and pants from REI, although when I have a few bucks to throw around I'll probably get something made for diving.
Tom Larson (Domer Down)
When you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Aquanautchuck wrote:Hey Ron, do you have her web site handy? I am looking for a new undergarment. My old 400gr is now more like 200.
I can't find her website now. Try shooting GD a pm. He might have her e mail address.
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
sunnydude
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by sunnydude »

Sean
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

spatman wrote:geek, how tall are you? i'm 6', and i have a USIA undergarment i don't use anymore. i can bring it to the club dive on the 10th for you to try out.
scottsax wrote: I'm 6'2" and finally found the undergarment I was going to loan out at Dive Around the Clock. I'll bring it to the club dive as well.
I'm 6'1" and 220lbs

That would be great, bring them to the Club Dive I would like to try them out, Thanks guys :breakdance:

spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Geek wrote:I'm 6'1" and 220lbs

That would be great, bring them to the Club Dive I would like to try them out, Thanks guys :breakdance:
mine might be a bit snug for you. it just fit me, but i'll bring it anyway. remind me late next week to pack it....
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Geek wrote: I'm 6'1" and 220lbs

Yeah, I think mine will fit better... I'll throw it in the garage so I don't forget.
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

Hi Geek,
If you got the suit new you should have recieved a free undergarment. They are doing their semi annual promotion from September 15th till October 30th.

http://barescubadiving.com/usa/monthly- ... efault.asp
Geek
Pelagic

Post by Geek »

BillZ wrote:Hi Geek,
If you got the suit new you should have recieved a free undergarment. They are doing their semi annual promotion from September 15th till October 30th.

Yea, IF I got it new, I be member of broke diver club.. :angelblue:

BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

Geek wrote:
BillZ wrote:Hi Geek,

Yea, IF I got it new, I be member of broke diver club.. :angelblue:
Last year I picked these up from Cabelas for a a middle layer on cold days in my trilam suit. I also use it as an undergarment when the water temps are above 55. The crushed neo Bare suits are pretty warm so you may be able to get by with this and a fleece.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... hasJS=true
sungurl
Aquaphile

Post by sungurl »

okay, this may seem like a stupid question, but why would one need super warm fleece, etc. for an undergarment to go under a dry suit??? arent dry suits supposed to be warm in and by themselves?? or is it just because it is nice to not have to wear a swimwuit??? I have a new 7mm neoprene dry suit, so does this mean I need to get warm fleece to wear under it? Sorry to post on your thread Geek....hope you don't mind...:angelblue:

I'm just confused, lol....(maybe a blond moment????) :help:

(HUGS)
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

sungurl wrote:okay, this may seem like a stupid question, but why would one need super warm fleece, etc. for an undergarment to go under a dry suit??? arent dry suits supposed to be warm in and by themselves?? or is it just because it is nice to not have to wear a swimwuit??? I have a new 7mm neoprene dry suit, so does this mean I need to get warm fleece to wear under it? Sorry to post on your thread Geek....hope you don't mind...:angelblue:

(HUGS)
Drysuits are designed to keep you dry. Your undergarment keeps you warm. If you are wearing a shell suit, you basically have no thermal protection and need a undergarment to keep you warm. If you dive a 2mm suit you still need a ug. If you're in a 4mm or 7mm suit, you might not need a ug in the summer up here but you will still need at least a thin ug when the water dips below 50.
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

sungurl wrote:okay, this may seem like a stupid question, but why would one need super warm fleece, etc. for an undergarment to go under a dry suit??? arent dry suits supposed to be warm in and by themselves??
like cardiver said, drysuits keep you dry. my trilam suit has zero thermal value, it's like diving in a tailored tarp with seals to keep the water out. what i wear under it is what keeps me warm.
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

I've been thinking about some light weight undergarments from Fourth Element. A guy I dive with has them and they seem really warm and way space age high tech. Has anyone used them?

For cold water diving I have a big marino wool undergarment from Pinnacle. It always keeps me warm even in a leaky suit... but I never enjoyed the bulk factor. It could be that it wasn't sized right.

I'm surprised no one has brought up weezle yet. I luff my weezle booties.

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

sungurl wrote: but why would one need super warm fleece, etc. for an undergarment to go under a dry suit??? arent dry suits supposed to be warm in and by themselves?? .....I have a new 7mm neoprene dry suit, so does this mean I need to get warm fleece to wear under it? .

(HUGS)
I had a shell suit with a HEAVY undergarment. Needed some work and went to the shop. Borrowed a 7mm drysuit (and it was nice and dry, fit well) and figured since in my old cheap days I kinda got by with a 7mm wetsuit I'd be OK with light poly under the 7mm dry.
Wrong! For me anyway.

Just like a wetsuit your 7mm drysuit will be 2-3mm after 60 feet. It compresses too.
Some folks are better thermal generators than others. I know one guy that dives HOODLESS in the summer. Freaks me out.
So, what you wear under it will ultimately be up to you. You are going to have to splash it, squash it, and find out for yourself.
What might be OK right now may not be in Feb.

Another friend got a 3mm compressed neoprene suit-they do better than uncompressed 7mm in the depth squeeze dept. Said he didn't understand how I stood it with 5mm compressed in the summer. He found out in the winter.

Fritz
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.