Sunrise Beach Park Sat 17OCT09

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
ketralis
Aquaphile

Sunrise Beach Park Sat 17OCT09

Post by ketralis »

I'd like to get a small group together and dive Sunrise Beach Park in Gig Harbor. From what I hear it is supposed to be one of the best dives in the area for wildlife, lots of wolf eels and octo's that are used to divers and obviously like to be fed. There is supposed to be a rock wall that starts at about 35 ft, and goes down to 60. I dove there yesterday, (SUN, 11OCT09) with a couple of friends, but the current was stronger than we anticipated and we completely missed the dive site. When we hit 110 ft I Stopped my buddies and we surfaced because I knew we were WAY off course. :dontknow: It was still a fun dive, but I'd really like to plan it a little better and go with somebody who has done the dive before. Visibility was fantastic though, about 40 ft even at 110 ft.
If you're interested let me know :roll:
-Kevin
Divers have to be safe when they go under the water. Divers can't go down alone, so they have to go down on each other. (Becky, age 8)
gcbryan
Submariner

Re: Sunrise Beach Park Sat 17OCT09

Post by gcbryan »

I'm sure you'll find some people to go with you. Regarding the rest of your post...use the Gig Harbor current station for slack and get in 20 minutes before that to allow for the swim and you should be fine regarding current assuming you go on a mild to moderate exchange.

To find the wall (it's a little on the small side) swim down (to the right) from the entrance past a cabin and two houses I believe until you get to a weird looking tree.

It's straight out from the tree and maybe just a little to the right. You should hit it by 40 fsw or so. It's really just a few kicks off shore.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

ketralis wrote:I'd like to get a small group together and dive Sunrise Beach Park in Gig Harbor. From what I hear it is supposed to be one of the best dives in the area for wildlife, lots of wolf eels and octo's that are used to divers and obviously like to be fed. There is supposed to be a rock wall that starts at about 35 ft, and goes down to 60. I dove there yesterday, (SUN, 11OCT09) with a couple of friends, but the current was stronger than we anticipated and we completely missed the dive site. When we hit 110 ft I Stopped my buddies and we surfaced because I knew we were WAY off course. :dontknow: It was still a fun dive, but I'd really like to plan it a little better and go with somebody who has done the dive before. Visibility was fantastic though, about 40 ft even at 110 ft.
If you're interested let me know :roll:
-Kevin
Kevin, what time did you go on Sunday? The best time to have hit it yesterday would've been between 5:15 and about 7:30 PM.

As you noticed, Sunrise is a current-intensive place. Tidal exchanges on the 17th are going to be much larger than they were this yesterday, so unless you time is perfectly around slack you're likely going to be dealing with even stronger currents than you had yesterday.

Sunrise is best dived on days with very low tidal exchange. The best time to dive is on a slack before flood. You'll generally get two of those ... the first occurring at around 90 minutes prior to SBF at the Narrows North buoy with the current running south, and again a few minutes after slack at Narrows North ... when the current turns north again. Diving during that 90-minute window will give you the best chance of enjoying the dive without too much current.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

And remember. The park closes at sunset and the ranger will be there right on time to lock the gate.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
ketralis
Aquaphile

Post by ketralis »

I'll have to check the tides again, I must have looked at the wrong day, thanks for the inputs though. I'll look again and find a better day to do this dive. Anyway, like I said, I am looking to find someone who has done this dive before to go with next time. Please let me know if you're interested in diving Sunrise sometime in the next week or two. I'm pretty flexible as long as it's on the weekend.
-Kevin
Divers have to be safe when they go under the water. Divers can't go down alone, so they have to go down on each other. (Becky, age 8)