Complacency & Diving don't mix

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Complacency & Diving don't mix

Post by WylerBear »

There's no excuse for running out of gas. I really believe that. Having said that, after almost 800 dives under my belt, I found myself in an Out of Gas situation today. The reason? (Which in no way excuses the behavior) Complacency. Over-confidence. Whatever you want to call it.
I know I can always do at least an hour dive-usually longer. I always know within a couple 100 psi what my pressure is. Not today.
Zen Diver & I planned 3 dives today ending with a Lumpy dusk dive. On the first dive we decided to do the usual boat, boat, boat profile. I had a short fill (3000 psi in my HP80) and let Valerie know that and that I would more than likely need to switch to my deco bottle by the end of the dive if we did a normal dive for us. Off we went, had a great dive but stayed at depth, even going out to the 4th farthest boat, a bit long. The last time I checked my gauge I had 1500psi but we were still at depth at that point.
We got to safety stop depth and were just hanging out. I took a couple of photos then took a breath and thought, "I know what this feels like." I immediately flashed back to my OW class when the instructor turns off your gas to let you feel what leading up to out of air feels like. I checked my gauge-OUT OF GAS!!!!! I immediately switched on my deco bottle, still breathing from my primary although it was getting harder, and switched to it. No problem. I also had two other options-Valerie was an arm's length away, and we were in 18' of water and I had realized the problem in plenty of time to do a normal ascent if I wanted to.
There was no real danger. I wasn't panicked. Valerie, of course, didn't even know that I was really OOG until I started pointing to myself and indicating that I was a loser. But what a lesson for me. You can't ever take diving for granted. Having a good foundation of knowledge & skill can only take you so far. You really need to pay attention!!!!
We went on to do 2 more great dives (although we got skunked on the Lumpy dive-fortunately we saw one on the deep dive).
And I learned a valuable lesson. Actually, 2 lessons. The second one was call your wife before posting on facebook that you had an OOA situation. #-o
Everybody be safe out there. And check your gauge!
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Complacency & Diving don't mix

Post by Penopolypants »

Yikes!!! I'm glad that a) you are okay and b) you are willing to talk about it. It's good to develop a feel for where you are gas-wise during a dive, but any measuring device (including your brain) can have a bad day.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
kat
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by kat »

i am glad you are safe, and thank you for the reminder. complacency is a dangerous bedfellow.
"As long as you get everything tucked into your pants, you are good to go." -wasp7000
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Thanks for posting this, Georgia. It's an excellent reminder. And I'm very glad you're OK. I hope the usual group of scuba cops can find it in their hearts to avoid the predictable lectures about this.
WylerBear wrote:There's no excuse for running out of gas. I really believe that. Having said that, after almost 800 dives under my belt, I found myself in an Out of Gas situation today. The reason? (Which in no way excuses the behavior) Complacency. Over-confidence. Whatever you want to call it.
I know I can always do at least an hour dive-usually longer. I always know within a couple 100 psi what my pressure is. Not today.
Zen Diver & I planned 3 dives today ending with a Lumpy dusk dive. On the first dive we decided to do the usual boat, boat, boat profile. I had a short fill (3000 psi in my HP80) and let Valerie know that and that I would more than likely need to switch to my deco bottle by the end of the dive if we did a normal dive for us. Off we went, had a great dive but stayed at depth, even going out to the 4th farthest boat, a bit long. The last time I checked my gauge I had 1500psi but we were still at depth at that point.
We got to safety stop depth and were just hanging out. I took a couple of photos then took a breath and thought, "I know what this feels like." I immediately flashed back to my OW class when the instructor turns off your gas to let you feel what leading up to out of air feels like. I checked my gauge-OUT OF GAS!!!!! I immediately switched on my deco bottle, still breathing from my primary although it was getting harder, and switched to it. No problem. I also had two other options-Valerie was an arm's length away, and we were in 18' of water and I had realized the problem in plenty of time to do a normal ascent if I wanted to.
There was no real danger. I wasn't panicked. Valerie, of course, didn't even know that I was really OOG until I started pointing to myself and indicating that I was a loser. But what a lesson for me. You can't ever take diving for granted. Having a good foundation of knowledge & skill can only take you so far. You really need to pay attention!!!!
We went on to do 2 more great dives (although we got skunked on the Lumpy dive-fortunately we saw one on the deep dive).
And I learned a valuable lesson. Actually, 2 lessons. The second one was call your wife before posting on facebook that you had an OOA situation. #-o
Everybody be safe out there. And check your gauge!
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

If it happened to Georgia it can happen to anybody. Period.

Pay attention! Be safe!

Thanks for telling the story Georgia.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Gooch
Submariner

Post by Gooch »

Georgia; we are all very glad you are well. Thanks for posting this though as a lesson to never be complacent. And be careful what you put on Facebook- your wife/boss/friends might be reading it ;) I'm just very happy you are good.
http://nwdivers.me/blog/ Original articles and dive reports from local divers in the Vancouver, WA area. Suggestions for stories or your own reports are welcome!

Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

A good reminder for the new year. Glad your a member of the we love ponies club!
FlyinV
Dive-aholic

Post by FlyinV »

It will be a valuable story for you to talk about and teaching the open water classes.

Excellent reminder for us all about looking at the gauge - especially those of us (me) who might have progressed from complete beginner to now more experienced and don't check the gauges like a crazy person every minute anymore :)
Jeff V
Octo Buddy Dive Tours - www.octobuddy.com
Bric Martin
Aquanaut

Post by Bric Martin »

Georgia

It was good to see you and Val. The upside of this situation is how you responded, you calmly fixed a problem. Afterwards you used the mistake as a learning moment and moved on. I'll dive with you anytime!
Bric Martin

Save the Oceans, Save Ourselves!
RIP LCF
https://goo.gl/photos/tSdZZHXf4xejLBSz5
https://goo.gl/photos/fTCN7LuFvxWYF11e8
Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

When Georgia gave me the OOA sign, I thought, "oh, ok, she's switching to her deco bottle as planned." When she added the Loser sign and pointed to herself, repeatedly, I thought "she's not really telling me what I think she's telling me, is she?" I was amazed at how calm she was, and at her willingness to share the story, and to do so publically. Way to go buddy! (seriously).

Valerie
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Zen Diver wrote:When Georgia gave me the OOA sign, I thought, "oh, ok, she's switching to her deco bottle as planned." When she added the Loser sign and pointed to herself, repeatedly, I thought "she's not really telling me what I think she's telling me, is she?" I was amazed at how calm she was, and at her willingness to share the story, and to do so publically. Way to go buddy! (seriously).

Valerie
Val's retelling of this image made me laugh :) Thanks for sharing Georgia.

Funny thing is I was diving with a Al13 argon bottle yesterday for the first time in a year and actually "lost" my spg behind it. I was on the scooter at the time I was checking it, just dropped it and it blew back there. Between the wing and the argon bottle that sucker was not coming back to me. I could feel the hose up at the left post reg but had no leverage to pull it back out. I "knew" I had plenty of gas too but ended up feeling guilty I couldn't check and had to go through much light signaling,arm waving schenanigins to get my buddy to get it back for me. I felt like a big L at the time too :)
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

It's a good reminder. Thanks for sharing it Georgia.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

It's a good reminder. I got twenty minute into my first dive yesterday, distracted by new place, unfamiliar gear, etc., and suddenly realized I hadn't checked my gas. I "knew" I had plenty, but it really shook me to have gotten that distracted. We can all make mistakes.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
nwbobber
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by nwbobber »

Glad you are OK, and I thank you for posting about it. These reminders help us all to stay safe.
If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading - Lao Tzu
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Another Thank You for your reminder story. Yep, complacency is an equal opportunity evil spirit just lurking ready to do its' worst.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

Thanks for sharing, Georgia.

Everyone has been bit in the ass by complacency, to one degree or another. I know I have

These are good wake up calls for everyone to keep us on our toes and learn from
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
Cold_H2O
Aquaphile

Post by Cold_H2O »

Glad to hear your ok and thanks for the reminder.