Sund Rock Trawler

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Sund Rock Trawler

Post by sheahanmcculla »

We did our virgin dive at Sund Rock Sat. It was a blast and viz. was killer and there was lots of life. I would love to go again and check out the south wall more. The only downside was it took 4 hours just to get there.

Here is the Trawler. It's my 1st video too!

[vimeo]http://www.vimeo.com/8519195[/vimeo]
BDub
I've Got Gills

Re: Sund Rock Trawler

Post by BDub »

Good job with the first video, Sheahan.

IIRC, the trawler's name is the "Helen H". Haven't done that in a few years. Fun dive.

Thanks for sharing
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

Very nice video and I wish I was able to get a dive in on Sunday there. definitely going back.
Jeff Castor
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

Nice job with the vid dude. Looks like it was a fun one... worth the drive no?

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
dieseldude
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by dieseldude »

I Love it. Finally my 3 seconds of fame. I think Sheahan wll agree it was worth the drive although for him it was more of a ride.
this was an SPD fun dive(yeah, there still makin' a go of it)& I felt honored to be asked. Truth be known, I wasn't sure I wanted to drive that far to dive but could not say no after being asked. I'm glad I went. We had a couple guys camped out down there & one with a boat(they did some other dives too). The rest of the group piled into 2 vehicles & made the trip. The last time I was at Sund Rock was a club dive which is where I met he who shall not be named(ha-ha)& we dove the south wall. As I recall from that dive, we saw 5 wolfies! Pretty hard to beat, Huh?
Try 7 wolfies! And 2 GPO's! :metal:
I'll throw a few stills on Sheahan's report. We headed out for the north wall with a plan B of hitting the wreck if the current permitted. Our guide scootered out as scout & led us out on what looked like it might be sort of boring. A few anemones, scattered copper rockfish, couple of blacks. Nothing spectacular. We got to the end of the wall & Aaron turned around & shrugged his shoulders which I think meant:"ok, now what?" I had drawn the entire site on my wrist slate(yeah, I'm weird like that) I pointed at the wreck & he seemed to know what I meant so off we went. Pretty flat along the way & then up from the fog loomed the port? side our wreck. I saw some Sea lemons & a couple heath's Dorids on the hull. There were some sort of feather dusters that creeped up the side like a Madrona stretches out for sun on the shoreline.
SundRock1210_003.jpg
We found several quite large lings, one that would rival some of the ones at EUP or Keystone. I came across this one on eggs & was amazed I got this close without being eaten(poor shot but I wasnt getting any closer)
SundRock1210_005.jpg
When we cruzed back to the bouy we dropped on we found someone waiting for us under the cement block.
This wasnt part of the 7 wolfies by the way, this is still dive 1
SundRock1210_021.jpg
There were little flurries of plankton swimming about & the fish just hung out & waited for the orderves to pass by & then snatched them up. The color of some of the plumose anemones was fabulous
SundRock1210_028.jpg
We had some clam chowder during our SI & made our plans for dive 2. We entered on the South trail which is in better shape than I remembered & we dropped on the South wall. Almost immediately wolfie #1.
SundRock1210_033.jpg
After watching everone try to coax this guy out, we moved on & My octo finding fool of a buddy found a fairly large octo under a rock. I won't pain you with the poor shots I got of him but if there are any doubters, pm me & i'll send you some bluury arms with large suckers on them. I found this very large Sea lemon with no lungs. Couldnt figure that part out.
SundRock1210_038.jpg
Did I mention the many Tube dwelling anemones?
SundRock1210_041.jpg
Then off in the distance we see...
SundRock1210_042.jpg
SundRock1210_043.jpg
Did I mention we saw allot of wolfies??
SundRock1210_049.jpg
SundRock1210_050.jpg
SundRock1210_056.jpg
SundRock1210_062.jpg
There were 2 more wolfies that I could not get shots on. Too far in. Heres a few parting shots.
SundRock1210_059.jpg
SundRock1210_061.jpg
SundRock1210_063.jpg
At this point we started back & found our divers interacting with the wolfies. They never did come out but one of our crew got to pet a wolfie & my buddy looked more like he was giving a wolfie noogie and I am generally against touching the marine life but I have to admit the little booger was enjoying his head rub. I thought I would have to leave them alone for a few minutes. They made me blush! My camera battery gave up on me as we exited. It was expected. It was cool to get as many shots as I did & I'd like to thank all of the divers for making it great day. We ferried over but drove around to go home.
Music starts up-cue in SuperTramp, Take the Long Way Home......I sure do love to dive!
" What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Wow...way to add to a report Mike, great job! Your pictures turned out great.
BDub wrote:Good job with the first video, Sheahan.

IIRC, the trawler's name is the "Helen H". Haven't done that in a few years. Fun dive.

Thanks for sharing
Thanks! I thought there might be a name, but I was to excited to post the video to look it up.
Sockmonkey wrote:Nice job with the vid dude. Looks like it was a fun one... worth the drive no?

-Eric
Thanks Eric. Ya, it was worth it. But it might be a different story if I was the one driving.
pogiguy05 wrote:Very nice video and I wish I was able to get a dive in on Sunday there. definitely going back.
Big thanks to you south end divers! You keep posting about your trips, and we will eventually have to come check them out!
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

Great stuff! Sounds like you guys had a tremendous set of dives!!! :metal:
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
2loud4u
Compulsive Diver

Post by 2loud4u »

Nice summary and pictures MJ, sounds like you guys had a blast.

Brendan
FTM ~ PTB ~ EGH ~ RFB ~ KTF ~ DTRT
Cold_H2O
Aquaphile

Post by Cold_H2O »

I miss diving Sund Rock. Its always worth the drive.
Lots of Wolfies and GPO's you just have to look for them sometimes.
octo$teve43
Frequent Bubbler

Post by octo$teve43 »

definatley one of the best dives. certainly the best dives at sund rock. and for sure going again soon
raptor
Dive-aholic

Post by raptor »

What kind of camera and housing are you using?
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

raptor wrote:What kind of camera and housing are you using?
It's an old point and shoot Cannon powershot SD630 in a el chepo housing (not sure of the brand, it's blue)
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Nice pics guys .. Glad you had great Vis and you got to dive Sund Rock .. I have dove there with MZ.. And we had a great dive with him , and the shop down there .. Thanks for the report !! :notworthy:
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

Looks like you had a lot of fun on the dives. Been a while since I have been thier myself. Your vid makes me want to go back soon.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

loanwolf wrote:Looks like you had a lot of fun on the dives. Been a while since I have been thier myself. Your vid makes me want to go back soon.

I have been told that summertime is horrible to try to dive Hood Canal. Is it true it's only good in the winter?
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

There are some killer blooms in the summer that can make surface viz non-existent.

Hoodsportndive usually has a viz report on their web site, and a phone call will get you up to the minute reports.

Don Coleman of PacAdventure (see banner add or look them up) would also be a good source for how the viz has been on his last boat dives.

The Hood is always good, but Winter is a fantastic time to dive. If I wasn't chained to my desk I'd be at Sund right now enjoying the viz, and I've already got a charter with Don planned. More than worth it!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Agent 47
Aquaphile

Post by Agent 47 »

That was truly an awesome set of dives and a few of us went back yesterday. Several wolfies and a couple of octos, good visibility and a plethora of other animals to boot.
I do have opinions of my own,,,very strong opinions!,, I just don't allways agree with them.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.