DIW this morning

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
cardiver
I've Got Gills

DIW this morning

Post by cardiver »

Diverbob and I had a great dive this morning at Day Island. Viz was about 15 fsw and we nailed slack!
This was the first time that I've been buzzed by a seal here and it really woke me up. We only saw a copuple of wolfies and 3-4 gpo's but it was nice being able to do a 72 minute dive with very few fin kicks. We rode the current north to the end of the wall, hung out there until the current turned and then rode it south on the wall until the end of our bottom time.
Thanks for coming, Bob!
As a side note. There we a few other divers there this morning and one of them was yelling/talking VERY loud at 0730. If we want to keep diving here we all need to respect the home owners that live here. I know that I'd be pissed if someone was yelling in front of my house at 0 dark-thirty about walking down to the beach and seeing a megaladon jumping out of the sound and eating an airplane.........
Attachments
DSC01027.JPG
DSC01034.JPG
DSC01019.JPG
DSC01015.JPG
DSC01010.JPG
DSC01009.JPG
DSC01006.JPG
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Scuba Scott
Aquaphile

Re: DIW this morning

Post by Scuba Scott »

Nice pictures Ron. Sorry I did not make it down. Sunday's diving was fun with 15 foot viz at R and 3TN. Made short dives due to temp and buddy had a leak in his neck seal. We had lots of divers at 3TN Sunday.
Life can be short and dives even shorter. Time off work will put it all in perspective.

http://www.waterproofdecks.blogspot.com
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Scuba Scott wrote:Nice pictures Ron. Sorry I did not make it down. Sunday's diving was fun with 15 foot viz at R and 3TN. Made short dives due to temp and buddy had a leak in his neck seal. We had lots of divers at 3TN Sunday.
Thanks, Scott. We were both freezing by the end of this dive, too. Couldn't wait to get in the car and crank up the heated seats!
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Nice pics Ron.... Man I wanted to be there today... Life and work getting in the way of my diving again!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Tom Nic wrote:Nice pics Ron.... Man I wanted to be there today... Life and work getting in the way of my diving again!
I hate it when that happens, Tom!
We missed you being there today. We've really got the slack figured out (at least slack before flood) and it seems like 45-50 minutes before slack at the narrows (north end) works really well.
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
Bric Martin
Aquanaut

Post by Bric Martin »

Trust me your pics are killing me! Instead of diving with you I spent $300 bucks on my roof, I actually felt that I got off easy. I hope to get in the water with you guys soon!
Bric Martin

Save the Oceans, Save Ourselves!
RIP LCF
https://goo.gl/photos/tSdZZHXf4xejLBSz5
https://goo.gl/photos/fTCN7LuFvxWYF11e8
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

cardiver wrote:As a side note. There we a few other divers there this morning and one of them was yelling/talking VERY loud at 0730. If we want to keep diving here we all need to respect the home owners that live here. I know that I'd be pissed if someone was yelling in front of my house at 0 dark-thirty about walking down to the beach and seeing a megaladon jumping out of the sound and eating an airplane.........
I know it's not always easy, but when that happens we need to be "self-policing" ... in this case walking over and reminding the guy it's a residential neighborhood and telling him that if we want to keep the dive site we need to be respectful of the folks who live there might've been productive.

I've done that before ... sometimes people just don't think about those things until you bring it up ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
FlyinV
Dive-aholic

Post by FlyinV »

Love the photos!
Jeff V
Octo Buddy Dive Tours - www.octobuddy.com
DiverBob
Compulsive Diver

Post by DiverBob »

Great shot Ron! Thanks again for this morning's dive.
Attachments
Egg's of some kind.
Egg's of some kind.
IMG_0395.JPG
IMG_0413.JPG
Life is good, let's dive!!
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

Nice pics you two! I'm jealous . . . I've only done DIW once and need to get back out there.

And yeah, don't be afraid to tell people to shut their traps. Of course, I have no shame and don't care if people like me. (You know, maybe that's why Defied and I get along.)
Kelly
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

ktb wrote:Nice pics you two! I'm jealous . . . I've only done DIW once and need to get back out there.

And yeah, don't be afraid to tell people to shut their traps. Of course, I have no shame and don't care if people like me. (You know, maybe that's why Defied and I get along.)
I have no problem telling someone to shut thier mouth. Just ask my dive buddies.......
I had more pressing concerns this morning, like getting into my drysuit before I was soaked from the downpour.
I know that the person that was yelling was with a regular here and that she'll pass along the message.
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

For those not familiar with DIW history.

If you look in the old (and new I guess) Betty Pratt book it is listed.
It is not listed in NW Shore Dives. The neighborhood got access closed.
Someone sued for access and was successful. It is a street end right-of-way and NOT the property of the folks on either side of it. For a state with one of the largest shore lines in the nation we have pathetic public access.

The person to the south actually encroached on the path a couple years ago with a remodel. But they are nice folks and don't mind divers and the path is still plenty wide.
The person to the north is 'Mr. Angry Man' and is terminally pissed off at divers and I suspect ANYONE besides property owners on the island. I and others have tried to engage him in friendly chat but he's not at all receptive. Over the years I've had him come out and film us a couple times and even called the cops. They came, saw no problem (there was none), they chatted to show we were talked to and went away.

A few years ago 'Mr. Angry Man' tried circulating a petition among the neighbors to get it closed again. Fortunately he was not successful and most of the neighbors I've talked to don't agree (whew!). I think it was right after a summer weekend with a low exchange. 40+ dive cars showed up. I personally will not dive DIW on weekend low exchange summer days just to keep the traffic down.

A guy I know used to work for the city checked in on this guy. He is well known as a PITA for the administration and the cops. Divers need to watch their manners and keep it that way. He needs to be the problem, not us.

I strongly encourage carpooling and respectable levels of communication on my dive teams and folks are good about it. If they aren't they aren't invited back.

If possible I encourage folks not to park in front of his house either. Yes, it's free and public parking and he has a 2-car garage but for some reason it pisses him off. Also don't park to block the gate on the NE corner of the intersection. The people living there need wheelchair access. They actually had a [NO Scuba Parking] sign up for awhile indicating some diver of limited caring or intellect probably parked their gate out some time. I hope a diver did not tear it down.

Treat the neighborhood like you wish your personal property would be treated by a bunch of strangers that for some odd reason keep congregating there at odd times with odd equipment and doing strange things.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

fmerkel wrote:The person to the north is 'Mr. Angry Man' and is terminally pissed off at divers and I suspect ANYONE besides property owners on the island. I and others have tried to engage him in friendly chat but he's not at all receptive.
Ah yes - fond memories of Mr. Angry. :extinguishflame: On at least two occasions I greeted him respectfully and quietly (from maybe 15' away) and he turned and completely ignored me, not even acknowledging my presence. I'm sure there are many stories from just those on this board - the guy is legendary.

Now I simply do not speak to him, going about my business quickly and quietly. DIW is definitely a place to "get in and get out" and do it quietly - current conditions being #1, not pissing the residents off being #2. (By the way, watch where you park, especially in the morning. I've seen people park very close to the corner and a school bus not be able to make the curve.)

He is a pain, and a potential "danger" (in the sense of getting access cut off if he could work his will), but really it's kind of sad. Wealthy man, (presumably), amazing place to live, and yet so stinkin' unhappy. I kind of feel sorry for the guy. ...but he better not cut off public access! :smt027
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman