oops!!

This forum is provided for the further edification of our club members seeking to improve their knowledge and diving skills. (recreational diving only)
Diver_Dave
I've Got Gills

oops!!

Post by Diver_Dave »

While Keith and Tom were here we all got to talking. We got on the subject of the dumbest diving mistakes people make. You know like forgetting your suit hose, or hood, forgetting to turn your air on. Stuff like that. I thought it would be an interesting idea to start a thread for this subject. So I am curious to know some of the mistakes people make while diving. I am not ashamed to admit that I have made a few myself. No one is perfect.

While I was in Juneau, my son and I had the opportunity to dive the wreck of the Princess Sophia. When we first went down it took a little bit for us to find the wreck. After we found it we got to exploring and bottomed out at about 130ft. It was time to head to the surface as we needed to do a deco stop. There was an old ascent line that I thought went to the surface. That line had been cut off and ended about 15ft from the surface. We hung out there for our deco stop. When we hit the surface we realized that we had made a little mistake. We should not have used that line for our ascent. We broke the surface thinking we were closer to the boat than we really were. Wrong! The boat was a speck on the horizon. Next time we end the dive a little sooner and use the anchor line for our ascent. That would have been one heck of a surface swim. We lucked out and it was a live boat and the driver saw us surface. If he had not seen us we may very well have ended up in Skagway or something with the current the way it was. So now you have one of my mistakes on record.

Can you see the dive boat in this picture? This is the view we had when we surfaced.

D.D.
Sitka,Alaska
Finding things under water....
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

My second time crabbing (the first time I actually caught anything keep-able \:D/ ) I learned that when you hold a crab down and then are getting your hand in position to pick it up (to check gender and soft-shell), DON'T put your fingers on the underside :pale: ... one of the crabs (one of the LARGER ones for that matter) was quite flexible.
#-o
The little bugga got BOTH claws perfectly around two of my fingers and then he told me why he wasn't going in the bag. :angryfire: This was also the first time I realized that you actually CAN yell underwater... and that your dive buddy can sometimes actually know what your saying! Well, I damn near spit my reg out and my buddy came over showing me to "just let him hang until he lets go" (I was trying to pull him off)... that's one of those "easier said than done" situations.

Eventually he let go, and I promptly grabbed him again, measured, and bagged him... he was quite tasty and satisfying to eat that evening. The family was over for the crab boil, but I made sure THAT crab was served to me. :axe:

Lessons learned - only slip your thumb under them enough to get a grip... no further, and never put your fingers underneath. ](*,)
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
diver-dad
Compulsive Diver

Post by diver-dad »

Not REALLY terrible, but bad enough ... while accompanying my kids on one of their checkout dives when they were getting certified, I had forgotten to turn my air back on from when I had set up on on the beach (shore dive) - Lesson Learned = too focused on them; not on me.

Had enough air to inflate my BC for the surface swim, then get about 3 ft down before I was sucking on an MT reg. Kicked to the surface & orally inflated my BC, then turned my air on & continued the dive.

Felt really stupid!! #-o
- DD

"Always do right -- this will gratify some and astonish the rest."
-Mark Twain
runamonk
Aquaphile

Post by runamonk »

LOL that's a good long swim.

My biggest mistake so far was taught to me during our rescue class and by BDub.

We were supposed to go down and find a lost diver. So we drop down, there is three of us. Now I want to preface this with I had been running around all day and I was a little tired and I rushed while on the surface at the shore. We hurry and get all our gear on, I tell my wife to stay on shore and get ready to call for help etc.

We get out there, drop down and start our search. Well after about 5 minutes or so BDub comes up and tells me we're going to share air. I signal ok and pop out my primary and hold it out for him. He takes it and holds it, I reach down for my necklace only to realize it's not there. I hadn't put it on prior to getting into the water. So there I am sitting there blowing bubbles and shaking my fist in the air (water above my head) feeling like a total tard. I grab my octo back from Brian, take a couple breaths while he fishes my necklace from behind me [it's lodged in there good, I would never have gotten it out] and gives it to me. I got everything all put back as it should have been and continued the dive.

Needless to say, I always do a quick test either before I get in the water, on the surface or just as I'm dropping down to make sure I'm not entangled and that my necklace is there LOL.
--
Ron Hines
Naui OW, AOW, Rescue, Nitrox
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

I too have a story that relates to diving with my daughter being more focused on her than myself.

We were at Three Tree N. doing a nice long surface swim out to the bouy's. As we started to descend, I dumped all of my air and continued to float , it was then that I realized, I forgot ALL of my weights back at the truck :pale:

My favorite mistake has to be walking in and my dry suit Zipper was not fully closed. {COLD!} :toimonster:
diver-dad
Compulsive Diver

Post by diver-dad »

I guess the message (for me anyway) is that no one's perfect, and the little things that go wrong make you a better diver overall. #-o Certainly you remember the specific foul-up, but for me, I sometimes take a different approach to doing things because of it. [-X

Kind of like getting a speeding ticket when you've been daydreaming as you drive makes you pay better attention to what you're supposed to be doing: watching the road.
- DD

-Mark Twain
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

...and if things start going wrong, thumb the dive. Accidents can happen at the string of otherwise "small/insignificant" events.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
diver-dad
Compulsive Diver

Post by diver-dad »

Sounder wrote:...and if things start going wrong, thumb the dive. Accidents can happen at the string of otherwise "small/insignificant" events.
Absolutely right!!!
- DD

-Mark Twain
Dogboy
Aquaphile

Post by Dogboy »

Well, let's see;
There was the dive not too long ago when I left my drysuit hanging at home. Luckily, my dive buddy (son) had left his hanging next to mine, so I didn't have to hear about it from him. My wife bailed us out by meeting us halfway for a drysuit(s) hand-off.
Then there was the time years ago when I turned on my air, and my buddy during the buddy-check then turned it off and back on 1/2 a turn. Breathed fine at the surface, but got a little hard to breath at 60 ft!
diver-dad
Compulsive Diver

Post by diver-dad »

Dogboy wrote:... Then there was the time years ago when I turned on my air, and my buddy during the buddy-check then turned it off and back on 1/2 a turn. Breathed fine at the surface, but got a little hard to breath at 60 ft!
That ol' "righty-tighty, lefty-loosy" thing? #-o

(Are you sure he was your "buddy?")
Last edited by diver-dad on Fri Dec 01, 2006 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- DD

-Mark Twain
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

runamonk wrote:
We get out there, drop down and start our search. Well after about 5 minutes or so BDub comes up and tells me we're going to share air
I'll lay 50/50 odds that BDub threw that OOA at you precisely because your necklace wasn't around your neck.

BDub? You that crafty?
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Dogboy wrote: Then there was the time years ago when I turned on my air, and my buddy during the buddy-check then turned it off and back on 1/2 a turn. Breathed fine at the surface, but got a little hard to breath at 60 ft!
Why do people feel the urge to check other people's valves? On a charter a while back, the captain closed my isolator on my doubles for "transport" back from the fill shed. I caught it that morning (I'm anal about my isolators) but was a bit surprised . . .

Just a different way of doing things.
runamonk
Aquaphile

Post by runamonk »

dsteding wrote:
runamonk wrote:
We get out there, drop down and start our search. Well after about 5 minutes or so BDub comes up and tells me we're going to share air
I'll lay 50/50 odds that BDub threw that OOA at you precisely because your necklace wasn't around your neck.

BDub? You that crafty?
That's exactly why he did it. He's a sneaky sneaky man. He saw it wasn't around my neck and knew I couldn't get to it behind my back. I learned a valuable lesson that day. ;)
--
Ron Hines
runamonk
Aquaphile

Post by runamonk »

dsteding wrote:
Dogboy wrote: Then there was the time years ago when I turned on my air, and my buddy during the buddy-check then turned it off and back on 1/2 a turn. Breathed fine at the surface, but got a little hard to breath at 60 ft!
Why do people feel the urge to check other people's valves? On a charter a while back, the captain closed my isolator on my doubles for "transport" back from the fill shed. I caught it that morning (I'm anal about my isolators) but was a bit surprised . . .

Just a different way of doing things.
I always check to make sure my buddies valves are on, I don't turn them off and then back on or anything like that. They have them setup how they want them, I just make sure they're not off.

I don't like people touching me or my gear unless I ask for help. I just don't want anything messed with unless it's blatantly wrong hehe.
--
Ron Hines
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

dsteding wrote:
runamonk wrote:

BDub? You that crafty?
Nah...PURELY coincidental ;)

50/50 odds is all you give me for that????

It was a very good learning experience for him (as well as great entertainment for me!)...I was prepared to deploy my longhose (nothing like a dual air share eh?), because it was obvious he was going to need it...the funniest part though was watching Ron try to figure out how he was going to get air without having to use the longhose I had in front of his face. He finally started pumping his fist out of frustration and accepted it as I rubbed my 2 index fingers together, giving him the "tisk tisk" sign. The point was taken...

All in good fun.
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
runamonk
Aquaphile

Post by runamonk »

LOL.

Yeah if I could have kicked myself in the butt I would have done it right then.

It was pretty cool and I could tell you really were enjoying it haha.

I learned a lot during that whole class but I really learned that yes it's an emergency and yes you need to move quickly but never so quickly that you don't do your checks. :bootyshake:
--
Ron Hines
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

Okay, maybe more like 80/20.

Those types of issues are a great way to remember things, Ron I bet you'll never enter the water without checking your backup again.

A personal example:

On the recent Sechelt trip (second dive on the Chaud) I ended up at 60 feet on the wreck with no suit inflation. Here is how it happened:

After the first dive, I left my argon bottle valve open. Had about 2500 psi in the bottle, and that is good for 3-4 dives for me. Figured I'd be fine. I got in my rig, did my equipment check, including pressing my suit inflator (it worked), and hopped in the water.

At about 30 feet I went to put a little gas in my suit, and heard this whining noise come from my first stage on my argon bottle (I now know this is the sound of your bottle going empty). I was like "hmmm, funny noise" but didn't put two and two together until later. At 45 feet I went to inflate the suit, and no joy. I signal Bob, and keep going down about 10 more feet while communicating the issue. At this point I am getting really acquainted with the joys of suit squeeze. Bob gets me on top of the wreck at about 55-60 feet (got to be a bit negative as gas is going to be put into my suit) disconnects his suit inflator, gives me a shot of gas (which got me almost awkwardly close to Bob, I like the guy and all, but hugging him while on top of a 360 foot ship at 60 feet is a bit strange). I get some gas in my suit, but decided to thumb the dive because we'd be going deeper, and this method of inflation was a bit too awkward and, uh, intimate for me. The dive was going to hell, and I figured I wouldn't push it.

I'm at the ascent line, vis is great, so I signal Bob and Jason to continue the dive (which they did until Bob's compass did a free ascent to the surface, but that is another story). I do an ascent while they watch and return to the boat.

Obviously, the LP hose had been leaking, we diagnosed the issue on the boat (hey, look at that, your valve can come off!) and fixed it for later in the day. My mistake was (a) leaving the bottle on and (b) not checking that silly little button gauge before suiting up.

The suit-squeeze hickies were impressive, btw. That wont' happen again . . .
Last edited by dsteding on Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
runamonk
Aquaphile

Post by runamonk »

Ah LOL. That's just good stuff. I like Bob too but I don't think I want to be give him a bear hug on a wreck. Well not unless a seals tries to get really friendly with me, in which time I might try and distract him with Bob. ;)

Yep, I'll never forget to check my backup again. It was good lesson and well worth it. :)
--
Ron Hines
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Post by dsteding »

runamonk wrote: not unless a seals tries to get really friendly with me, in which time I might try and distract him with Bob. ;)
If Bob's father-like relationship with Junior is any indication, it wouldn't be the uh, first time for Bob.

I always think it is best to leave such things to the experts . . .

[crap, time to go run and hide]
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Ah, I could tell you some stories about Junior ... but since telling those got me in trouble on another board, I think I'll just keep quiet (for a change) ... [-X

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Dogboy
Aquaphile

Post by Dogboy »

Grateful Diver wrote:Ah, I could tell you some stories about Junior ... but since telling those got me in trouble on another board, I think I'll just keep quiet (for a change) ... [-X

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Oh. come on and share- you could be the next big thing on The Animal Planet- "Grateful Diver, The Seal Whisperer".
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Dogboy wrote:
Grateful Diver wrote:Ah, I could tell you some stories about Junior ... but since telling those got me in trouble on another board, I think I'll just keep quiet (for a change) ... [-X

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Oh. come on and share- you could be the next big thing on The Animal Planet- "Grateful Diver, The Seal Whisperer".
You can read all about it here ...

http://www.northwestdiver.com/showthrea ... with+seals

... that train wreck is one reason I stopped participating so much on that board. Too many people just lurking around looking for an argument ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Dogboy
Aquaphile

Post by Dogboy »

Way cool, I missed this thread before on the other site (or it was before my return to the world of diving). I guess I need to get out night diving more, is this when you usually run into the harbor seals? Working nights, 4/10's (1900-0500, fri-sat-sun off), it has been hard to get a night dive in. Yeah, before I here it from everybody, my dive buddy (son), works a different schedule, as does my back into the scuba world wife. Shiftwork sucks, except I have the best job in the world!
runamonk
Aquaphile

Post by runamonk »

Grateful Diver wrote:
Dogboy wrote:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

... that train wreck is one reason I stopped participating so much on that board. Too many people just lurking around looking for an argument ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
LOL Bob, you got chewed out didn't ya?

Bah they don't know you like the rest of us do. I think it's hilarious that Junior digs you so much. Reminds of me Earl (with Abyssal) he's built like you. Well I guess the sea lions really took a liking to him on one of his dives hehe.

I love these kinds of stories. :)
--
Ron Hines
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Grateful Diver wrote:
Dogboy wrote:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Oh My Goodness... have I ever led a sheltered life #-o That was a scary read on that board! I LOVE NWDiveClub! \:D/ Let's keep it as nice as it's been!