Hollis H-160 vs Dive xtra Sierra???

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Re: Hollis H-160 vs Dive xtra Sierra???

Post by pensacoladiver »

CaptnJack wrote:
I can barely pick up my ass to get it out of bed. I sure as hell ain't luggin no one elses scooter around for them any time soon.
Gotta go wrestle some halibut and get in shape![/quote]

I don't know about wrestling with them. I sure would like to take a shot to stone one though. However, this thing called "work" seems to keep getting in the way.
Paulicarp
Aquanaut

Post by Paulicarp »

Nwbrewer wrote:Ok, nobody else posted this, so I will.

Dash, HTF do you "accidentally" buy a $3000 item? I can't buy a $20 LED anywhere without providing all sorts of personal information, shipping info, credit card info, (including the cool little number on the back). So seriously, HOW do you F' that up?
It's right up there in the same category as overshooting your planned depth by 100% while forgetting your dive light. It's a little bit hard to believe, but if there's anyone can do it...
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

Paulicarp wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:Ok, nobody else posted this, so I will.

Dash, HTF do you "accidentally" buy a $3000 item? I can't buy a $20 LED anywhere without providing all sorts of personal information, shipping info, credit card info, (including the cool little number on the back). So seriously, HOW do you F' that up?
It's right up there in the same category as overshooting your planned depth by 100% while forgetting your dive light. It's a little bit hard to believe, but if there's anyone can do it...
:penelope: #-o now i know how beaver felt.
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Dashrynn wrote: now i know how beaver felt.
To quote my favorite post of the month:

You wouldn't know how beaver felt if you were in a womens prison with a fistful of pardons :penelope: :bow:
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:You wouldn't know how beaver felt if you were in a womens prison with a fistful of pardons :penelope: :bow:
POW.

nice one.
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:

You wouldn't know how beaver felt if you were in a womens prison with a fistful of pardons :penelope: :bow:
Well done sir... well done =D>

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

3 pages .. :popcorn:
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
kat
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by kat »

out of curiosity, what was your ascent rate on your last scooter dive?
"As long as you get everything tucked into your pants, you are good to go." -wasp7000
BDub
I've Got Gills

Post by BDub »

kat wrote:out of curiosity, what was your ascent rate on your last scooter dive?
You mean this?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwV-JucQktQ[/youtube]
http://www.frogkickdiving.com/

"It's a lot easier when you're not doing it" - CaseyB449

"There needs to be more strawberry condoms. Just not on my regulator" - DSteding
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

pensacoladiver wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:
Dashrynn wrote:Hell yeah! I can't wait to scooter all these spots I hear about. Did you know they actually have classes to drive dpv's??? What's next underwater stop lights??? Then underwater cops! Then instead of a light they have machine guns!!

Oh the ideas!

Don't be so quick to dismiss a class there Mr. "oops I'm at 120' in the dark" There are probably some aspects of emergency scooter management that you haven't thought of.
Could you possibly mean something like letting go of the thing to dangle behind you and then getting the tow cord wrapped around the trigger?

This did not happen to me, but someone actually took the time to explain the possibility of it. I had not even thought of that up to that moment.
A scooter class? Silly boys, if you're an underwater MacGyver you don't need silly classes like that. You can learn anything you want on your own - what could go wrong? I bet next you're going to try to talk him into taking one of "those scooter classes" that doesn't even come with a c-card to put toward master diver.

Sheesh - silly people like Scott, Brian, and Andrew are always trying to teach these useless classes.

(Curtis - I dare you to take a scooter class from one of the three above instructors.)
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

27 fpm ascent and a 55 fpm descent
Paulicarp
Aquanaut

Post by Paulicarp »

Sounder wrote:A scooter class? Silly boys, if you're an underwater MacGyver you don't need silly classes like that.
Is there a class for "underwater MacGyvering"? I suppose not. That's the kind of skilz you either got or don't got.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Sounder wrote:A scooter class? Silly boys, if you're an underwater MacGyver you don't need silly classes like that. You can learn anything you want on your own - what could go wrong? I bet next you're going to try to talk him into taking one of "those scooter classes" that doesn't even come with a c-card to put toward master diver.

Sheesh - silly people like Scott, Brian, and Andrew are always trying to teach these useless classes.

(Curtis - I dare you to take a scooter class from one of the three above instructors.)

Not to be a jerk, or anything, but I never took a class. Neither did any of my buddies. To be fair, I had a hard time finding my groove w/ the CUDA; and perhaps it would have been a lot easier if I HAD taken a class. I did have a deep pool of experienced buddies to help me learn the ropes. And I would not want anyone to just buy a scoot and go dive it without at least that. And some of my buddies just "got it" much faster than I did.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
lundysd
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by lundysd »

Josh,

I don't doubt that some people could probably learn to safely scooter, but I think the VAST majority of divers out there would greatly benefit from taking a formal scooter class.

Let me ask this -- for those of you who own a scooter -- how many times have you towed or practiced a tow? What about practiced runaway scooter techniques? I'm not saying you couldn't learn it, but in my experience many scooter divers have never learned/practiced this if they haven't taken a class. Without these skills, scootering becomes much more risky imho.
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

CaptnJack wrote:
ljjames wrote:can't really use the voltage difference in batteries for a sierra / hollis comparison as the motor is different. What i was trying to say is that you'll see the difference in going, say, from a Standard gavin to a Mini-G, or a SS SLA to a NiMH.
Agree, for any given motor you can squeak a bit more out of it by upping the voltage a little. Esp. with batteries that don't have as much voltage drop under load - aka super sierra Li-Ion is the most obvious example. This is essentially what is happening when they rewind the Oceanic motors for Gavins and and SSs.

There are too many tacos and beers on this board to get into these details tho. ;)
I may be off on this, but that seems to me to be one of the better, quicker ways to fry those brushed motors.... no?
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
pensacoladiver
I've Got Gills

Post by pensacoladiver »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:

DUDE,

You took my post and made it CLASSIC. YOU my friend now have the post of the month!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Joshua Smith wrote:
Sounder wrote:A scooter class? Silly boys, if you're an underwater MacGyver you don't need silly classes like that. You can learn anything you want on your own - what could go wrong? I bet next you're going to try to talk him into taking one of "those scooter classes" that doesn't even come with a c-card to put toward master diver.

Not to be a jerk, or anything, but I never took a class. Neither did any of my buddies. To be fair, I had a hard time finding my groove w/ the CUDA; and perhaps it would have been a lot easier if I HAD taken a class. I did have a deep pool of experienced buddies to help me learn the ropes. And I would not want anyone to just buy a scoot and go dive it without at least that. And some of my buddies just "got it" much faster than I did.
I completely agree and of course would dive with you anytime... but you have above-average buddies who have EXTREMELY above-average scooter skills. I'm fortunate enough to be in that same position, though the class was a great introduction for me when I made the jump to the MarCuda. I'll never forget towing Big Greg W. in full technical gear while Scott C. tried to keep up. That class was quite an eye opener for me of what COULD go wrong and how to handle it.

It was definitely an intro class, and I'm excited to do a MUCH more advanced class sometime soon. With school finally over, I'm excited to finally get to some training I've been wanting for a long time - an advanced scooter training among them.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
bigsky
Dive-aholic

Post by bigsky »

congratulations on your new toy
they really are fun
you will have a blast

take a class?
hell with that
ride the damn thing
you bought a great toy
play

there are many scooter pilots on
here that will give you a hand
if you want, weighting, balancing
tow cord adjustment or general questions
just ask, one of the friendlies will show up
and help out

but with the light in the front
how do you scooter in the dark?
nighttime phosphorescence is cool
like a rocket ship
i know the difference between right and wrong
wrong is usually the fun one
smike
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by smike »

So you have a brushed motor. 20% loss in efficiency over a brushless. The loss in efficiency is heat, in the motor.

To make up for the loss in efficiency, put a larger battery in there (more amp hours), just to make up the difference in efficiency.

To make up for the efficiency loss' effect on the thrust, you drive it with a higher voltage, heating up the motor even more.

Not a formula I want in my scooter.
Behold, the King reigns! You are his publicity agents. Therefore advertise, advertise, advertise, the King and his kingdom.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

The N-19 uses the proprietary Submerge Heavy Duty brushed motor, which has proven
reliability, and as can be seen from the data presented on page 1, is clearly the more efficient
and powerful motor.
The X-Sierra, uses a less powerful brushless motor, which saves about 1.5 Kg in weight but
sacrifices efficiency and power.

Silent submerge says this about their scooter vs x scooter.... I'm confused even more than usial.
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Dashrynn wrote:The N-19 uses the proprietary Submerge Heavy Duty brushed motor, which has proven
reliability, and as can be seen from the data presented on page 1, is clearly the more efficient
and powerful motor.
The X-Sierra, uses a less powerful brushless motor, which saves about 1.5 Kg in weight but
sacrifices efficiency and power.

Silent submerge says this about their scooter vs x scooter.... I'm confused even more than usial.

What are you referring to?
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
lundysd
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by lundysd »

Sure they say that :)

They also happened to build a new scooter -- the Magnus -- that uses a direct clone of the Cuda motor. This motor is brushless, so clearly their argument about brushed vs brushless isn't as clear as they made it out to be :)
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

The motor in the SS N-19 and the Hollis is roughly the same. They are rewound Oceanic motors dating back to roughly the time of the 1980s Tekna (which later become the Mako). Dash, its funny how SS touts their brushed motor in the N-19 but then turns around and builds a brushless "Magnus" scooter a year later.

Brushed motor technology is pretty much maxed out with the Hollis/Gavin/N-19 rewinds. You could build a bigger more powerful brushed motor which would run cooler and more efficiently but its going to be too large and heavy (with the magnets) to be practical in a scooter. That is why people have shifted to brushless in the Cuda & now Magnus. The Sierra predates these 2 scooters although its pretty obvious which company is coming up with the design ideas like brushless motors, electronic speed controls, more efficient fixed props, Li-ion batteries, more efficient high voltage batteries, etc and then getting copied.

IMHO the Hollis is an amalgamation of other people's ideas. Some are good ones, some not so good. But its not an original cutting edge design. That doesn't mean it won't work for you tho.

Neither Hollis not SS has had the stones to show up in Tahoe. Rodney esp. just flings poo on TDS because he doesn't understand objective performance data - instead he runs his own little non-repeatable test in Ginnie and hypes it to no end.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

After reading more data on either one I would say the sierra is more efficient...if it had the ahs like the n19 then it would be able to run atleast .7 more miles. according to data I found.

heres where i found out all the data. http://www.silent-submersion.com/Produc ... a_V1.1.pdf
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Dashrynn wrote:After reading more data on either one I would say the sierra is more efficient...if it had the ahs like the n19 then it would be able to run atleast .7 more miles. according to data I found.

heres where i found out all the data. http://www.silent-submersion.com/Produc ... a_V1.1.pdf

The paper in the link refers to the "older" 13ah Sierra batteries vs the "newer 16ah ones. This alone bridges about half the gap in capacity vs the N19.