This week on Evening Magazine...me!

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
SeattleYates
Aquaphile

This week on Evening Magazine...me!

Post by SeattleYates »

My underwater photography is going to be featured on King 5, Seattle's NBC Affiliate, on the August 18th (Wednesday) episode of Evening Magazine (7PM, channel 5)! If you have a chance, tune in! :popcorn: And if you don't get Seattle stations, it should be available on the internet the next day...I'll post a link once I have one.

It's interesting - they did a full hour-long interview, but will likely only use a few snippets ("sound bites"?), since the whole "story" on E.M. will only be a few minutes long! It should include some underwater footage of me taking photos from a recent Cayman Islands trip (either Stingray City or me shooting a jawfish), as well as an assortment of my photos from around the world. Hopefully I won't come off as a total dork (I've never been on TV, so I was pretty nervous for the interview!).

The reporter who interviewed me (Michael King) seemed quite intrigued by sharks, and I'm concerned that the whole focus will be sharks, and that they'll try to sensationalize it, rather than using my comments about shark conservation, shark-fin soup, etc. I do know they're going to discuss a current exhibit of my photos at the Clyde Hill Tully's, which includes a 5-foot high print of my "Cheshire Cat Grin" (my avatar at right), which was on display in the Smithsonian last year because it won the Oceans category of Nature's Best Photography's big competition.

Anyway, this is all part of my "15 minutes" - all triggered by taking one lucky shot of a shark that looks like he's grinning! Go figure! :dontknow:
Bruce Yates
Photography: http://www.UnderwaterReflections.com
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Re: This week on Evening Magazine...me!

Post by Grateful Diver »

That's how it works ... last year (or was it the year before) I did that radio interview ... and it turned out to really center around GPO's. They want something that most people know at least a little about, to create the interest for a wider audience than just divers.

Yeah, when the editors get ahold of it they will turn an hour's worth of interview into about 5-10 minutes of story ... but in my case they made it a pretty good story. Hope yours turns out as well. Doubt I'll get a chance to watch ... I'm rarely home during those hours, and even more rarely home with the TV on. But I will be interested in hearing reports about how it turned out.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Way cool, Bruce! I will eagerly await your link, being down here in SW Washington.

- Janna
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Berritt
Aquaphile

Post by Berritt »

That's very cool. Congratulations! I'll be watching for the link :)
Lonestar
Compulsive Diver

Post by Lonestar »

Nice reward for your work. Congrats!
Tim McClung

22nd Annual Scott Firefighter Stair Climb, support it: http://www.llswa.org/site/TR/Events/Big ... fr_id=1280
sitkadiver
Submariner

Post by sitkadiver »

Congratualtions, I'll set the DVR since we get Seattle TV up here. Can't wait to see it....
I do not believe in taking unnecesary risks, but a life without risk is not worth living.
-Charles Lindbergh
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Bruce, your 15 minute fame streak is just a beginning , remember, the first one was hanging in Smithsonian, now TV - who knows what will tomorrow bring :)
There is more in your future! Congratulations !
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
SeattleYates
Aquaphile

Post by SeattleYates »

Hey, those of you online, "my" episode starts in 5 minutes (7PM) on channel 5! Tune in and tell me if you think I look like a total dork! :calvin:
Bruce Yates
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields
Blaiz
Pelagic

Post by Blaiz »

Ok just got home, where's my link??
The student was ready.

it's nice to have low expectations, sometimes - lcf

I said keep going, not start whining -airsix
SeattleYates
Aquaphile

Post by SeattleYates »

Blaiz wrote:Ok just got home, where's my link??
Here's the link!
http://www.king5.com/on-tv/evening-maga ... 33094.html

(Click on the square at bottom right to get full screen. Oh, and they make you watch a commercial first.)
Last edited by SeattleYates on Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bruce Yates
Blaiz
Pelagic

Post by Blaiz »

Very nice. Quite flattering, you looked good! :joshsmith: I liked your topside pic of grizzly with seagull lol!

I hope you appreciate this, it took me eight minutes to download the video :neener:
The student was ready.

it's nice to have low expectations, sometimes - lcf

I said keep going, not start whining -airsix
Lonestar
Compulsive Diver

Post by Lonestar »

I'll have to try again but on the uber fast PC, it was taking so long with the laptop that I gave up.
Tim McClung

22nd Annual Scott Firefighter Stair Climb, support it: http://www.llswa.org/site/TR/Events/Big ... fr_id=1280
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Bruce! That was awesome!! I was very impressed. You handled yourself in a very non-doofusy way. And your story is very interesting too - I especially admire how you've donated the $$ from your photography to a children's charity. That makes it doubly cool. Or Triply cool. Maybe more :joshsmith:

- Janna
Janna Nichols
><((((°>
SeattleYates
Aquaphile

Post by SeattleYates »

nwscubamom wrote:Bruce! That was awesome!! I was very impressed. You handled yourself in a very non-doofusy way. And your story is very interesting too - I especially admire how you've donated the $$ from your photography to a children's charity. That makes it doubly cool. Or Triply cool. Maybe more :joshsmith:
- Janna
Thanks for the kind words! I was really self-conscious (being my first time on TV), but I think they did a nice job, and I was happy that they mentioned ICSF by name - hopefully that will garner some donations! Of course, they only used a few short "sound bites" out of the hour-long interview (I talked about Nature's Best Photography, the PKD Foundation, and tons of other stuff), but I realize than in a few minutes, most of it had to be left out.

Just for the record, I did NOT suggest "staring down" sharks! I simply said that, with small sharks, often if you just looked straight at them, they will veer away because they seem able to recognize your eyes (I guess they felt a need to spice it up a little!). ;)
Bruce Yates
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

SeattleYates wrote:Just for the record, I did NOT suggest "staring down" sharks! I simply said that, with small sharks, often if you just looked straight at them, they will veer away because they seem able to recognize your eyes (I guess they felt a need to spice it up a little!). ;)
SOOOO typical of the media! Apparently diving in locations around the world, and capturing amazing images (one of which is now hanging in the Smithsonian) isn't JUICY ENOUGH for them. HAH!

I'd be happy just to see one of my images in Tully's coffee shop! :partydance:

Great going, Bruce. I love the story surrounding the grinning shark shot too - taken from the swimstep!

- Janna
Janna Nichols
><((((°>
Berritt
Aquaphile

Post by Berritt »

That was so awesome.Congratulations! It went great!
Lonestar
Compulsive Diver

Post by Lonestar »

Very nice job, again congrats
Tim McClung