Your daily moment of "Awww..." and awe.

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
lavachickie
Dive-aholic

Your daily moment of "Awww..." and awe.

Post by lavachickie »

Can't stop watching this little clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQDewvy- ... r_embedded

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQDewvy- ... r_embedded[/youtube]

Crank it up to HD and go full screen. The seal's mannerisms are so like my dog, Marissa. The sweet connection gives me goosebumps!
Hey Oregon Divers: check out Oregon Scuba Club! http://oregonscuba.com
Looking forward to Roatan June 2016.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Re: Your daily moment of "Awww..." and awe.

Post by Nwbrewer »

Cool video. That guy was getting the most out of his fill, I think I saw him breathe 1 time in the whole video.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
4ster
Dive-aholic

Post by 4ster »

Nice, thanks for posting that.
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Nwbrewer wrote:Cool video. That guy was getting the most out of his fill, I think I saw him breathe 1 time in the whole video.
Maybe to not startle the seal with bubbles? I noticed that too.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

wow, super cute.

he was probably holding back his bubbles to not startle the seal, and maybe also to make a better image for the video. ask calvin how he feels about his models exhaling....
lundysd
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by lundysd »

Yea sometimes I just like to go hang out at my island and play with them myself :)

Awesome clip -- reminds me of Kawika Chetron's fantastic shot
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

Super friendly guy in the video! I've had them come close, but never interact.
Kelly
SeattleYates
Aquaphile

Post by SeattleYates »

TOO cute! I had a 5-minute interaction with a very young sea lion in the Sea of Cortez once, but nothing like that. The little fella in this video was acting almost like a puppy!
And I thought the diver must be on some new kind of rebreather for awhile there!

Thanks for sharing the clip!
Bruce Yates
Photography: http://www.UnderwaterReflections.com
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields
Berritt
Aquaphile

Post by Berritt »

So cool. I wish that was me!
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Oh My Goodness!!! What a cutie! Amazing interaction....

Makes me think I should have gotten a Greenwater Magic Filter for my trip to Neah Bay this week.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
lavachickie
Dive-aholic

Post by lavachickie »

Has anyone tried one of those in our waters? I'm SO curious... enough to get one. It's just a slice of gel so it's kinda $$$ to get it and have it shipped from England. But... addictions cost, no? =-)

Use of that filter would make for an interesting "rediscovery" of everything as you review the photos, which are going to be a totally different color shift from what you saw!

@lundysd - what an amazing photo. Thanks for mentioning that, I went to his web site and saw some amazing things. The 15 favorites are stunners. http://www.coldwaterimages.com/favorite_fifteen.html A sad loss!
Hey Oregon Divers: check out Oregon Scuba Club! http://oregonscuba.com
Looking forward to Roatan June 2016.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

lavachickie wrote:Has anyone tried one of those in our waters? I'm SO curious... enough to get one. It's just a slice of gel so it's kinda $$$ to get it and have it shipped from England. But... addictions cost, no? =-)

Use of that filter would make for an interesting "rediscovery" of everything as you review the photos, which are going to be a totally different color shift from what you saw!
I have not used the green one - which is designed for our waters.

I have used the Auto-Magic in Bonaire, which is designed for clear water, shallow (less than 40fsw) and ambient light with a point and shoot set on auto. I'm sorry to say that I only used it on one dive . I wish I had used it more. I REALLY liked the results, though it definitely took some getting used to in order to be able to compose the shots to take advantage of the ambient light. Their web site is very helpful with the particulars. The only thing I would say is that if you have that filter on you aren't going to be shooting macro unless it's very shallow water.

I'm guessing that the Green Filter would be IDEAL taking ambient light pictures in our waters in conditions of really good viz - TTN when it's 50+, for example, or many sites on Vancouver Island that are green water but spectacular viz, or, as I have heard - Neah Bay. :axe:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Blaiz
Pelagic

Post by Blaiz »

Very cute... very cute indeed, and much resembling my little dog being curious too!
The student was ready.

it's nice to have low expectations, sometimes - lcf

I said keep going, not start whining -airsix
Mongo
Compulsive Diver

Post by Mongo »

Wow! I had to pet my dog after watching.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

after i typed in Lundy Island on you tube , it looks like these seals are ultra friendly with divers.. in every movie they seem to be in love with divers fins.. in one of the movies the seal just lays down on the divers fin and cuddles up with it ... this movie was also amazing ... all the Lundy Island seal movies are cool ... I wish we had a dive spot like that here were we could interact with seals in a playfull manner

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_graFt2 ... re=related[/youtube]
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Mongo
Compulsive Diver

Post by Mongo »

^^^ Yeah, In one of the videos it looked like a seal was preparing to dry...er... wet hump the divers leg. ^^^
SeattleYates
Aquaphile

Post by SeattleYates »

lavachickie wrote:Has anyone tried one of those in our waters? I'm SO curious... enough to get one. It's just a slice of gel so it's kinda $$$ to get it and have it shipped from England. But... addictions cost, no? =-)
Like Tom, I've used the regular (blue-water) Magic Filters before, and they work quite well, as long as you have sufficient ambient light (and shoot with the sun behind you). I know Dr. Alex Mustard, the world-renowned uw photographer who invented/developed Magic Filters, and since his home waters (U.K.) are a bit like ours, I'm guessing he did a good job with the green-water filters. BTW, you might start a thread asking if NWDC members want to do a "group buy" to share the cost of having a bunch of them shipped here (I'd buy a couple - I've been thinking of doing it anyway). The only "trouble" with using Magic Filters on a still camera is that you pretty much have to commit to shooting the whole dive with ambient light (no strobes), but once in awhile it might be worth doing.
Bruce Yates
Photography: http://www.UnderwaterReflections.com
"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damned fool about it." WC Fields