anybody know a good mechanic?

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Re: anybody know a good mechanic?

Post by ArcticDiver »

Reminds me of a F150 I used to own. Ran it loaded to the top of the cab with tile, tools, tanks, compressors, whatever I needed. Many of these trips were on the AlCAN, or worse. After a couple years someone told me I was way overloaded. So, I pulled into a Weigh Station in Montana. Not overloaded Much. I had 3000 pounds in its bed. So much for manufacturer's labels, which I think mainly come from the lawyers.

I ran that truck for 100K and other than scheduled maintenance and repairing the body from running a snow machine into it only put rear wheel bearings in it every 30K or so. It was sold because body style changed and I wanted a new truck, could afford a new truck and bought a new truck. The new owner was pleased as punch to get the old one.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Well, I think I found what I needed. A friend turned me on to a place not too far from where I work that has what they call a "crate engine" for that car ... it's a used engine from Japan with about 40K miles on it. I talked to the guy today, and for about $2400 plus tax he's gonna replace the engine and also replace the clutch, water pump, all belts, tensioner, all new plugs, wires, thermostat ... the works ... plus warranty the engine and work for a year.

Guess I get to drive the Element for a while longer. I figure with luck I should get another three or four years out of it.

August has been an expensive month. One of my strobes died ... it's down at Backscatter getting repaired. My 10W Salvo light fizzled ... it just came back from Light Monkey the other day with a new bulb. My lawnmower crapped out on me last week ... I just picked it up on Friday after getting it fixed. And this week-end the battery in my 18W Salvo finally gave up the ghost.

Kinda lookin' forward to September ... I hope ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

As i previously noted we had the same kind of decision on one of our vehicles. We've made much the same decison. We put the money into this one with the idea that we'll take another look in a few months when some other factors come into play. In the meantime we have relatively cheap transportation.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
Scuba Scott
Aquaphile

Post by Scuba Scott »

My wife ACCIDENTALLY drove her Honda in too deep of water and sucked water down the air intake. The insurance covered the cost to replace the motor. Just Saying ....
Life can be short and dives even shorter. Time off work will put it all in perspective.

http://www.waterproofdecks.blogspot.com
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Well, August continues to be a bad month for me ... flooded another strobe tonight.

September can't get here soon enough ... then again, I think I'm running outta expensive stuff to break anyway ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I think I'd find some place cool and dark and hibernate till Monday! :smt064
spudgunman
Compulsive Diver

Post by spudgunman »

rob.laurie wrote:
Hey Bob,
This doesn't sound right. They are trying to cover all bases of compression loss with this list. Ask them to do a leakdown test to pinpoint where the problem is. If its topend (ie valve job/head gasket) it might be worth doing, If its bottom end (ie rings/pistons) you'll probably be better off putting in a used engine or look at replacing your ride. Timing belt can't cause cylinder to cylinder variation like this unless it slipped & bent some valves.

Give me a shout if you need some help, this stuff is what I do for a living.

Cheers,
Rob
agree completely I don't work on things past 1979 but I would look at the same issues.

for sure if its lower end dont bother, its cheaper to find a new engine then fix that one, if it was timing bent crash you likely wouldn't get much at all out of it.

also see if you can find buddy labor, shop time is so damn expensive most shadetree's will do a top end for 2-500 bucks (I would do it if it was a old car :))

*edit didnt read that you got a new engine cool
Kelly(boy)
_____
Per TOS: I explicitly ask you to feel free to criticize me constructively or just because you want to pick on me.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Grateful Diver wrote:Well, August continues to be a bad month for me ... flooded another strobe tonight.

September can't get here soon enough ... then again, I think I'm running outta expensive stuff to break anyway ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
You'll have at least one good backup light for another 4 weeks (because it's safely secured in dry storage 300 miles away) :smt064
Sorry about your recent woes. On the bright side think about how reliable your equipment will be in 2011 (all new). :tomnic:
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey