UW Camera

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

UW Camera

Post by WylerBear »

Well, yesterday it finally happened. My UW housing flooded and my camera is (probably) toast. I'm drying it out but don't hold much hope-I discovered the flood about 10 minutes into a 53 minute dive. So it was taking on salt water for awhile before I was able to rinse it.
Anyway, if I have to get a new camera I'd like some opinions. I had a Canon PowerShot A610. Loved it. Took photos that didn't suck which is a miracle given my impatience at taking pictures. I liked the screen on it because I compared it to previous Canons which had miniscule screens. Since I got that one, I've noticed that a lot of the little digitals are coming out with even bigger screens. I like that feature. Ease of use is very important because I really don't have much patience with trying to get the best shot.
Anyone got suggestions about the camera that they absolutely think is the greatest?
Any help is appreciated.
Georgia

NOT diving is NOT an option
nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by nice-diver »

can you find a camera to fit the same housing...if it was a seal leak and not a crack???
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

I think there is more of a problem than that. I would just think I screwed up and didn't seal it well or had a piece of debris or whatever. But nwscubamom has the same housing/camera and has had the same problem on a smaller scale.
And apparently, the camera model is out of date (it's a little over a year old). I might be able to find a used camera but if the housing is leaking, seems kind of silly.
Georgia

Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

This setup has treated me pretty darn well over the past 8 months or so.
Pringster
Avid Diver

Post by Pringster »

I've seen several of your pics already, Calvin. You won't find me arguing with ya! Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet setup! :prayer:
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I'll second Calvin's suggestion.

Cheng was perfectly happy with her Canon A620 until she saw Calvin's setup ... then she wanted one. Well, she got one for Christmas and she absolutely loves it.

On the other hand Wylerbear, if you want a good deal on a used A620 let me know ... Cheng won't be needing hers anymore ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

Thanks everyone for the comments so far. Bob, I took my housing apart yesterday to lube some essentials parts but I don't hold out much hope for its long term survival. So, I think I'll pass on Cheng's A620. On to a new camera:
The Casio is looking very nice. And Calvin's photos are certainly fantastic. Bob, you use the same camera as Valerie, right? Her photos (and yours) are also great. Valerie's camera has had a couple of glitches but her photos have been spectacular. I attribute a lot of that to her. As I do to the rest of you who get such amazing results. I don't usually get amazing results and I can't blame that too much on the camera. So, what I'm trying to say is ease of use and foolproofness are essential for someone like me. And a big screen.
Anyone else have a camera and housing they can reccommend?
Georgia

cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

The Oly SP 350 that Bob uses and that I use seems to be a great camera. The camera can be had for under 200.00 at Costco and I found the housing for 179.00 on line.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by nice-diver »

I have nikon and us divers tattoo'd on my bottom, well not really but I am brand loyal.

Nikon coolpix 4600 with a nikon housing
sealife digital strobe

Its a couple of years old and I don't know what nikon point and shoots will go into someones housing.

If I loose a camera, I can buy my moms or dads, they have the same one.

some love...some hate the reefmasters
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

I went to Nikon's website & looked at Nikon's housings, then tried to do a search for a Coolpix 4600, 5600, 5900, & 7900-the ones that their housings work with. Couldn't find any of those. Apparently the next generation of Coolpix are out so they don't carry the "older" models anymore. Guess if I really wanted a Nikon I could find one used but I'm not really that invested in them. I have a Coolpix 3100 but have never been outstandingly happy with it.
Casio is still winning out and the chances of saving my Canon & housing are getting slimmer all the time-can't get the SD card into the camera and the housing is looking pretty grim. Still have to try something Janna suggested to try to save the housing. Once I try that, if it's not working, I'm off to the camera store.
Georgia

nice-diver
Compulsive Diver

Post by nice-diver »

go to ikelite.com

then you can see if a housing is available for any camera that suits your fancy

my 4600 is a 4.0 mega
Scubak
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubak »

G!
I am thinking of going with Chengs and Calvins setup with the Casio...It looks pretty good...
K
jeff98208
Aquanaut

Post by jeff98208 »

i use the sealife dc500. they just came out with the dc600. so far i have not had a problem with it, i've been using it since this past august.
TAKE only pictures, KILL only time, LEAVE only bubbles!
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

The Casio camera I use is at Costco right now for $309. I'm sure you can find it even cheaper online but if you want the return policy at costco it might be worth checking into. Also, it *might* come with an SD card.
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

Thanks for the tip. I'll be heading to Costco on Friday to check them out.
Georgia

Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Just a heads up, there's a newer version of this camera out now, the EX-Z1050 and a new housing (not out yet) that goes with it, the E-WC90.

Might not matter much to you WhylerBear, it's a little thinner and has a better OS (image processing). Might or might not be worth the wait.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Tangfish wrote:Just a heads up, there's a newer version of this camera out now, the EX-Z1050 and a new housing (not out yet) that goes with it, the E-WC90.

Might not matter much to you WhylerBear, it's a little thinner and has a better OS (image processing). Might or might not be worth the wait.
Interesting to see if this is actually available now. It will make the 1000 come down in price. Sometimes a new model comes to correct deficiencies in the old... I wonder if that's the case here? Wonder what the price difference is? Time to research!

I'm finding prices in the 250 to 260 range on the internet, but that is without an SD card.

If anyone finds out more about the Costco version please post!
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

I looked up the new version online but couldn't find a price on it. Is it available yet? Or is this a "things to come" sort of deal? I could wait a bit if the new version pushes the old version down in price. But I don't want to miss out on the old one by waiting too long.
BTW, I used my MX-10 the other day. Pictures are fine but man, that wait until you get home, wait for the photos to be developed, using film (an animal product) all sucked.
Georgia

Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

The cameras do come out usually a few months after they're announced. Here's the press release. The problem is, the housings usually follow behind the release of the camera. I wouldn't sweat the price coming down an additional 20 bucks over 4-5 more months. Think of all the great shots you'll miss between now and then!

I'll be upgrading, but more because I am a technophile than because the new version is that much better than the current. Most sites agree that these are minimal updates to an already great camera.
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

OK, I got the camera last night. Where's the best place to get the housing? Casio? Or is there a better (i.e. cheaper) internet company to get it from?
Georgia

cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

When I was shopping for my housing I just Googled the model # of the housing and found the on line store with the best price w/ shipping.
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

yep, cardiver has it nailed.
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

Got it! Just ordered it. Thanks everyone for your help/input/advice/.02.
Georgia

Zen Diver
DAN Ambassador

Post by Zen Diver »

WylerBear wrote:Got it! Just ordered it. Thanks everyone for your help/input/advice/.02.
Woo-hoo! New toys! \:D/

-Valerie
WylerBear
I've Got Gills

Post by WylerBear »

sadly, I won't have the housing in time for our Tuesday dives (will still have the dinosaur film camera) but I'll bring the camera along for you to see. It's extremely cute.
Georgia