OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
Chenari
Dive-aholic

OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!

Post by Chenari »

Dad and I went for an absolutely WONDERFUL dive at TTN today. Not only were there Ratfish everywhere, but we found a very pretty little Octo; Red according to dad.
IMG_2013.JPG
IMG_2020.JPG
But the crowning jewel of the day was...

A JUVENILE WOLF EEL!!!!!!!!!! I was screaming through my Reg at Dad, who was a little ways off and hadn't seen it yet, waving frantically to try and get him over to see this absolutely amazing creature. Dad got some video of it, so I'll let him put that up when its ready. ^_^
Juvenile Wolf Eel.JPG
But as if that wasn't awesome enough!!!! HE CAME OUT!!!! This guy was TI-NY. If he was longer than two feet, I'll be shocked. Take a look at him next to the Cucumbers and Sunflower Stars, he was more like an infant than a juvenile.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThUYQxuOv4o
IMG_2055.JPG
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Re: OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!

Post by dwashbur »

My video will probably be up some time tomorrow, as my computer is a bit slow to put things together. Besides those two guys, one of the most interesting things for me was seeing a big sunflower star gliding over a white-lined dirona. It looks like the dirona is going to be food; the video of that came out pretty bad, but it's in the compilation that I'll be posting once it's done.
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
Blaiz
Pelagic

Post by Blaiz »

nice shots guys!
The student was ready.

it's nice to have low expectations, sometimes - lcf

I said keep going, not start whining -airsix
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Beautiful photos. Really, really nice!
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Okay, here's my video. It includes more than the wolfie, so it's a bit long, but hopefully worth it. We had a pretty good wind coming off the water that created some nice chop for us to battle while putting our fins on, and swimming in it out to one of the buoys was, actually, not as difficult as I had expected. We dropped in 72 fsw right next to a nice ratfish and a cool red irish lord. Our goal was to try and find the cabin cruiser, and after a 56 minute dive in 30-40 foot viz I still haven't found the stupid thing :angry:

Anyway, this was one of the most amazing dives we've ever had in the Sound. Here's my video.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PweT5ZVuxJ0[/youtube]
Dave

--
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

He's definitily a juvinile. He has lost all but a tiny bit of his yellow/orange color and is assuming the adult color patterns.
Chenari
Dive-aholic

Post by Chenari »

Yeah we found that rather odd considering his/her size. It also had no teeth. I've never heard of an adult that was so small before.
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

The wife and I went back to Three Tree today to check on "our" little wolfie. Since he lives in an engine, we've decided to call him Thomas.* He is just so cute and so little, we want to chronicle his growth for as long as he thinks he can fit in this den. This is gonna be fun!

Peeking out to greet us as we arrived
thomas1.jpg
Looks like a little of his orange color is starting to fade?
thomas2.jpg
When Kathy came over the back side of his den, he slipped out a bit further to take a look.
thomas3.jpg
Check out the little white nubs that are rapidly turning into teeth! I wonder if wolf eels have teething problems like human babies?????
thomas4.jpg

The plan right now is to go back at least once a week and check on him, and try to create a sort of photo record of his development. It may or may not work out, but it seems like a worthwhile project, as well as an excuse to dive TTN more often.

*If you get that reference, you may consider yourself at least as nerdy as everyone in our family. I'd be interested to know how many folks actually do get it.
Dave

--
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Very nice pics, looking forward to see the progress . Worthy cause !
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

Chenari wrote:Dad and I went for an absolutely WONDERFUL dive at TTN today. Not only were there Ratfish everywhere, but we found a very pretty little Octo; Red according to dad.
IMG_2013.JPG
what a beautiful shot!
I get excited reading your posts Chenari.... your enthusiasm's rather infectious.... Dad's pretty lucky to have you as a dive buddy!.... keep it up I love reading your post and seeing your pix...

edit... dang... can't get the pic to post in the quote :(
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Chenari
Dive-aholic

Post by Chenari »

Waynne Fowler wrote:I get excited reading your posts Chenari.... your enthusiasm's rather infectious.
Aww thanks Waynne. I always try to get excited about what I see. My philosophy is: If ya don't get excited, then diving isn't any fun. :rawlings:
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

:angelblue:
So far...... it's workin fab!
keep havin fun young lady :partydance: :joshsmith:
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy