Cave Diving Photos from Mexico

Post and discuss beautiful underwater photos and video brought back from the depths of the sea.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: Cave Diving Photos from Mexico

Post by LCF »

Scott, after Peter finishes it, I'd be happy to lend you our copy. I was disappointed in the book, personally. It reads like a fleshed-out course description of sidemount classes. There aren't enough specifics, and the photographs didn't reproduce well in a lot of cases, so what the caption tries to point out, you can't really see. The best part, really, is the very end, where they have people who have designed or who represent the various commercially available setups talk about what they like and don't like about their gear.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
dieseldude
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by dieseldude »

I find it interesting how many folks talk about sidemount in our water and yet I have only seen one guy dumb enough(locally) to get in the water & experiment with it. I'd be willing to be based on the little I know about you Scott, that you have everything you need now to put together a rockin' & safe sidemount setup for cold water. I'd sure rather play with it here & get comfy with it than in a cave somewhere foreign to me. personally though I admire your pic's. cave diving doesnt interest me much but I really like the gear setup.
I'd be happy to meet you somewhere with my setup & have you point out things you see as an issue. I have already made some radical changes that defy the accepted standards & they have made my diving far more enjoyable. Someone has to explore-thats what you cave guys are all about. Your a crafty guy. I've seen pic's of some of the stuff you have built. Build your own system. :supz:
MJ
" What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger"
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

LOVE the photos, Scott! Excellent in every way. The remote strobes are really slick. Thanks for posting.
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

LCF wrote:Scott, after Peter finishes it, I'd be happy to lend you our copy.
Thanks Lynne,

I'll take you up on that kind offer. Especially since the price on the book is rather steep. Let me know when Peter is finished and I'd love to have a chance to read it. Maybe we can actually take you out diving in trade?

We were out on Lake Washington yesterday, and it was COLD, wet and Windy. BRRRR!
DieselDude wrote:I'd be happy to meet you somewhere with my setup & have you point out things you see as an issue. I have already made some radical changes that defy the accepted standards & they have made my diving far more enjoyable. Someone has to explore-thats what you cave guys are all about. Your a crafty guy. I've seen pic's of some of the stuff you have built. Build your own system
Thanks, I may take you up on that. I'm most interested in using sidemount in caves, but definitely plan to get some practice time in locally in our lovely emerald water. I would like to see how your cold-water setup works. I've seem quite a few warm water cave rigs, but have yet to see anyone brave enough to dive locall with it! :angelblue:
waterdog
Frequent Bubbler

Post by waterdog »

Scott, as always- amazing pics. When I get back I really need to pick your brain!
seainggreen
Dive-aholic

Post by seainggreen »

Lovely photos! Thanks for sharing... as well as whetting my appetite for early spring 2011! :)
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln, 1809 - 1865
Seainggreen Productions, LLC
ivankarmel
Just Settling In

Post by ivankarmel »

I was right behind you. I dove with Ale Figari and we did Chan Hol (saw the Mayan Pots, monkey skull and human thigh bones) made lots of jumps off the main line. Just love that little entrance. I posted video on my facebook page of that entrance. The land owner is a great guy and I just love his three dogs. We also dove Minetauro which is similarly tight and almost as equally decorated although browner in color than Chan Hol. Sak Atun another day to Rio Lagartos, downstream and upstream at Car Wash and then my first time at Pet cementary, yes they spell it that way, which is now my favorite We dove on the "dark side of the moon" line which was fantastic. That's a drive up the Dos Ojos road past Dos Ojos cenote, past "The Pit" which is something if you've never seen it to one of the most beautiful little parking areas with nice changing benches, tiled bathrooms that surprise you. Oh and the diving? Very decorated with shallow depths for great bottom time.Loved your photos. What did you shoot them with? Divin' Ivan :supz: