Dive Ladder for Recreational Boat

General banter about diving and why we love it.
twitch
Just Settling In

Dive Ladder for Recreational Boat

Post by twitch »

Hey,

Looking for a stainless steel dive ladder that is both removable and folding for easy travel to and from the dive site.
The boat is a Thunder Jet with an offshore bracket (huge swim platform).

Ladder will be primarily used for seafood collecting off the Oregon Coast, and pleasure diving in the Puget Sound, Neah Bay and San Juans.

Any suggestions?

Anyone know of a custom made company or local company producing them?

Thanks,

T :burntchef:
Thomas Miller
boydski
Submariner

Re: Dive Ladder for Recreational Boat

Post by boydski »

Hi Twitch,

Why not just have a ladder custom built from Aluminum to match your boat? It would be far less expensive, weigh much less and they are easy to make. I had mine custom built by Zeigler welding for about $80. It is permanently attached to my offshore bracket, but could be made removable as well.

twitch
Just Settling In

Post by twitch »

Yeah, I don't know what i was thinking when i said stainless. Aluminum would be much better Scott!

It does have to be removable for storage purposes, as well as the boat being used for much more than diving. Primarily Salmon and Halibut fishing.

Great idea on the custom idea... i'm going to look into that!

Thanks!
Thomas Miller
waterdog
Frequent Bubbler

Post by waterdog »

boydski wrote:Hi Twitch,

Why not just have a ladder custom built from Aluminum to match your boat? It would be far less expensive, weigh much less and they are easy to make. I had mine custom built by Zeigler welding for about $80. It is permanently attached to my offshore bracket, but could be made removable as well.
That's sweet Scott! How long did it take for them to fab that up, and were they easy to work with? Anne and I need one for Diversion, and the ones available on-line are up to $300!!
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

waterdog wrote: That's sweet Scott! How long did it take for them to fab that up, and were they easy to work with? Anne and I need one for Diversion, and the ones available on-line are up to $300!!
Hi Jaime,

Zeigler is super easy to work with. Sometimes they are pretty busy and it may be a few days before they can get to a new project, but the actual time to fabricate a ladder is less than one day. When I took the new boat down there to add a new padeye, the guys moved all of their trucks around to make it easier for me to park the big boat and had me out of there in less than 90 minutes. They should do a great job on your new boat!

If you do go down and ask for a dive ladder, they'll actually go to my web site to see how they built mine. The last time I talked to them, they said they were now making several dive ladders per year.

When are you going to get your new boat out on the water?
waterdog
Frequent Bubbler

Post by waterdog »

boydski wrote:When are you going to get your new boat out on the water?
I get home on or about JAN 19, and we have to "summerize" the motor, because the boat yard in Campbell River winterized her after the mechanical survey. That should only take me an afternoon. Earliest would be the weekend of 22-23, latest would be 29-30. Want to go with us on our maiden voyage?
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

waterdog wrote: Earliest would be the weekend of 22-23, latest would be 29-30. Want to go with us on our maiden voyage?
I'm on call the weekend of the 22nd but would be happy to go the following weekend if that works out. Let's watch the weather and keep in touch!
waterdog
Frequent Bubbler

Post by waterdog »

you got it!