Fly with or ship a scuba tank?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
babs13
Dive-aholic

Fly with or ship a scuba tank?

Post by babs13 »

Is it better to ship a nitrox scuba tank rather than to fly with one under TSA requirements (remove valve and then ship an empty tank)....how strict is TSA re removing the valve piece? seems like a pain in the bum. :queenliz: <-- the cutest smilie i've seen on the board! awesome.
Step 1: I have a diving problem.
ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Re: Fly with or ship a scuba tank?

Post by ArcticDiver »

As a traveling diver the choices, in preference order, are: 1)Rent at destination 2)Ship 3)Fly 4)Revise dive plan to eliminate nitrox.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

Babs! If you're coming out west, I've got tanks for you...
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Valve off is an absolute requirement. AT MOST you can put clear (and only clear) tape over the opening. They will see the tank on Xray and be looking inside for sure. They will not take valves off or even take off opaque tape, they will just set aside or dispose of your tank.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Gooch
Submariner

Post by Gooch »

Rent or borrow at your destination. or ship ahead to yourself.
http://nwdivers.me/blog/ Original articles and dive reports from local divers in the Vancouver, WA area. Suggestions for stories or your own reports are welcome!

Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Bassman has seen a whole collection of tanks that have been confiscated for having valves in place. I recommend nothing at all over the end. If it's being filled with pre-blended nitrox on the other end, it's not a problem and doesn't have to be "O2-cleaned."

I'd arrange to rent, or borrow, a tank on the other end. If you're looking for it as a bail-out/pony/stage/whatever, I'd consider getting the DSS travel-rigging for stages. That's easy to travel with and instantly makes any AL80 into a sling-able stage in about 10 seconds. It's not the best option for long-term stage/deco bottle rigging, but it is absolutely wonderful for traveling.

https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=1309
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
babs13
Dive-aholic

Post by babs13 »

scottsax wrote:'re coming out west, I've got tanks for you...
Thanks for the offer! I might look you up! :) Will be there later in April.
Sounder wrote:Bassman has seen a whole collection of tanks that have been confiscated for having valves in place. I recommend nothing at all over the end.
Ouch!! That sux.
CaptnJack wrote:Valve off is an absolute requirement....................They will not take valves off or even take off opaque tape, they will just set aside or dispose of your tank.
Thanks so much on this info. Crikers.

Thanks for the heads up. :smt064
Step 1: I have a diving problem.