A Different Kind of Blue Water Dreamin'

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
seainggreen
Dive-aholic

A Different Kind of Blue Water Dreamin'

Post by seainggreen »

Last week I was fortunate enough to visit one of my favorite places in the world: Quintana Roo, MX. I traveled with a great group of gals and we enjoyed a full week of superb cave diving down there. On one of the days, I snuck off and dove with a friend of mine who is an active instructor and explorer. We were joined by a friend of his to make a 3-person team. The dive was lovely and fun. Our focus on that dive was NOT to shoot film, but I toted the camera along and got off a few shots along the way. So this footage does not feature staged lighting or even the use of reflectors by my team members, but it does feature some nice moments from a beautiful 2.5 hour dive in a highly decorated, very colorful, and very beautiful system.

Click up to 720p and enjoy!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clo-xOYcx5k[/youtube]

The better news is that on other days of the trip we did dive with a film focus, and there is some really wonderful footage from those days. Those segments are part of a larger project that will take quite some time to complete on post-production, but when it's ready I'll be sure to share.

Happy diving,
Seainggreen
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln, 1809 - 1865
Seainggreen Productions, LLC
LCF
I've Got Gills

Re: A Different Kind of Blue Water Dreamin'

Post by LCF »

Oh, Laurynn, that's GORGEOUS! You did a fabulous job of lighting and editing, and gave me a huge craving to go and see that cave. If this is what you can do with an off-the cuff job, I can't WAIT to see what you did with our planned filming!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Fantastic video! Thanks for sharing.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

really nice video, laurynn! looking forward to seeing the rest of your footage.
seainggreen
Dive-aholic

Post by seainggreen »

Thanks y'all! I'm cranking away on the other footage but it's going to be a while as it'll turn into a fully produced short film (ie: interviews, narration, music all going in the mix). The caves are just astoundingly beautiful and I'm looking forward to returning...

Happy diving!
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln, 1809 - 1865
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

drooolllll!

wow
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
nwffdiver
Just Settling In

Post by nwffdiver »

Great video, that's another in a long list of cenotes I still want to dive. I'll be down there again in June. Can't wait! :partydance:
seainggreen
Dive-aholic

Post by seainggreen »

nwffdiver wrote:Great video, that's another in a long list of cenotes I still want to dive. I'll be down there again in June. Can't wait! :partydance:
Thanks! You will 100% enjoy Regina. The entrance is a bit interesting... but the rest is simply outstanding.

June... lucky! But bring yer bug spray! I used to go down quite a bit in summertime. Now MX is an annual spring break and sometimes Thanksgiving trip. We were blissfuly (mostly) bug-free in March this time around. Breezy = not great beach time but great in the jungle. :)

I'm working on a longer project with the remainder of my footage from that trip that will one day be shared. One day. It's taking a while but will feature a lot of footage from Mayan Blue, a smidge from Regina, and a smidge from Taj.
lavachickie
Dive-aholic

Post by lavachickie »

Please elaborate on the statement, "The entrance is a bit interesting..." :) Great vid, thanks for posting!
Hey Oregon Divers: check out Oregon Scuba Club! http://oregonscuba.com
Looking forward to Roatan June 2016.
seainggreen
Dive-aholic

Post by seainggreen »

lavachickie wrote:Please elaborate on the statement, "The entrance is a bit interesting..." :) Great vid, thanks for posting!
Thanks for the nice words on the video!

Interesting = zero vis, tons of mushy mung and detritus on the floor, and an entry that is a fissure crack seam/hole that goes straight down from 0 to 30 feet in very short order. Apparently the main line is typically tied off on a rock outcropping on the surface, so no reel required. On that day, however, the line was broken just past the tie off on the floor of the small cenote area, so there was no main line into the cave. So... I got to bust out my reel in said zero mungy vis to re-establish the line. Running a reel and doing line repair in zero vis down a fissure crack with a huge gradient change while toting AL80 stage bottles and a camera made for rather entertaining viewing.

But that cave is totally worth it, as you can see. :)