Need suggestions on Wetsuits

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
DiverChik
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by DiverChik »

Hi all,

I am headed to the Philippines to dive for 2 weeks and with repetitive dives, I am trying to decide which wetsuit to buy. I know I am getting a 5 mm for I get cold and even in the 84 degree water, I know that after 4-5 dives a day and the compression of the suit, I'll get cold if I bring my 3. I also have to keep in mind the fact that I need to be getting in and out of it 4-5 times a day as well so I want the stretch.

So, here's what I am looking at: Henderson H2, Henderson Thermoprene, or the Poseidon Visionary semi-dry

Any of you have experience with any of these suits and their durability after repetitive dives? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!!
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Re: Need suggestions on Wetsuits

Post by Waynne Fowler »

I vote Semi-Dry... you lose a bit of warmth when going to the super stretchy neoprene. Depending on the brand I've read that it can be as much as a 30% loss in thermal protection so you may want to keep that in mind as you're looking. I LOVE the heck out of my Nova Scotia Semi-Dry. It's so dry I may add vavles to it and make it a drysuit for Mx.
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
scottsax
I've Got Gills

Post by scottsax »

I don't know what the water temps are like in the Philippines, but in 78-80 degree water, my 3mm Henderson Hyperstretch (which I think is the precursor to the H2) is great, provided I wear a hood. In fact, I'll probably buy a 5mm H2 suit before my next tropical trip. They're really stretchy, so you have great range of motion.

But wear a hood. Really. It makes a huge difference!
I'm going to look like a moose on rollerskates. -airsix
... my Mom caught me fenestrating once. -lavachickie
And I get so tired of fainting and peeing all over myself when the hammer falls on an empty chamber! -Nailer

Want to know where I'm performing? Check out my Facebook fan page!
doug7377
Avid Diver

Post by doug7377 »

you could try the DUI 30/30
mancub
Dive-aholic

Post by mancub »

I dive a 5mm Henderson h2 in any tropical water. Stretch is perfect and the wrist and neck seal are nice and snug. I haven't felt them stretch out too much after 40 or 50 dives in it. However the ankles are Velcro which makes it awesome for donning doffing but can let a little water up your shins/calves. Also, I dive full foot fins tropical...if you use booties and your NW open heel fins the ankles would be perfect on this suit.

Very warm suit. Hope this helps!
Jacob
mancub
Dive-aholic

Post by mancub »

Also, FWIW, my wetsuit before the h2 was an oneill explore 3mil. I liked the cut/fit of the oneill more...being a skinny Asian guy. However the h2 feels great in the water. Would definitely buy it again. My avatar/pic is my h2.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

my wife had a Henderson Hyper stretch and it seemed to have stretched out and its not keeping her warm with the flushing water through it. I know other people who have had great luck with them though.. But she's dove it a lot and after 2 years its not what it used to be.

We bought her the new Scubapro Everflex Steamer.. she said that its a b1tch to get into it, but she has never had a 5mil thats that warm and comfortable. She's been diving it for that past year and is super happy with it.

I myself have an O'Neil and also just replaced it with a Scubapro Everflex Steamer, it has great ankle and wrist seals and you get barely any water flushing through it.

UWS carry them and they might have them in stock for you to go look at and try on.

ImageImage
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
seainggreen
Dive-aholic

Post by seainggreen »

DiverChik wrote:Hi all,

I am headed to the Philippines to dive for 2 weeks and with repetitive dives, I am trying to decide which wetsuit to buy. I know I am getting a 5 mm for I get cold and even in the 84 degree water, I know that after 4-5 dives a day and the compression of the suit, I'll get cold if I bring my 3. I also have to keep in mind the fact that I need to be getting in and out of it 4-5 times a day as well so I want the stretch.

So, here's what I am looking at: Henderson H2, Henderson Thermoprene, or the Poseidon Visionary semi-dry

Any of you have experience with any of these suits and their durability after repetitive dives? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Thanks!!
Having done a slew of warm water trips, I will agree with Koos that the Hendersons don't hold up. Although you get a workout in putting them on/off, the Scubapro suits are really well made and mine's survived multiple trips very well. For a trip like you are describing I would be taking my 5mm suit plus a 2mm hooded vest. The hooded vest is amazing at keeping your trunk warm, and the hood is a huge plus for your hair on multiple dive days; you don't thrash it out with your mask strap, etc. Sounds like a great trip... have fun!
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power." - Abraham Lincoln, 1809 - 1865
Seainggreen Productions, LLC