Lumpsucker at Redondo today

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

The past few months at Redondo have been a bit disappointing critter-wise, but today was different. We saw several GPOs (they seem to be more interested in the pipes than the boats right now), a couple of Nudibranchs, but also one very large Lumpsucker on a piece of wood at our safety stop. Very cool!

Spiny Lumpsucker Eumicrotremus orbis

Shaggy Mouse Aeolidia papillosa

Janolus fuscus
Dan Hershman :smt024
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Re: Lumpsucker at Redondo today

Post by Jan K »

Very nice. Love the Lumpie. The larger one still eludes me ...
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

Jan K wrote:Very nice. Love the Lumpie. The larger one still eludes me ...
Thanks! This fellow was just sitting on a piece of wood in the open sand at our safety stop. I've only seen these guys at Redondo in the eelgrass further north, away from the most frequented dive area. Most of the eelgrass was stripped away by waves in this past winter's storms. So seeing this one was a real surprise as I wasnt even looking for him.
ashitaka666
Aquaphile

Post by ashitaka666 »

Oh wow, excellent pictures. What type of camera/house did u use and was there a filter as well? Also I imagine some type of lights were used. What type?
Scuba Diving isn't about one's ego but about having fun and doing dives you feel comfortable doing.
Ashi's Photo Gallery
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

ashitaka666 wrote:Oh wow, excellent pictures. What type of camera/house did u use and was there a filter as well? Also I imagine some type of lights were used. What type?
thanks!

I use a Nikon D80 DSLR with an Ikelight Housing (someday I'll upgrade the camera!). Two Ikelight strobes, one is a DS125 and the other is a DS160. These photos were done with my trusty Nikon 60mm macro lens. No filters, no diffusers either.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Redondo has all the lumpies... Its so not fair
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I'm as excited by the prospect of nudis as the lumpie ... they've been pretty much deficient from Redondo since the Thanksgiving storm. Nice to see the place finally starting to recover its usual life ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

Grateful Diver wrote:I'm as excited by the prospect of nudis as the lumpie ... they've been pretty much deficient from Redondo since the Thanksgiving storm. Nice to see the place finally starting to recover its usual life ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

We can only hope.... we used to see lots of varieties there, but the last few dives I didn't see a single invertebrate and barely any fish at all.

:fish: Hopefully this is a sign of things to come this spring.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

It's been unusually wet weather the past few months. Considering all the runoff that happens at the 'Dond, I'm hoping it was just that the critters went elsewhere to enjoy a bit less pollution and fresh water ... and that now we've had a string of less rainy days, they're daring to come back ... also, with the longer days the spring "lettuce" is starting to grow.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Found this little guy at Redondo last night. It was at 12' just north of Salty's. It was really on the move and would not hold still for a good shot :-) There was almost no large life but we saw 7 stubby squid (including the smallest one I have ever seen). I zoomed in to show the grains of sand. There were a lot of baby critters, small gunnels and poachers. And one medium sized octo under the boat.

I am pretty sure Penders got a few really nice shots of the PSL. So hopefully he posts them :smt064
Attachments
IMG_3819.jpg
IMG_3941.jpg
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

Scubie Doo wrote:I am pretty sure Penders got a few really nice shots of the PSL. So hopefully he posts them :smt064
Takes awhile for me to get the hint. Here's a couple from our April 21 dive at Redondo:
Lumpy 6.JPG
Lumpy 8.JPG
Lumpy 9.JPG
Stubby 1.JPG
Stubby 3.JPG
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

What wonderful photos!!! =D>

It never fails to amaze me how varied the coloration of Lumpsuckers can be!

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

It has been so long I forgot we saw this... Better late than never I guess :-D
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

BTW - Good pictures. I knew you got a couple keepers!!!!!
lavachickie
Dive-aholic

Post by lavachickie »

I really hoped to see a lumpy this past fall/spring and it still eludes me. Everyone is seeing them but me! waaaaa! Was going to go to Redondo tomorrow but scrapped because of the weather. Maybe I should reconsider (it's a day of eight hours of driving for me for two dives, remember).
Hey Oregon Divers: check out Oregon Scuba Club! http://oregonscuba.com
Looking forward to Roatan June 2016.
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

lavachickie wrote:I really hoped to see a lumpy this past fall/spring and it still eludes me. Everyone is seeing them but me! waaaaa! Was going to go to Redondo tomorrow but scrapped because of the weather. Maybe I should reconsider (it's a day of eight hours of driving for me for two dives, remember).
It poured pretty badly last night, and its going to be raining hard here all day. There's a small stream that empties onto the beach, things get kind of mucky with a big runoff. Most of the time you'll see lumpies at Redondo at night, but once in awhile you can spot them during the daytime. Look in the shallows at about 10-15 feet north of Salty's.