Anyone up for the Governor July 8 or 9th?

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
Paulicarp
Aquanaut

Re: Anyone up for the Governor July 8 or 9th?

Post by Paulicarp »

been there, done that. overrated. :sleep:

not
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

Paulicarp wrote:been there, done that. overrated. :sleep:

not

When did you dive it? I have done it myself several times have some friends who have not and want to so trying to fill out a boat. I have always felt the Governor was one of our best deep wreck dives in the sound myself. That is if you have scooters and spend a good amount of time to see as much as possible. It is just a pain in the ass to try and get on it with current and vessel traffic. One dive last year we were fogged out. Got to love the drift deco though.
Greg
trevorrowe
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by trevorrowe »

I think that was more accurately Paulicarp indicating his utter jealously, not that he has ever "been there, done that". :)
rjw
Aquanaut

Post by rjw »

loanwolf wrote: When did you dive it? I have done it myself several times have some friends who have not and want to so trying to fill out a boat. I have always felt the Governor was one of our best deep wreck dives in the sound myself. That is if you have scooters and spend a good amount of time to see as much as possible. It is just a pain in the ass to try and get on it with current and vessel traffic. One dive last year we were fogged out. Got to love the drift deco though.

An even better question is when have you dove it?
No amount of Helium can make a dumbass smart. - Chatterton
FOTTF
Life's been good to me so far
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Got my AOW and nitrox, will that be enough?
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Tom Nic wrote:Got my AOW and nitrox, will that be enough?

Yeah, sure. Well....you DO have a pony bottle, right?
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Joshua Smith wrote:Well....you DO have a pony bottle, right?
Does a nitrox Spare Air count?
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

renoun wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:Well....you DO have a pony bottle, right?
Does a nitrox Spare Air count?
Nope, you need the nitrox spare air dubs for that one.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
raptor
Dive-aholic

Post by raptor »

I would be interested on the 9th what would be the game plan. Dive time max depth and stuff.
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

rjw wrote:
loanwolf wrote: When did you dive it? I have done it myself several times have some friends who have not and want to so trying to fill out a boat. I have always felt the Governor was one of our best deep wreck dives in the sound myself. That is if you have scooters and spend a good amount of time to see as much as possible. It is just a pain in the ass to try and get on it with current and vessel traffic. One dive last year we were fogged out. Got to love the drift deco though.

One thing that i find intersting is that there are no serious inquiries to this post. Did greg dive this with a private boat, or even at all. With the markV gone and limiting charters going out to this site, i find it hard to believe that no one heard about his attempt last year. Greg who did you dive it with? Did Bob know you had plans to dive it or was it poached. You know this site is not a free for all, and Vessel traffic needs to be notified and such. Don't just go out and dive this place without proper plannings it can ruin it for those of us that take the time to dive it with planning. what charter did you say you dived it with last year, and which one are you using in july?
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
4ster
Dive-aholic

Post by 4ster »

I quit this "club". I can't take the constant sniping at the people deemed uncool by the literati.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

4ster wrote:I quit this "club". I can't take the constant sniping at the people deemed uncool by the literati.
i wouldn't really call Maverick "literati".

but 4ster's right, take the petty sniping elsewhere.
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

Maverick wrote:
rjw wrote:

One thing that i find intersting is that there are no serious inquiries to this post. Did greg dive this with a private boat, or even at all. With the markV gone and limiting charters going out to this site, i find it hard to believe that no one heard about his attempt last year. Greg who did you dive it with? Did Bob know you had plans to dive it or was it poached. You know this site is not a free for all, and Vessel traffic needs to be notified and such. Don't just go out and dive this place without proper plannings it can ruin it for those of us that take the time to dive it with planning. what charter did you say you dived it with last year, and which one are you using in july?

No this was a planned dive off a charter boat so yes you have to get vessels traffic's permission ( highly recommended but not required) if you dive off a charter boat. but if you dive it off your personal boat it is not "required too, but highly but it is recommended" so vessel traffic will let them know you are their. But the last two times I have done it VT did not tell traffic we were their, and the captain had to hail the traffic and tell them as he was getting bared down on. As far as asking permission from the supposed individual who ones the salvage right "that does not mean shit". It is on public land and you do not have to legally notify them of anything. Not to mention unless he is still carrying insurance on it as the group that own's the Ali'D is he cannot say anything. As with the US Navy who owns all their wrecks no mater were their are and you can dive them freely but you cannot take anything from them. Due to salvage rights, but you can dive them freely their in public waters.

There still are several boats that charter this site every year here. Or if you cannot get them their are lots of personal boats that can get the job done. depends on the number of divers, Hell even Herald at Dolphin would to it at least 3 times a year. My last time I got fogged out last year and we did two dive else were, shit happens.
Greg
spudgunman
Compulsive Diver

Post by spudgunman »

I didn't see this info ever answered and I was curious my self on the answer

Depth of wreck

80 m
Size of wreck

Length: 235 m
Last edited by spudgunman on Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kelly(boy)
_____
Per TOS: I explicitly ask you to feel free to criticize me constructively or just because you want to pick on me.
diverden
Compulsive Diver

Post by diverden »

spudgunman wrote:I didn't see this info ever answered and I was curious my self on the answer

Depth of wreck

80 feet

Size of wreck

Length: 235 feet
It's in 240 ft of water. So, about 80 meters.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

spudgunman wrote:Length: 235 feet
and it's a 417ft long passenger liner.

http://www.dcsfilms.com/Site_4/SS_Governor.html

http://www.frogkickdiving.com/SS_Governor.php

http://www.scret.org/index.php?option=c ... view&id=33

etc.

google is your friend.
spudgunman
Compulsive Diver

Post by spudgunman »

haha yea I just didnt check the quality of my google

http://wreckdiveguide.com/governor/

the site I used said feet not meters
Kelly(boy)
_____
Per TOS: I explicitly ask you to feel free to criticize me constructively or just because you want to pick on me.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

4ster wrote:I quit this "club". I can't take the constant sniping at the people deemed uncool by the literati.
Please don't blame it on the "club" ... most of the folks here are pretty nice and friendly.

It's the Internet ... there's a few in every crowd. If all the nice people left, they'd own the place ...

... Bob (Grateful DIver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/