Viz Reports Thread

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Re: Viz Reports Thread

Post by mz53480 »

Hoodsport last night was a fair 10' or so down to about 50-60fsw. Below that it opened up nicely to ~20.
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

Cove 2 was fabulous today... easily 30 +
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Viz at Skyline yesterday was the best I've ever seen there -- probably 30 feet or more and ambient light down to 70. Man, that place is beautiful when you can actually SEE it! At Northwest Island in the afternoon, it wasn't quite as good; maybe 10 feet in the shallows, and 15 to 20 on the deeper wall. Plenty to have a good dive!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Hoodsport today around 3pm was real nice on the top 20ft. Then, baby whale snot down to about 50-60fsw or so.
Below that it opened up nicely to ~20ft viz.
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Did a nice 75-minute solo dive at the 'Dond yesterday right around high tide. Vis was a consistent 25-35 feet at all depths. Get out and enjoy the next couple days ... before the next plankton bloom ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Another long solo dive at the 'Dond this evening ... vis between 40 and 60 feet was easily between 40 and 60 feet ... seriously, it was almost scary clear. From the pile of tires with the traffic cone on top at around 50 feet I could see the entire length of the sewer pipe ... all of it. Vis below 60 and down to the bottle field was a bit more "snotty", but was still a good 30-40 feet ... and vis above about 30 feet got a bit cloudy, but still in the 20-30 foot range.

It's a great time to get out and take advantage of this little window of visibility we're experiencing ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Yes! Cove 2 this afternoon was GORGEOUS -- the water was almost blue in the shallows. I was even able to try some wide angle shots, even with my little camera. Very clear -- and I love those days, when you can really imprint a map of the cove in your brain.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Sunnyside Park, Steilacoom, Monday night 8 pm, vis about 15' all the way out to 70' fsw.
BillyD
Frequent Bubbler

Post by BillyD »

I agree with LCF, Cove 2 yesterday (08/09/11 ~ 7pm) was incredible! 40 ft vis easy, for a newer diver to the area being able to SEE really helped me figure out the Cove. The Honeybear actually resembled a boat with the better visibility. Also saw a massive GPO under it, 2 lions mane jellys, and giant rock fish and lingcod, awesome!
Plan the dive, dive the plan. Unless you see something really cool...
Alexitt
Submariner

Post by Alexitt »

EUP 8-10-11 Went in just before high slack and spent an hour puttering around in some of the best vis I've seen in the park... Unfortunately since my camera floods every time I take it out (replacement should be here today hopefully) I went ahead and used it one last time and got some decent video till it died (again) now just have to do some editing... Had a family member out here from Calgary who's never dove the PNW and took him out to show him around... He was suitably impressed and wants to go out again today so off we go as soon as the shop opens and I get some refills...
-Alex-

"so in the interest of advising something...let's see..."the early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!" -Eliseaboo

renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

Cove II was still at least 30' last night.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

Mukeltio today was a solid 20+ down past 10fsw.
:supz:
Check out the VIDEOS!
deadbilly
Getting To Know Folks

Post by deadbilly »

I'll chime in here: vis at at Keystone was 25-30 along the wall. Great dive!
Lonestar
Compulsive Diver

Post by Lonestar »

Redondo tonight: 1st dive the vis from 4 fsw to aroun 60fsw was C-R-A-P. I could see my compass about 6 inches in front of my face and that was about it due to the incredible amount of crap in the water. It was darker than a night dive! However, broke out pretty nice just before the carousel boat. Nice sized octo in the bottlefield. Vis had opened up dramatically by the time we headed back up.

As we headed down the stairs for the second dive we were surprised to see a group of 7+ seals about 40 feet away. They quickly headed out though. Saw a handfull of juvenile salmon during our safety stop. Haven't seen any squid around lately.

Carousel boat looks more like it was lift than drug by a downrigger.
Tim McClung

22nd Annual Scott Firefighter Stair Climb, support it: http://www.llswa.org/site/TR/Events/Big ... fr_id=1280
Lonestar
Compulsive Diver

Post by Lonestar »

Redondo looked like crap topside but was actually pretty good.
Attachments
Redondo August 19 019.jpg
Redondo August 19 017.jpg
Redondo August 19 015.jpg
Redondo August 19 014.jpg
Redondo August 19 012.jpg
Redondo August 19 008.jpg
Redondo August 19 007.jpg
Tim McClung

22nd Annual Scott Firefighter Stair Climb, support it: http://www.llswa.org/site/TR/Events/Big ... fr_id=1280
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Lonestar wrote:Redondo looked like crap topside but was actually pretty good.
What is "pretty good"? Best estimate?

Nice close-up of the ratfish, and the Painted Greenling in its dark mating colors. You should post a trip report!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Lonestar
Compulsive Diver

Post by Lonestar »

Pretty good would be crystal clear at spots and pretty darn clear up to 20 most of the time. Trip report? I guess I should. (but I should wear my kilts more often too sir!)
Tim McClung

LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Cove 2 today was a good 20+ when we started . . .
fnerg
Dive-aholic

Post by fnerg »

10 or less feet at the surface at Mukilteo today, but 20-25 feet at depth. We saw a wolf eel out in the open at 120fsw near a sunken boat. It looked to be almost 6 feet long!
johnclark
Aquaphile

Post by johnclark »

Redondo was probably around 3 feet until we hit 40' then it opened up to 15-20' visibility. Saw two green looking eel things out in the open. The larger one had to be at least 3 feet long. Sweet!
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Those were probably penpoint gunnels, at Redondo!

Viz at Waterman's Wall today was 20 to 30; viz at Shangri-La (nice site, btw) was that good deeper, but at the end of the dive, at 30 feet, it was falling rapidly.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Jorstad Creek Saturday evening, top vis probably 20' down to 20fsw, and about 65 degrees warm...almost tropical! Very definate thermalcline, water temp dropped to 48 below it. Thick layer of what..kril? I dont know...cleared up a llittle below 40 fsw, but still not great vis, maybe 15' or so.
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Titlow Monday afternoon . . . pretty sucky viz, about 10 murky feet. Very small exchange, but noticeable current blowing north.
Benoit
Aquaphile

Post by Benoit »

TTN Tuesday 7pm was 3-5ft down to 40fsw, then opened up gradually to 20+ft at 75fsw with lots of floaties. Still, a good dive.
- Benoit.
lundysd
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by lundysd »

Edmonds today was a snotty 10ft today -- summer bloom is here!