Gunnel ID help

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
ktb
I've Got Gills

Gunnel ID help

Post by ktb »

I don't have my books handy, and this little guy isn't matching anything on Janna's site . . . what is it?
Attachments
gunnel.JPG
Kelly
fnerg
Dive-aholic

Re: Gunnel ID help

Post by fnerg »

I'm gonna guess a slender cockscomb, but I wouldn't know the diff between a slender cockscomb and a high cockscomb without a drug test.
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

LOL! Now that I have access to my books, I think it's a high cockscomb because of the 2 dark bars below each eye. COOL!
Kelly
Tidepool Geek
Aquaphile

Post by Tidepool Geek »

Hi Kelly,

I'm voting for Slender Cockscomb based on the stripes under the jaw. Also, I think the eye bars on the High Cockscomb are more diagonal than the ones in your excellent photo. :stir:

Speculatively yours,

Alex
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

I vote Slender as well, because of the stripes on the comb as well as on the lower lip. Also the body patterning seems a lot like a Slender. Not that I am great at telling Highs and Slenders apart - but that's just my 2psi!
- Janna
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I'm with Greg on these guys. Not really sure there is a difference. Just call a high_slender cocks comb! :rofl:
dwashbur
I've Got Gills

Post by dwashbur »

Last I heard, the PTB's were seriously considering merging the two anyway. Anybody got an update on that?

Definitely a cockscomb...
Dave

"Clearly, you weren't listening to what I'm about to say."
--
Check out my Internet show:
http://www.irvingszoo.com
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

I could support merging them, since this guy has characteristics of both (according to Humann's book).

The distinctive features of the High CC are the fleshy crest and two dark bars extending below each eye. The description below that notes that "the dorsal fin is usually a paler shade joining saddles on back." Ok, I see all of that on this guy--check, check, and check.

The distinctive features of the Slender CC are the fleshy crest, 2-3 dark bars on the foredorsal fin, and pale bands on lower lip and under jaw. The description then notes "often have pale or dark bars on cheek and pale bars on back and dorsal fin." Check, check, check, and check.

COULD THIS BE HARDER?!? :angry: Sigh . . .
Kelly