Dive Rite canister light "SOLD but great info"

No commercial posts, please. Individual divers only.
antarcticdiver
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Dive Rite canister light "SOLD but great info"

Post by antarcticdiver »

I sold the light but there is a wealth of info here so i will keep it up for a few days. dan
Attachments
IMG_0461.JPG
IMG_0462.JPG
Last edited by antarcticdiver on Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
marcbeaudry
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Re: Dive Rite canister light

Post by marcbeaudry »

what model unit is this plse ?
have you got the hard goodman handle for it or
only the soft as pictured ?
marc
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

marcbeaudry wrote:what model unit is this plse ?
have you got the hard goodman handle for it or
only the soft as pictured ?
marc
MR11 with slimline canister
http://www.diverite.com/products/catalo ... 250mr11-ss

When new, 500 lumens, 4.5 Ah NiMH battery.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

HID replacement doesn't look possible any more. LED upgrade would be the way to go. That's about $150.00 more.

D
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

MR11 bulbs are still available (for now), just not via dive rite. Although whenever it burns out you might as well upgrade to an LED head vs fighting to find a replacement bulb.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

CaptnJack wrote:MR11 bulbs are still available (for now), just not via dive rite. Although whenever it burns out you might as well upgrade to an LED head vs fighting to find a replacement bulb.
Where are they available? My understanding is DiveRite has no more (as you said), and the manufacturer of the bulbs was sold to a company in China who would only sell them in bulk, and ended up discontinuing them.

D
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

defied wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:MR11 bulbs are still available (for now), just not via dive rite. Although whenever it burns out you might as well upgrade to an LED head vs fighting to find a replacement bulb.
Where are they available? My understanding is DiveRite has no more (as you said), and the manufacturer of the bulbs was sold to a company in China who would only sell them in bulk, and ended up discontinuing them.

D
Try batteryspace, they have carried them in the past and I think still do. Although at ~$85/bulb its kinda a waste to not switch to LED.
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Richard endorsing an LED upgrade! I think I'm having a weird dream.
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
antarcticdiver
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by antarcticdiver »

Marc
its model number is LT650MR1(-6). i only have the the soft handle for it, I Zip tied the light head to the handle and never had a problem. the replacement bulb is a WelchAlleyn part number M10P001-1 for the 6 degree reflector.
Dan
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

antarcticdiver wrote: the replacement bulb is a WelchAlleyn part number M10P001-1 for the 6 degree reflector.
Dan
Nice. They're down to $50 a bulb.

D
kitsapdiver
Submariner

Post by kitsapdiver »

I just got my light back from DiveRite yesterday. They replaced my HID bulb for $120 including shipping, and pressure test, with guarantee. That said I upgraded the HID about 2.5 years ago to their HID 1000 or whatever.
THE Ohio State University
Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan
marcbeaudry
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by marcbeaudry »

kitsapdiver -
sorry - not sure i follow what you're saying DiveRite just replaced your HID (1000 or whatever) with what ? another HID or you went with a LED conversion ? so a bulb replace and pressure test with guarantee was 120$ - what kind of turn around time ? also when you converted from the original bulb to the brighter head - what did your burn time become ?
thanks- marc
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I can convert it to one of my heads with 1200 lumins and no more burn outs! and it will have 5 modes rather than just one!
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

kitsapdiver wrote:I just got my light back from DiveRite yesterday. They replaced my HID bulb for $120 including shipping, and pressure test, with guarantee. That said I upgraded the HID about 2.5 years ago to their HID 1000 or whatever.
you paid too much... could have been converted to led for less $$
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

I'm looking for a dive rite aluminum light head if anyone has a junked one they are willing to sell. Going to upgrade it for personal use.

And no, I don't want a maglight modified light. I'll draw up some designs and send them to an online lathe shop before then.
kitsapdiver
Submariner

Post by kitsapdiver »

Sorry, I guess I could have been more clear.

I had a Dive Rite 10W HID light, and about 3.5 years ago I had the 10W HID upgraded to a HID1000. The bulb is different. The battery is still the same, but it's a 15W HID light.

Recently the bulb began to fail so I had them replace the bulb with the same bulb, the HID1000 bulb. I have the emails that went back and forth with DiveRite on my work email, and could post more information Monday, but we did talk about the limited future availability of HID bulbs, but they said for the time being anyways they do have a source for the HID bulb used in the HID1000.

On another note while they were at it they replaced the wire from the light head to the canister lid, and re soldered the connections inside, as well as replaced the trailer connector because the wire formed a discontinuity about a year ago and I repaired it with a poorly done butt splice instead of replacing/re soldering a new trailer connector.

The turn around time was a couple weeks because they were out of the HID bulbs when I sent it to them. But the technician was very good about calling me explaining to me what was going on. If I called him to ask about it, as soon as I gave him my name he knew my order it was very personalized and I was happy with the service. I always have been happy with DiveRite. DiveRite is a cave company in North Florida that knows their main constituent is cave divers looking for hearty gear, and they serve that well.

The RX2 LED Canister for just the head and lid assembly is $599. Right now I like HID lights. I don't have anything against LED lights but HIDs have always served me well. In some time in the near fruture 12-18 months I plan on buying a LM 21W (LED or HID, haven't decided yet).
THE Ohio State University
Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan
mpenders
Submariner

Re: Dive Rite canister light "PRICE DROP"

Post by mpenders »

Without touching the LED vs HID debate - This DR HID head can be upgraded from 10w/500lm to 14w/1000lm using an upgraded Solarc NGX ballast and bulb. The ballast is more efficient than the old 10w ballast, and can be wired at either 9w (500lm) or 14w(1000lm). Welch Allyn offered this line, but sold it to Ushio in the recent past.

You can buy directly from Ushio, but they have a $100 min purchase amount. This past Nov, I purchased directly from Ushio: the new ballast (part #B10R001, $30) and 2 new bulbs (part #M10P003, $49 each) - total with shipping came to $135.

You might need a different bulb model, if your lighthead is designed with an independent reflector. My lighthead didn't, and I needed the 6 degree spot parabolic bulb. Changing the ballast and bulb is really just a drop-in process, with a little bit of crude soldering involved. Mine has worked flawlessly.

More info here: http://www.ushio.com/products/scientifi ... pguide.htm
Dive0saur
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Re: Dive Rite canister light "SOLD but great info"

Post by Dive0saur »

For those looking for a new bulb but have the independent reflector you want (part #M10N003)