Aspiration pneumonia

General banter about diving and why we love it.
doublesunder
Aquaphile

Aspiration pneumonia

Post by doublesunder »

Could a faulty regulator cause Aspiration Pneumonia ?
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Re: Aspiration pneumonia

Post by kdupreez »

Hmm.. Very good question, my guess is Aspiration Pneumonia could only be caused if you inhaled small amounts of seawater.. i.e. a leak in your exhalation diaphragm so small that mist of saltwater is inhaled and you dont even realize it..

What about Immersion Pulmonary Edema?

Why do you ask? and what are the symptoms?
Last edited by kdupreez on Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
doublesunder
Aquaphile

Post by doublesunder »

kdupreez wrote:Hmm.. Very good question, my guess is Aspiration Pneumonia could only be caused if you inhaled small amounts of seawater.. i.e. a leak in your inhalation diaphragm so small that mist of saltwater is inhaled and you dont even realize it..

What about Immersion Pulmonary Edema?

Why do you ask? and what are the symptoms?

Pneumonia symptoms next day after dive. Only thing that seemed irregular about dive was a slight feeling in stomach like I swallowed seawater, but hadn't that I was aware of.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

my bet is saltwater mist from your reg.. there could have been some small obstruction or something stuck on the exhalation diaphragm, so as you inhale, it doesn't seal firmly.. just enough to get some saltwater mist in there.

http://archive.rubicon-foundation.org/x ... 56789/7643

To check, block your first stage opening (That goes on the tank) and suck on your second stage, it should seal pretty well.. you could even put it in a bucket of water (only second stage) and suck on it to see how well the inhalation diaphragm seals.

Either that, or any chance you have rust or oxidation in your tank? that could very well irritate your lungs.
Last edited by kdupreez on Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Or, maybe just catching a cold after diving? It's happened to me a few times.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

If the reg was breathing wet, yes: http://www.scuba-doc.com/saltwasp.html

It would be important to know the symptoms. Shortness of breath is less likely to be aspiration; fever and body aches, and cough, continuing over a couple of days, would be more likely.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

What are you symptoms? wheezing? crackles? bilateral or unilateral? have you had a chest xray or someone knowledgable listen to your lungs?
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
doublesunder
Aquaphile

Post by doublesunder »

kdupreez wrote:my bet is saltwater mist from your reg.. there could have been some small obstruction or something stuck on the exhalation diaphragm, so as you inhale, it doesn't seal firmly.. just enough to get some saltwater mist in there.

http://archive.rubicon-foundation.org/x ... 56789/7643

To check, block your first stage opening (That goes on the tank) and suck on your second stage, it should seal pretty well.. you could even put it in a bucket of water (only second stage) and suck on it to see how well the inhalation diaphragm seals.

Either that, or any chance you have rust or oxidation in your tank? that could very well irritate your lungs.

Tanks went through hydro and vip process about three months ago, also dove previous weekend with no ill effects. Was thinking more along the line of a faulty second stage ?
doublesunder
Aquaphile

Post by doublesunder »

[quote="LCF"]If the reg was breathing wet, yes: http://www.scuba-doc.com/saltwasp.html

It would be important to know the symptoms. Shortness of breath is less likely to be aspiration; fever and body aches, and cough, continuing over a couple of days, would be more likely.[/quote

Intermittent shortness of breath, wheezing, cough
doublesunder
Aquaphile

Post by doublesunder »

CaptnJack wrote:What are you symptoms? wheezing? crackles? bilateral or unilateral? have you had a chest xray or someone knowledgable listen to your lungs?

Visit to the doctor tomorrow, hasnt cleared up after a week. Bilateral to lungs, unilateral to the upper torso.
lamont
I've Got Gills

Post by lamont »

Joshua Smith wrote:Or, maybe just catching a cold after diving? It's happened to me a few times.
+1

get the doc to rule out all the horses first...
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

A week is a fairly long time, good to go in and figure out what's growing in there.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

lamont wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:Or, maybe just catching a cold after diving? It's happened to me a few times.
+1

get the doc to rule out all the horses first...
Before the zebra hunt? :joshsmith:
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

zebra! :)

"whooping cough in washington reaches epidemic levels"

http://www.doh.wa.gov/Publicat/2012_news/12-038.htm
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Exactly, Josh.

Chances are much higher of a simple coincidence of respiratory illness after a dive.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Norris
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Norris »

Ugh I caught whooping cough about 6 years ago and it was never diagnosed. They were handing me all kinds of lung medicines after 4-5 visits. You will know whooping cough. Endless deep honking coughs. I would wake up NIGHTLY coughing and did it so often it would irritate my throat and cause it to bleed. This lasted for 3-4 MONTHS. I kid you not. Coughing pretty much all day, and no cough medicine would work as it came from deep within the lungs. After some deep research on the internets I self diagnosed it.
I wouldnt wish whooping cough (100 day cough) on anyone.
**Pinch it, don't stick your finger through. You're just pinching a bigger hole.
CAPTNJACK - 2012**
doublesunder
Aquaphile

Post by doublesunder »

Visit to doctor today, prognosis good :) X-rays and Spirometry report showed nothing conclusive. No Zebra's were found lounging :) Attributes symptoms to Bronchitis or inhaled irritant. Both regs are in for service as precaution. Thank you everyone for your concern and responses. :joshsmith:
Last edited by doublesunder on Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

Sweet! Great news that no donkeys or horses were hurt during the hunt for zebras.. :)

and also great news that its not any virus or somethin.. hope the reg service clears that up for ya.

K
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

doublesunder wrote:Visit to doctor today, prognosis good :) X-rays and Spirometry report showed nothing conclusive. No Zebra's were found lounging :) Attributes symptoms to Bronchitis or inhaled irritant. Both regs are in for service as precaution. Thank you everyone for your concern and responses. :joshsmith:
VERY glad to hear this!
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
loanwolf
Pelagic

Post by loanwolf »

Great to hear you are clear.

Question, are you taking any Statin Drugs or other medications? We have been noticing that people who are taking statins are having pulmonary edema issues when diving. Know several divers and some of my commercial friends that have had this happen. feeling short of breath during the dive, itchy lungs, coughing and in sever instances gurgling lungs at night and having to sleep sitting up. Just like having a full case of Pneumonia but no fever associated in most cases. No published medial research on it as of yet.
Greg
Life is Short do as Much as Possible in as Short of Period of Time as Possible.
fmerkel
I've Got Gills

Post by fmerkel »

Hmm, that's interesting. Sounds like drug + diving induced pulmonary edema or at least a suspicion of it. Keep us posted. Lots more people diving with those kind of medications.

Back to the main topic. If you had a reg breathing so poorly that you got an aspiration pneumonia from it you should have either scrubbed that dive, or minimally you would have come up cursing the damn thing and would not have even had to ask this group if there was a problem. It takes an uncomfortable load of saltwater to kick off a pulmonary 'near drowning' response unless the water is also loaded with pathological bacteria, which is a different problem.

In the same general notion I'm not sure people are aware of the persistent, low-grade nasty biological material that accumulates in a 2nd stage. Rinsing alone is not nearly good enough to get it out. If you have a clear mouthpiece you can see the red crud (serratia marcescens) growing in it. Lots of other fine stuff too. It's growing everywhere even if you can't see it. I recommend everyone should, remove the mouthpiece, open up the 2nd stage, and scrub everything well with a soft toothbrush + soap and warm water at LEAST 2x/year. More often won't hurt. Annual servicing is just not going to touch this for > 3/4 of the year.
Then soak the entire assembly in 50:50 white vinegar: water for 30" if you want to disinfect it. Not absolutely necessary but might make the squeamish reading this feel better. What you are really looking for is dinner plate clean.
To Air is Human,
To Respire, Divine.