WetSuit Recommends?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

WetSuit Recommends?

Post by Jeff Pack »

After boiling my eggs this last weekend, I think I need a wetsuit for days like that. It was kinda brutal.

Any suggestions on a good wetsuit? I also dont recall now the weight change from drysuit to wetsuit (depending on type of neoprene of course).
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Re: WetSuit Recommends?

Post by kdupreez »

i have quite a few friends that have O'Neil JType 7mm suit with hood and they love them for out here.
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
olyvtx
Dive-aholic

Post by olyvtx »

kdupreez wrote:i have quite a few friends that have O'Neil JType 7mm suit with hood and they love them for out here.
+1

A little difficult to put on but a great suit.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

I was thinking the hyperstretch type suits? (Henderson, Aqualung, etc)?

kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

My wife had a Henderson Hyper stretch 5mm and it was really awesome for the first couple of years, but the torso stretched out and was eventually too loose and she got cold.. That was replaced with a ScubaPro that she loves!
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Henderson semidry
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

El cheapo solution...

Stop standing around in your drysuit. :P
I dove this weekend, it was toasty until I got in the 50F water. I dunked right away and then geared up.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
mz53480
I've Got Gills

Post by mz53480 »

On really hot days I usually leave my drysuit zipper just a little bit open and then dive.
Works great.
...I like going to the chamber.. They have great food there, and awsome live music "H20doctor"
Check out the VIDEOS!
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

CaptnJack wrote:El cheapo solution...

I dove this weekend, it was toasty until I got in the 50F water. I dunked right away and then geared up.

that's my solution to overheating too. but admittedly I do tolerate heat better than most... it's cold that I can't deal with.
I get my kit completely ready to go.... put my suit on, walk to the water and soak for a few... on real hot days I'll wet my hood.... head back to grab the kit and get to the water with no foolin around.
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Desert Diver
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Desert Diver »

My friend and I were diving hooded semi-drys and when we went to DUI crushed neoprene suits added over 10 lbs of lead
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

mz53480 wrote:On really hot days I usually leave my drysuit zipper just a little bit open and then dive.
Works great.
:rofl:

This is a real nice suit. http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/Category ... SSDNT.html
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

at that price, it oughta be...

kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

you will be hard pressed to find a good 7mm suit under 350-400
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

kdupreez wrote:you will be hard pressed to find a good 7mm suit under 350-400
and at 400 bucks that Hollis suit is a darn good deal. It's comparable to Aqualungs SOLA which run's a full 100 bucks more.
Though if you ware it around the dive site it won't be any cooler than a drysuit in the summer.
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

This!

Exposure suits are designed to keep you warm. They work both above and below the surface. Anything that's not going to make you too hot at the surface is going to make you cold on the dive. Save your $.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
bucknaked
Submariner

Post by bucknaked »

Justbe the last one to suit up u will be cooler and it will increase your popularity with your dive buddies 0 :angelblue:
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Nwbrewer wrote:

This!

Exposure suits are designed to keep you warm. They work both above and below the surface. Anything that's not going to make you too hot at the surface is going to make you cold on the dive. Save your $.
+1 on saving the $$. Throwing money at an otherwise easily solveable problem seems to me to be a waste - speaking as one who does not have coin to waste. I have sweated my rear off in a 7ml wet suit on the surface in Summer as much or more than in a drysuit.

Easier way to deal with overheating? Why not cool water just like you use hot water in the Winter? Couple of dumps of water over the head, get the hood wet, gear up head for the water and you are good.

(Oh, and I overheat easily and sweat like a pig.)
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

+1 on the cool water Tom! Its a sad waste of money to go spend $400 on a wet suit that you will use 2 months out of year.. I'd rather spend that on a thiner but good undergarment..

Or just get suited up, and go play around in the water till everyone else is ready..

at C2 and Redondo you can also go cool down in the shower.

I also found that if I pull the neck seal, crouch down and get myself nicely vacuum packed, then go cool off with cold water, the vacuum packing removes much loft from the suit and that helps staying cool as well..
Wagon173
Avid Diver

Post by Wagon173 »

I was rockin' a Bare 7/6 all last winter that worked fine for me. It's only about $250. But then again I tried diving the 3 mil that I moved here with. I finished the dive but it wasn't one of the better decisions I've ever made... My log book learned a few new words.
If it's stupid and it works, it ain't stupid!
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

kdupreez wrote:+1 on the cool water Tom! Its a sad waste of money to go spend $400 on a wet suit that you will use 2 months out of year.. I'd rather spend that on a thiner but good undergarment..

Or just get suited up, and go play around in the water till everyone else is ready..

at C2 and Redondo you can also go cool down in the shower.

I also found that if I pull the neck seal, crouch down and get myself nicely vacuum packed, then go cool off with cold water, the vacuum packing removes much loft from the suit and that helps staying cool as well..
There is always that lowtech solution:)

ArcticDiver
I've Got Gills

Post by ArcticDiver »

Plus However Many on saving money. But; if you insist on a 7mm wetsuit try Xcel discounts. I got a decent farmer-john for $150. Doesn't fit perfectly but it does the job.
The only box you have to think outside of is the one you build around yourself.