Sea otter watch

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
franroque
Frequent Bubbler

Sea otter watch

Post by franroque »

Has anyone seen any sea otters? I'd love to observe them in the wild and if not illegal go diving with them. Thanks!
renoun
I've Got Gills

Re: Sea otter watch

Post by renoun »

I've seen river otters at various places in the San Juans but I can't think of a place to send you to see them. In Washington the sea otter population is on the Pacific coast, I'm not sure that they come in past Port Angeles.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Sea otters in puget sound? I don't think so. I know where there are 3 families of river otters and though I see them regularly they have never come around underwater. I don't think they like divers.
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

The only one I have seen was on Ruston way, about a mile north of Les Davis. It ran across the road from the water to a muddy overgrown area and vanished.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
franroque
Frequent Bubbler

Post by franroque »

You all might think it weird but I much prefer sea otters to river otters. I really don't have much interest in observing river otters. I'm really drawn to the mannerisms especially the grooming and laid back feeding lifestyle of sea otters. I was hoping they weren't too far. Looks like I need to make a long road trip to Vancouver island or the Pacific coast.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

franroque wrote:You all might think it weird but I much prefer sea otters to river otters. I really don't have much interest in observing river otters. I'm really drawn to the mannerisms especially the grooming and laid back feeding lifestyle of sea otters. I was hoping they weren't too far. Looks like I need to make a long road trip to Vancouver island or the Pacific coast.

There are rafts of them up on vancouver island....but. none in the sound that I'm aware of....
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

They require large rafts of kelp to live on and we just don't have that here. You might contact the Point Defiance aquarium for info for their habits along our coasts though most of the coast north of Greys Harbor is pretty inaccessible.
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

Joshua Smith wrote:
franroque wrote:You all might think it weird but I much prefer sea otters to river otters. I really don't have much interest in observing river otters. I'm really drawn to the mannerisms especially the grooming and laid back feeding lifestyle of sea otters. I was hoping they weren't too far. Looks like I need to make a long road trip to Vancouver island or the Pacific coast.

There are rafts of them up on vancouver island....but. none in the sound that I'm aware of....
I have seen one in the Thea Foss Waterway in Tacoma (about 18 months ago when we were househunting here). Maybe it was hte same one Linedog saw :-) Of course, it could have been a river otter that just got a little confused...

Jim
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

RoxnDox wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:

I have seen one in the Thea Foss Waterway in Tacoma (about 18 months ago when we were househunting here). Maybe it was hte same one Linedog saw :-) Of course, it could have been a river otter that just got a little confused...

Jim

River otters are fairly common in the sound. Even though they are called "river" otters they can swim in any kind of water, but make their dens out of the water - which is probably why Linedog saw one crossing the road. Sea otters, as said above, are uncommon inland, and to see a true sea otter in the sound would be very unusual, and might even qualify as a "stranded" marine mammal.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

There are a few pullouts along hwy 101 on the outer coast where, with a spotting scope, you might see some sea otters. An Olympic National Park interpretive center could probably give you some suggestions on pullouts/mile posts which are more reliable viewing spots than others. Dive access is non-existant out there though.

One of the (canadian) dive operators in Barkley Sound, Tahsis, or Sooke might be able to arrange dives in the vicinity of sea otters.

Its going to take work, money, planning, and luck :)
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

OK maybe it was a really big rat with a fat tail that ran weird. Or Jeff Pack on a covert mission!
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

No, what I'm saying is it's a river otter, and it's not confused - *river* otters in the Puget Sound are normal! *Sea* otters on the other hand, are not.
franroque
Frequent Bubbler

Post by franroque »

No real difference in my mind between a rat and river otter. The behavior of the two are similar, scurrying almost slithering to some place else quickly. Sea otters seem more chill. Floating on their backs to do most of their activities. They are like lazy cats of the sea.
ORDiver
Aquanaut

Post by ORDiver »

There used to be tons of them on the entire pacific coast a couple hundred years ago but by the dawn of the 20th century most of them had been turned in to stylish fur coats for furless humans to wear.
Here's a link to some info on the small Washington coast population:

http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/00314/
franroque
Frequent Bubbler

Post by franroque »

CaptnJack wrote:There are a few pullouts along hwy 101 on the outer coast where, with a spotting scope, you might see some sea otters. An Olympic National Park interpretive center could probably give you some suggestions on pullouts/mile posts which are more reliable viewing spots than others. Dive access is non-existant out there though.

One of the (canadian) dive operators in Barkley Sound, Tahsis, or Sooke might be able to arrange dives in the vicinity of sea otters.

I would actually enjoy hiking in with a snorkle set to some place remote and try my luck. I would find it difficult to be completely at ease snorkeling out on the coast. Preferably, I would go along with someone that a shark finds more delectable. Anyone think they fit the bill? If so please let me know when you'd be free to go on a road trip.
franroque
Frequent Bubbler

Post by franroque »

ORDiver wrote:There used to be tons of them on the entire pacific coast a couple hundred years ago but by the dawn of the 20th century most of them had been turned in to stylish fur coats for furless humans to wear.
Here's a link to some info on the small Washington coast population:

http://wdfw.wa.gov/publications/00314/
Excellent! Thanks for the link!
RoxnDox
Submariner

Post by RoxnDox »

eliseaboo wrote:
RoxnDox wrote:
Joshua Smith wrote:

Jim

River otters are fairly common in the sound. Even though they are called "river" otters they can swim in any kind of water, but make their dens out of the water - which is probably why Linedog saw one crossing the road. Sea otters, as said above, are uncommon inland, and to see a true sea otter in the sound would be very unusual, and might even qualify as a "stranded" marine mammal.
Huh, ok... Good to know in case I see more of 'em :notworthy:
Linedog wrote:OK maybe it was a really big rat with a fat tail that ran weird. Or Jeff Pack on a covert mission!
Nah, wouldn't be Jeff - aka "Mr Monk" - if it involves hair and water... :neener:

Jim
<Penopolypants> "I, for one, would welcome our new cowboy octopus overlords."
<LCF> "There is ALWAYS another day to dive, as long as you get home today."
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

franroque wrote:
CaptnJack wrote:There are a few pullouts along hwy 101 on the outer coast where, with a spotting scope, you might see some sea otters. An Olympic National Park interpretive center could probably give you some suggestions on pullouts/mile posts which are more reliable viewing spots than others. Dive access is non-existant out there though.

I would actually enjoy hiking in with a snorkle set to some place remote and try my luck. I would find it difficult to be completely at ease snorkeling out on the coast. Preferably, I would go along with someone that a shark finds more delectable. Anyone think they fit the bill? If so please let me know when you'd be free to go on a road trip.

The problem is not so much any sharks. Its the sea cliffs, surge, and swell. And potential logs in the water. A couple years ago someone inquired about rock climbing down some of the cliffs around Tatoosh to be able to spearfish out there. Not sure if he went or not but he's not active here on the board anymore...
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

franroque wrote:No real difference in my mind between a rat and river otter. The behavior of the two are similar, scurrying almost slithering to some place else quickly. Sea otters seem more chill. Floating on their backs to do most of their activities. They are like lazy cats of the sea.
If you actually think this, you might try spending some time actually watching all three animals.

I've watched a lot of sea otters and river otters- rats, not so much, as they do 'slither' away too fast. River otters are one of the very few wild animals that spend a lot of time as adults engaged in play- going up and down mud slides, chasing each other around obstacle courses, etc. They are very entertaining to watch.
Sea otters are cute, but wild ones aren't playful. Being a warm-blooded animal immersed in cold seawater, without the benefit of blubber, they're just barely getting by. All their waking time is spent finding and eating some crazy high percent of their body weight, and grooming their fur that is so all-important in keeping them warm.

River otters have energy to burn and use it to play; sea otters spend all their time just trying to maintain their body temperature. And rats spend their time dodging predators and making more rats.
franroque
Frequent Bubbler

Post by franroque »

CaptnJack wrote:
franroque wrote:

The problem is not so much any sharks. Its the sea cliffs, surge, and swell. And potential logs in the water. A couple years ago someone inquired about rock climbing down some of the cliffs around Tatoosh to be able to spearfish out there. Not sure if he went or not but he's not active here on the board anymore...
Wow! The guy wanted to rock climb down to the water and then go spearfishing. It's too bad I missed him. He sounds like the guy I need to explore more remote areas with. I do hope he made it out okay and just joined spearfishing/freediving board instead. I plan to try the Strait of Juan de Fuca before heading to the coast.
franroque
Frequent Bubbler

Post by franroque »

Greg Jensen wrote:
franroque wrote:No real difference in my mind between a rat and river otter. The behavior of the two are similar, scurrying almost slithering to some place else quickly. Sea otters seem more chill. Floating on their backs to do most of their activities. They are like lazy cats of the sea.
If you actually think this, you might try spending some time actually watching all three animals.

I've watched a lot of sea otters and river otters- rats, not so much, as they do 'slither' away too fast. River otters are one of the very few wild animals that spend a lot of time as adults engaged in play- going up and down mud slides, chasing each other around obstacle courses, etc. They are very entertaining to watch.
Sea otters are cute, but wild ones aren't playful. Being a warm-blooded animal immersed in cold seawater, without the benefit of blubber, they're just barely getting by. All their waking time is spent finding and eating some crazy high percent of their body weight, and grooming their fur that is so all-important in keeping them warm.

River otters have energy to burn and use it to play; sea otters spend all their time just trying to maintain their body temperature. And rats spend their time dodging predators and making more rats.
You just got my vote to go observe river otters in the wild. Where are your favorite places to view them? I'd still like first-hand experience swimming with sea otters in the wild. I guess the sea otters at the aquarium don't have to worry so much about obtaining food unlike the wild ones. Thanks for your input!
Greg Jensen
Amphibian

Post by Greg Jensen »

I've mostly watched them up at Bamfield (Barkley Sound, west side of Vancouver Island). One of the coolest things was when there were four of them chasing each other, nose to tail, in a spiral around a big floating log. It was almost hypnotic.

I see a lot of them down here, especially around Brownsville and Illahee, but those places haven't been as amenable to viewing. Too hard to see them for very long when they're swimming around a marina.

All my sea otter viewing has been in Alaska (Prince William Sound and Aleutians) and in Monterey. Monterey would be the best bet for diving with them (assuming there's no federal regulations against it....)
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

franroque wrote: Wow! The guy wanted to rock climb down to the water and then go spearfishing. It's too bad I missed him. He sounds like the guy I need to explore more remote areas with. I do hope he made it out okay and just joined spearfishing/freediving board instead. I plan to try the Strait of Juan de Fuca before heading to the coast.
Here's the old thread. http://www.nwdiveclub.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9331

I don't know if echinodermator ever made it out there. I recommend salt creek county park just west of Port Angeles as a baby step to diving/snorkeling out on the outer coast. No sea otters but there is surge, kelp, and modestly difficult rocky access. And its a nice dive in its own right.
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

I kept thinking Monterey, but then was thinking you wanted to stay more local. Then I started doing the math in my head, and it might be actually more economical for you to just fly or drive down to Monterey for a long weekend, do some diving in the kelp forests, and definitely see sea otters, than for you to make all these little trips around WA where there might be sea otters maybe and you would likely have to charter a boat. One shore diving site that comes to mind is Point Lobos, easy shore access and maybe I'm lucky but I've always seen a sea otter hanging out at the surface (though never underwater). Right outside the aquarium is another place I've always seen sea otters on the surface, but they're usually quite far out.

Do be aware that *sea* otters are marine mammals (river otters are not), and even though I personally see no harm in attempting to approach them on scuba (they will likely just swim away), it does technically violate the Marine Mammal Protection Act (I think) that requires you to not approach closer than 100 yards.
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

Wow. I never considered my underwater encounters with marine mammals as a violation of the Marine Mammal Protection Act. I've seen whales, seals, sea lions, and otters, but always initiated by the animals. Some have been aggressive. With my sluggish speed in the water, I don't see how I can avoid them. Approaching them at a haul-out area is something else. As far as river otters, my dog has had several hilarious interactions with them, the most recent was this morning. Don't accuse me of harassing the otters, Chelsea was on a leash when the little rascals swam right up to her and leaped onto the dock.
-Curt
Happy to be alive.