The return of SCUBA trivia!!!

General banter about diving and why we love it.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Re: The return of SCUBA trivia!!!

Post by CaptnJack »

oldsalt wrote:Nope. I've sailed on a Dauntless, but that is not the name I was given for the wreck.
-Curt
You sure? The Dauntless wrecked in the 1920s! :rawlings:
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
ljjames
I've Got Gills

Post by ljjames »

The Flyer?

My mom used to dive on burnt wreck bits when we lived up there.
----
"I survived the Brittandrea Dorikulla, where's my T-shirt!"
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

Laura, I probably dived with your mother. I have a different name. I have learned about two other wrecks, Dauntless and Flyer. A hint. The woman who told me the name of the wreck is a diver and published author.
-Curt
Happy to be alive.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Betty Pratt-Johnson?
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

That's the person. I met her on a dive near Anacortes. One of her books names the ship.
-Curt
Happy to be alive.
lundysd
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by lundysd »

Curt you're stymied us all! Any other hints? :)
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

When we dived it Betty called it the Utopia. I thought it would be easy because she published it one of her books and it was frequently dived in the 80's, although not much was left. I was past the artifact collecting stage, but stuff just disappeared. How about an easier pair of wrecks - a tug towing a clipper ship which grounded off the west side of San Juan Island early in the 20th century. The clipper ship is still dived (My god-grandson did it last week) and the tug was salvaged and sank later.
-Curt
Happy to be alive.
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

That one is much easier. The ship was the bark rigged America, towed by the Steamer Lorne.

The figurehead from the ship can still be seen at the Rosario Resort.
Attachments
America Figurehead at Rosario Resort
America Figurehead at Rosario Resort
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

Scott, this is in your book. If we ever get together, I would like you to sign my copy.
Wreck of the America and Lorne.
AmericaWreck.jpg
You go Scott.
-Curt
Happy to be alive.
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

Thanks Curt, we do need to get together one of these days (maybe in the San Juan's).

Keeping with Curt's San Juan Islands Wreck Diving theme, I'll start with a passenger vessel that was built in Seattle in 1908. At the time she was built, she was billed as the fastest passenger vessel in the world. For decades she carried passengers throughout the San Juan islands. She then worked ferrying workers to the Harbor Island shipyard for the Moran Family (Rosario Resort, Orcas Island). Eventually, she was abandoned and turned into a floating church in the San Juan's.

Today, she's stitting on the bottom in a protected harbor, a fascinating bit of history that only a few lucky divers get to visit.
citycatred
Submariner

Post by citycatred »

boydski wrote:Thanks Curt, we do need to get together one of these days (maybe in the San Juan's).

Keeping with Curt's San Juan Islands Wreck Diving theme, I'll start with a passenger vessel that was built in Seattle in 1908. At the time she was built, she was billed as the fastest passenger vessel in the world. For decades she carried passengers throughout the San Juan islands. She then worked ferrying workers to the Harbor Island shipyard for the Moran Family (Rosario Resort, Orcas Island). Eventually, she was abandoned and turned into a floating church in the San Juan's.

Today, she's stitting on the bottom in a protected harbor, a fascinating bit of history that only a few lucky divers get to visit.
M/V Speeder?
When in doubt, make a fool of yourself. There is a microscopically thin line between being brilliantly creative and acting like the most gigantic idiot on earth. So what the hell, leap.
Cynthia Heimel
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

citycatred wrote:M/V Speeder?
Excellent work! It was in fact the Saint Speeder that is now sitting on the bottom of Reid Harbor on Stuart Island in the San Juan Islands. This wreck is also known as the Reid Harbor Wreck.

Citycatred, you're up!
citycatred
Submariner

Post by citycatred »

I needed the help of your website to figure out that one >.< I'm not that great with wrecks....so Im going to move the subject back to biology....

I am a rare sight in the Puget Sound but I have been spotted at both Redondo and Point Hudson, my mother always told me that I was not fat... I was only big boned...yet she said that to my 300 million brothers and sisters as well....What am I?
When in doubt, make a fool of yourself. There is a microscopically thin line between being brilliantly creative and acting like the most gigantic idiot on earth. So what the hell, leap.
Cynthia Heimel
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

citycatred wrote:I needed the help of your website to figure out that one >.< I'm not that great with wrecks....so Im going to move the subject back to biology....

I am a rare sight in the Puget Sound but I have been spotted at both Redondo and Point Hudson, my mother always told me that I was not fat... I was only big boned...yet she said that to my 300 million brothers and sisters as well....What am I?
Too easy...mola mola!
Kelly
citycatred
Submariner

Post by citycatred »

ktb wrote:
citycatred wrote:I needed the help of your website to figure out that one >.< I'm not that great with wrecks....so Im going to move the subject back to biology....

Too easy...mola mola!
Correct =^.^= Did you know that some scientists actually consider the mola mola planktonic, since they are normally observed using the water currents to drift instead of actually swimming?
Cynthia Heimel
oldsalt
I've Got Gills

Post by oldsalt »

[quote="citycatred] Did you know that some scientists actually consider the mola mola planktonic, since they are normally observed using the water currents to drift instead of actually swimming?[/quote]

Especially after sea lions have bitten off their dorsal and ventral fins. A gruesome sight. I can't help but feel sorry for the sunfish.
-Curt
Happy to be alive.
citycatred
Submariner

Post by citycatred »

oldsalt wrote:[quote="citycatred] Did you know that some scientists actually consider the mola mola planktonic, since they are normally observed using the water currents to drift instead of actually swimming?
Especially after sea lions have bitten off their dorsal and ventral fins. A gruesome sight. I can't help but feel sorry for the sunfish.
-Curt[/quote][/quote]

Yeah there is a youtube video out there of a mola mola divers found without its fins, it pretty much just sinks to the sea floor and waits to get eaten by sea stars....that just sucks
Cynthia Heimel
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

citycatred wrote:
oldsalt wrote:[quote="citycatred] Did you know that some scientists actually consider the mola mola planktonic, since they are normally observed using the water currents to drift instead of actually swimming?
-Curt
[/quote]

Yeah there is a youtube video out there of a mola mola divers found without its fins, it pretty much just sinks to the sea floor and waits to get eaten by sea stars....that just sucks[/quote][/quote][/quote]

Well THAT'S a lovely thought . . .

Damn. I guess I need to come up with a question now, eh?
Kelly
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

ktb wrote:I guess I need to come up with a question now, eh?
The answer is "yes."

Do I win? :joshsmith:
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
citycatred
Submariner

Post by citycatred »

ktb wrote:
citycatred wrote:
-Curt
Yeah there is a youtube video out there of a mola mola divers found without its fins, it pretty much just sinks to the sea floor and waits to get eaten by sea stars....that just sucks[/quote][/quote][/quote]

Well THAT'S a lovely thought . . .
[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]

How about we turn that thought into an actual experience =^.^= heres the video [youtube]http://youtu.be/FGS8yBQ5Yt8[/youtube]
Cynthia Heimel
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

Sick and wrong.
Kelly
defied
I've Got Gills

Post by defied »

Is that the question? If so, then... "yes"...

D
citycatred
Submariner

Post by citycatred »

defied wrote:Is that the question? If so, then... "yes"...

D
We already know you are sick and wrong defied :neener:
Cynthia Heimel
ktb
I've Got Gills

Post by ktb »

Thank you Sonia!

And now, my question:
How many hyperbaric treatment centers are there in Washington State? (And yes, I'm including non-public ones.)
Kelly
citycatred
Submariner

Post by citycatred »

ktb wrote:Thank you Sonia!

And now, my question:
How many hyperbaric treatment centers are there in Washington State? (And yes, I'm including non-public ones.)
Cynthia Heimel