We lost another Dive site

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Mortuus
Amphibian

Re: We lost another Dive site

Post by Mortuus »

Scuba Jon wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:
BASSMAN wrote:We have a couple of sites down at the South end that require going across the train tracks. While I don't see any reason to close the access, I have noticed specifically at Titlow, The teens seem to like just hanging out, on the tracks there. :lurk:
As I've seen many cargo type trains go by, I once saw a passenger train go past and WOW! :smt119 It was moving and not slowing down for anything. So if there are passenger trains on those tracks I would understand a reason for closure.
But, other than a Boat, is there no ther way to get to this site? :dontknow: I've wanted to dive this site for a long time and now it looks as if I wont be able to. :crybaby:
Do we have Any Options?
:dontknow: :smt064
Anything is possible. There are options for diving this site. Other than using a boat you could -

A) Get in at EUP on a slack tide before flood. You'll need 3 CUDA's, some double 130's, and 5-6 stages. Haul a$$ to the north on a 50' contour until you find the buoy. Turn left to the rock. You batteries and gas will be spent. Surface, inflate SMB, and drift for a day or so back to EUP.

B) This option is best done as a night dive. Talk to a guy who owns a large green van full of tools. Have him drive by the site, where you'll exit said van fully geared up. Use bolt cutters (found in the van) to cut through the fence, play Frogger with the trains, and drop in. The rest is easy.

C) (This option may work, but I doubt it) 100' rock is actually several hundred yards to the south of where people had been parking. It's in front of someone's house. Convince the land owner to let you access the shore via their property. Go diving.

Or find someone with a boat who's willing to take you. Mattleycrue has a boat, and I'll bet he could be talked into diving on a Thursday.....

You missed option "D"
About a mile north of the now closed access to 100 foot rock is a park with beach access (underpass gets you to the water side of the tracks). You park in their parking lot, suit up, hike the mile from the lot to the beach down the windy, steep dirt trail to the water. Get in and do a surface swim till you are above the rock (more than a mile) and do your dive. Reverse the process to get back to your car. As an added bonus, this way does not require anything more than an aluminum 80 since most of the trip is above the surface!
Okay, I hate to bump such an old topic, but I have to ask.... Has anyone tried scootering from "option D"? I noticed that underpass on Google Maps, and thats what prompted me to start searching the forum for info about a dive starting from there. According to Google, it would be about a 3000ft scooter run (on the surface) each way.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Interesting, I'm open to giving it a try, I've got Casey's super duper 2x pack in my Sierra.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

I don't know anyone who's tried it. The whole "hike a mile down a twisting dirt path with full gear" is enough to convince me nowt to do it. It was bad enough crawling over RR tracks then down the rocks to the beach and walking up to the entry on the beach. I have heard (completely a rumor) that if you ask nicely the ranger **may** let you bring your gear down to the park via the handicap entrance to the park.

Let us know how it goes if you do it, it's a fun dive.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

I got a boat.
However diving this boulder is not really worth the drive/launch/gas compared to alternatives so I've never been here by boat. Its been at least 6 years since I dove here, so maybe I could be convinced to rediscover it sometime.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Jeff Pack
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeff Pack »

Just for a 1 mile scooter ride would be fun.
=============================================

- I got a good squirt in my mouth
- I would imagine that there would be a large amount of involuntary gagging
- I don't know about you but I'm not into swallowing it

CCR discussion on Caustic Cocktails.
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

CaptnJack wrote:I got a boat.
However diving this boulder is not really worth the drive/launch/gas compared to alternatives so I've never been here by boat. Its been at least 6 years since I dove here, so maybe I could be convinced to rediscover it sometime.
Heh, what might be able to convince you to rediscover it?
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Cost to value for 100ft rock via my boat is way outa whack. I would have to drive 70mins north to launch in Kingston, come over to Shilshole or Edmonds, pick up divers, dive, drop off divers and return across the Sound to Kingston. Then drive 70mins home. 20miles of boat driving and about 90 for my truck. NWbrewer you should take Mortuus and your boat here instead, much less messing around than me.

Alternatively, the rock would make a good 2nd dive after a charter to the Kehloken or Possession Point fingers.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Aren't the fingers a shore dive? That's what some divers at Langley were telling me. They also said it wasn't very current sensitive.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

You can scooter the fingers, but you can't see even 1/2 the site swimming from shore (IMO). They are current sensitive, much moreso for ebbs than floods.
lundysd
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by lundysd »

It is about 1/3 to 1/2 of a mile from the entry at PP fingers to the south end of the dive site -- at this point the wall doesn't begin until below 100ft. You could swim it, but you'd run out of bottom time or gas most likely :)

As long as you stay in the fingers themselves, current isn't too much of an issue (though I wouldn't dive it on a huge exchange just to be safe)
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

lundysd wrote:It is about 1/3 to 1/2 of a mile from the entry at PP fingers to the south end of the dive site -- at this point the wall doesn't begin until below 100ft. You could swim it, but you'd run out of bottom time or gas most likely :)

As long as you stay in the fingers themselves, current isn't too much of an issue (though I wouldn't dive it on a huge exchange just to be safe)
I've done it as a scooter dive from the boat launch that's about 1/3 mile north of the fingers.

Mattleycrue and I got in and surface scootered to the drop point, clipped off the scoots and did the dive. The currents in the fingers and on the way out was nothing, but on the return trip we hit 20fsw and got slammed. Speed 5 on a sierra + kicking and we were barely making any headway. We bailed up to 10' and it slowed enough for us to start moving again.

I think Jan does it regularly from shore but he gets in at the little park that's right above the fingers. My understanding is that it requires a bit of a walk from the parking lot, but I've never done it.

Mortuus if I decide to do 100 rock I'll let you know. But honestly if I'm going to put my boat in the water it's going to be PP ferry and fingers.
"Screw "annual" service,... I get them serviced when they break." - CaptnJack (paraphrased)

"you do realize you're supposed to mix the :koolaid: with water and drink it, not snort the powder directly from the packet, right? :smt064 " - Spatman
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Nwbrewer wrote:But honestly if I'm going to put my boat in the water it's going to be PP ferry and fingers.
Yeah agree. Or the Omar, Shilshole or West point barges. Which actually might be fun to buddy boat day. Brewer? ORdiver? Boydski? Bueller?
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

CaptnJack wrote:
Nwbrewer wrote:But honestly if I'm going to put my boat in the water it's going to be PP ferry and fingers.
Yeah agree. Or the Omar, Shilshole or West point barges. Which actually might be fun to buddy boat day. Brewer? ORdiver? Boydski? Bueller?
Let's find a day with good tides.

CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

They aren't very current sensitive but will do
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

If you guys decide to put a public trip together, let me know. Id love to get out and see some more stuff, especially boat sites