Sund Rock - 10/20/12

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Sund Rock - 10/20/12

Post by Scubie Doo »

Penders and I needed a nice full day of diving so we decided to take a trip out to Sund Rock. We left Puyallup about 7:30 and it was cold and pouring. We were both hoping for the best. About 1/2 hour from Hoodsport the diving Gods decided to deliver some sunshine our way.

Our first dive was the deepest of the day. We decided to hit the North wall and head out to the Sea Whip field. At about 85' I saw a Nudibranch I had never seen. I snapped a couple pics and flagged Mike down. Mike was also waving me over to see something. After a few second of trying to determine who had the best find, we decided to switch places. I had to laugh because we both found the same type Nudibranch, which was a first for both of us. We finished the dive at 59 minutes with a 105' max depth.

For dive two we decided to drop just south of the North wall and head over to the south wall. We stumbled across some really cool finds, including a Sea Spider. After about 20 minutes I realized we must have seen 1/2 dozen different types of Nudibrnachs. So I started documenting everyone, so I could count how many we saw. Here is my personal favorite. Yes, it looks like a heart. And yes, I cried during Sleepless in Seattle. Anyway, I think it is cool. this dive was a little shorter at 58 minutes with a max depth of 53'. Mainly because we were getting pretty chilly.

Dive 3 was all about the south wall, and it was great! We saw 4-5 huge GPOs on eggs. One looked like an alien, it was white as a ghost. It was interesting and sad at the same time. This dive was 63 minutes at 68'. Here is the pic of the Octo. Please don't ask how I got the eye to light up, it was complete luck :-)

BTW - Viz was between 20-25' and a little hazy at times. All in all we saw 6-7 otcos, 6 Wolfies, 14 different species of nudibranchs (including 2 I have never seen), and many other cool critters. I will post a few more photos after I get done watching football tomorrow :-) Have a good Sunday everyone!
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Sund Rock - 10/20/12

Post by Gdog »

Nice work! I was waiting for your pics, and seeing them I won't be posting mine! Great shots. And it was good re- meeting you and mpenders again.
olyvtx
Dive-aholic

Post by olyvtx »

great photos and find! your nudi looks like a white-spotted dendronotus.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Gdog wrote:Nice work! I was waiting for your pics, and seeing them I won't be posting mine! Great shots. And it was good re- meeting you and mpenders again.
Come on gdog, post those pics :) It was good seeing you again too.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

olyvtx wrote:great photos and find! your nudi looks like a white-spotted dendronotus.
Thanks olyvtx. I thought it was, but was not 100% sure. It always amazes me that even after several hundred dives here, we still see new critters.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

I love the Hood. There are always so many cool things to see there.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

I want to go to Sund rock! :-({|=
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Vis was pretty good
Vis was pretty good
Lots of life
Lots of life
GPO out in the fishpen
GPO out in the fishpen
Lots of Wolf eels
Lots of Wolf eels
Young Wolf Eeel.jpg
Rob Carter and I did a couple dives that day as well, saw several GPO's, and I dont know how many Wolf Eels, seemed like they were everywhere. Went out to the whips to see Scubie Doo and Mpenders nudi, but didnt find it. We did find a GPO out in the open, but by the time Rob got my attention it was sliding into a hole, so missed that photo op!
Some really good dives.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Nice job gdog. I like the WA shot with all the perch.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Thanks Jesse. Shooting an old oly 5060wa. An EPM-1 is on my bucket list. Some day....
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Gdog, just bought my wife E-PM1 and it is a great camera. You will love it.

I went ahead and posted several more photos of the Sund Rock dive to my website. They are the first 25 in the album. Here are a few of my personal favorites.

BTW - You should come up for the Thursday evening dive this week :-)

Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Awesome stuff as usual Jesse. You going to come up and visit me again in PT?
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Dusty2 wrote:Awesome stuff as usual Jesse. You going to come up and visit me again in PT?
Thank you.

Yes, when is the next PT adventure?
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Nov. 2nd through the 7th All afternoon dives with possible second/night dives.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Ohhhh, night dives at PT. Okay, I will check out my schedule. I know I have a Chicago trip coming up, not sure when though.