East Stanchion 10-25-12

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
dalcodiver
Avid Diver

East Stanchion 10-25-12

Post by dalcodiver »

Dove the East Stanchion during the morning slack in the Tacoma Narrows today. Vis was around 40ft had slack current almost the entire dive. Found a GPO out in the open and very friendly. Bottom time limited the stay with the GPO , we then moved shallower to the anchor blocks & old road deck where we found several large ling cod and black rockfish to observe for a while. Vis was clear enough that if you stopped to look upwards at 40ft the bridge was visible.
If I'm not diving unfortunately I'm working.
Mortuus
Amphibian

Re: East Stanchion 10-25-12

Post by Mortuus »

That sounds awesome!! The narrows bridge is a site that I have been wanting to do for a while. Dumb question: Did you drift it, or did you descend and ascend on the caisson?
dalcodiver
Avid Diver

Re: East Stanchion 10-25-12

Post by dalcodiver »

I usually decend down the stanchion then cross to the east to the anchor blocks and then further to the east into the shallows to off gas. You can also go in just under the bridge at slack then head west to the anchor blocks and return back to the east, that allows you to choose your overall depth profile. BTW there is always a bit of current sometime during the dive , slack only lasts for a short period (15-20minutes).
If I'm not diving unfortunately I'm working.