First 2013 dive -- Cove 2 tonight

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
LCF
I've Got Gills

First 2013 dive -- Cove 2 tonight

Post by LCF »

I really wasn't going to go diving. It was cold, and I'm sort of sick, playing touch and go with Peter's cold. I didn't think it was going to be good to spend an hour breathing very cold, dry air. I didn't think it would be a good idea to get really chilled. I wasn't feeling it.

But I agreed to GO to the Cove so Peter could use the carpool lanes to get there, and as long as I was going, it didn't make sense not to take the gear and have the option . . . so almost without willing it at all, I found myself wading into some amazingly clear, dark water.

There ensued a very pleasant dive in excellent viz, complete with gunnels galore (in the open!), a nudi or two, a very cooperative ratfish, and a scaled crab missing three legs. But the star of the show, and the reason for this post, was that my decision, against my better judgment, to go diving, resulted in one of the coolest encounters and best photos I've had yet. An amazingly tiny market squid (maybe all of two inches long) decided to swim up and look in my mask, and then do aquabatics in front of me. Mindful of Scott Lundy's instruction to "shoot the good stuff", I was snapping frantically, and Peter, who was above me, was wondering what on earth I was taking pictures OF. I got one good one, but it's a really good one:

What a wonderful way to start 2013!
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Re: First 2013 dive -- Cove 2 tonight

Post by Tom Nic »

Yay for squid encounters and pictures to remember them by!!!!

Great first dive of the year!
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Very nice photo!
I don't think I've seen one posture quite that way. Was that a fleeting moment, or was he doing that a lot?
Lucky, a lot of market squid take off at the very first flash of a strobe!

What was the ratfish story?
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more! Your fellow diver will appreciate any viz reports you can add!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Great shot, Lynne! Most squid encounters are so fleeting you barely have time to raise your camera before they're gone.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

Nice shot indeed. What a cool encounter.
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Everybody agrees : Great shot !!! :supz:
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Actually, all the photographs I have of this guy, he has his tentacles curled up in front of him like that. Here's another one, but it's not nearly as clear.

The rattie was just very willing to swim around and let me take a lot of pictures of him. I got a couple I liked okay, but nothing really special.
Attachments
squid3.jpg
squid3.jpg (31.11 KiB) Viewed 1295 times
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

that first picture's great, thanks for sharing
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
Mateo1147
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Mateo1147 »

Nothing like having a dive your just not into turn into one of your best. Very nice squid shot!
You breath like a girl! -Blaiz
I thought she was right until I dove with eliseaboo!
fnerg
Dive-aholic

Post by fnerg »

Nifty squid!
sekhmet
Avid Diver

Post by sekhmet »

Very nice shot. I had a very friendly encounter with squid at Redondo last month, was on a night dive and had one really want to hang out, back up in front of my mask, swim around, and then actually do this very cool color change thing too for us, it was quite the show. I almost wanted to take him/her home with me and adopt it. That and the totally fearless juvenile plainfin midshipman were scene stealers!
"Fish Worship: Is It Wrong?"
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

I've had the adults come and seem very curious about me at Redondo a number of times. I'm not sure I'd ever seen a squid at Cove 2 before (although I've seen the eggs) and I've never seen one this small anywhere. It was a great encounter!
fnerg
Dive-aholic

Post by fnerg »

I saw a bunch of new-looking squid jigs, and a cloud of ink while diving at cove 3 recently, so I think someone may have been successfully jigging for squid above me at the time.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Awesome Lynn!!