Dive expo.

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Dive expo.

Post by Linedog »

The Expo is coming up, I have never done the golf ball/treasure hunt/swim. I can endure the throngs of divers if the prizes are worthwhile, anybody ever win something?
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Re: Dive expo.

Post by John Rawlings »

:popcorn:
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Penopolypants
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Penopolypants »

John Rawlings wrote::popcorn:
Hah!

I've done it once. My buddy found the treasure chest. He also won a trip to Quadra Island. He offered to split the chest but I refused. I did get to go to Quadra Island with him though.

I won a snorkel!

IMHO not worth the sheer terror of tanks slamming into your head in zero visibility, being squished/kicked/pummeled by divers, etc. so I've never done it again.
Come to the nerd side, we have pi!
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

OK sounds like shaving my head with a cheese grater would be more fun. I'll pass on this.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.
Waynne Fowler
I've Got Gills

Post by Waynne Fowler »

I've watched it 4 or 5 times.. never done it as it simply didn't look fun or safe to me.. though I'm gonna go and watch the fiasco this year too!
Ripper of drysuits, mocker of divers...there are no atheist divers in a mistimed Deception Pass dive. Jeremy
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

I do it every year. If clouds of zero vis silt, divers plowing the bottom, being bumped on all slbides, for the chance to win a grand, or a trip, or dive gear, then go. I don't mind the hoard of divers and the silt out, I just want a cool prize. However, here is a summary of my winnings to date:
A single divers gear bag, a couple pair of women's wetsuits that I doubt any woman over 13 could fit, and a snorkel. I have watched in envy while others won the trips the gear, and the money. So...you can't win if you don't play, right?
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Gdog wrote:I do it every year. If clouds of zero vis silt, divers plowing the bottom, being bumped on all slbides, for the chance to win a grand, or a trip, or dive gear, then go. I don't mind the hoard of divers and the silt out, I just want a cool prize. However, here is a summary of my winnings to date:
A single divers gear bag, a couple pair of women's wetsuits that I doubt any woman over 13 could fit, and a snorkel. I have watched in envy while others won the trips the gear, and the money. So...you can't win if you don't play, right?
Most people only do it once if at all! :eek: :nutty:
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Linedog wrote:OK sounds like shaving my head with a cheese grater would be more fun. I'll pass on this.
It's probably a close tie.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Fine, Dusty. Next set of Womens extra small water camo wetsuit I win you can have. Ill even throw in a snorkel.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Gdog wrote:Fine, Dusty. Next set of Womens extra small water camo wetsuit I win you can have. Ill even throw in a snorkel.
Throw in a what??? Does that have anything to do with diving? I don't know if you should get a medal or a Darwin award for going back into that madhouse! :smt064

Hope you win something good this year. You deserve it! :)
cavtrooper
Just Settling In

Post by cavtrooper »

I've done it once. Like others, I wasn't big on the frenzy of divers sloshing around the area.
pogiguy05
I've Got Gills

Post by pogiguy05 »

Just imagine about 1000 new open water divers at the same dive site getting in all at the same time. AWESOME!!!!! :pirate:
Jeff Castor