Anyone home brew?

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
KneeDeep
Submariner

Anyone home brew?

Post by KneeDeep »

Thinking about getting into (beer) home brewing.

If so, what sites have you found useful for info (forums) and supplies.
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Re: Anyone home brew?

Post by Dusty2 »

Silly question. have you not heard of NWbrewer? :eek:

There are several others that I am not sure of but I'm sure you will get the help you need.
kdupreez
I've Got Gills

Post by kdupreez »

I've had some of Spatty's home brew.. its fabulously delish!!

Quite a few people here brew.
"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party" - Ron White
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Beer and tacos are sure to get lots of responses. Home brew is spoked here. both the brewers and those who like to consume their brew! MMMMM :partyman:
Mortuus
Amphibian

Post by Mortuus »

Anyone home brew? Pfft... This site is practically nwhomebrewers.com!
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

lol... forgot about Jake's nic.

Great, now, where do I start!!! I need a good starting point... any books, pdf's site to learn the process?

I only intend to micro (if 1 gallon batches are possible) to understand the whole basic steps and techniques. Find what I really like and go from there.
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

KneeDeep wrote:Thinking about getting into (beer) home brewing.

If so, what sites have you found useful for info (forums) and supplies.
Homebrewtalk.com is a terrific resource. Any question you may have is likely to have been answered many times.

I also recommend joining homebrewersassociation.org. Their forums and website are very informative and their monthly magazine is very good, too.

Also, check out the various homebrew supply stores near you and ask a lot of questions. Many have intro classes that might help get you started. Some homebrew clubs do that as well.

And definitely read a copy of The Joy of Homebrewing. It's a great starter book and fun to read. As you get more advanced, pick up How to Brew. It's more of a textbook, but is full of excellent information.

Good luck! It's a fun hobby and really rewarding when the beer tastes good.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

KneeDeep wrote:lol... forgot about Jake's nic.

Great, now, where do I start!!! I need a good starting point... any books, pdf's site to learn the process?

I only intend to micro (if 1 gallon batches are possible) to understand the whole basic steps and techniques. Find what I really like and go from there.
Go straight to the 5 gallon batches. 1 gallon is a lot of work for little product. You'll likely start with extract brewing, which is pretty straightforward and usually yield drinkable beer.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

I forgot to mention that the first edition of Palmer's book How to Brew is available to read here:

http://howtobrew.com/intro.html
eliseaboo
I've Got Gills

Post by eliseaboo »

Here's an interesting thread on 1-gallon batches. I really like them because I can make them in my kichen, and my 1-gallon containers are much easier to clean in the sink. But, to each their own. I think extract or partial mash recipes can go either way, but I prefer small batches when I do all-grain (which is really easier than you might think! Check out the "brew in a bag" method if you decide to try a small all-grain batch but aren't sure yet if you want to invest in all the equipment)

Besides that, the best way to start is to just do it! The worst that will happen is you have 5 gallons of bad beer, so long as you're clean about everything. All of the sites above are really helpful too - definitely check them out! :mmmbeer:
renoun
I've Got Gills

Post by renoun »

I've got friends that make batches at Gallagher's in Edmonds. This might be a way to dip your toe into brewing without acquiring equipment right away.
"Just to be clear, doing the Diamond Knot requires at the minimum double IPAs to be DIR." - MattleyCrue
"Mmmm....... Oreos!
They didn't look too good when I was spitting in my mask for dive #2!" - cardiver
Linedog
I've Got Gills

Post by Linedog »

I make soap using olive oil, coconut oil, caster oil and beer. If you want some quality, natural, pure soap made with your beer shoot me a PM.
Pop tarts and gravy,
It's what's for breakfast.