Hornby Island Dive Trip - 10/2 through 10/6

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Hornby Island Dive Trip - 10/2 through 10/6

Post by Scubie Doo »

Just returned from Hornby Island with some great friends from UWS. My primary buddy (gdog) and I headed up on Thursday the second and stayed at the Beach Club Resort for (1) night. The next morning we woke up and drove to Madrona Point for a shore dive. As we pulled up there were several local divers that said "Do not go out there! Viz is 5' at best and we got separated from one of our divers." George and I thought about this, looked at the conditions and planned for the worst. We headed to the buoy in per the beautiful map that Janna posted in another post. We defended down the line and headed toward the wall. Viz at depth was about 10'-15', so it must have cleared up a bit. The main wall was pretty cool, we had a small sold eel come out and swim around us for a few minutes. I tried to get some shots, but it kept swimming right under us :-) Overall we managed a 94' dive for a BT of 64 minutes. Didn't get a ton of pics, but here is my personal favorite.

After the dive we headed to Buckley Bay to catch the ferry to Denman Island, then a second ferry to Hornby Island. Once we arrived at Hornby Island Diving, we were given a tour and shown to our rooms. Rob asked if we wanted to jump in for a shore dive. Several of us were itching to get in the water, so we headed out of the house reef. It was a very easy dive with a max depth of 42'. Viz was about 15-20' here, so pretty nice. We did spend a lot of time in the shallows hunting for lumpies, but we missed out. My favorite picture on this dive is a simple little nudibranch. However, I rarely get good shots of these without blowing them out.

After breakfast the next day we headed to Flora Islet Float #2 for a wall dive. Once we were tied up we descended down the line and there was a small rope leading to the wall. We really didn't need it because we could see the wall with the nice 30-40' viz. I tracked down a tiny little mosshead warbonnet and finally got my first photo of a Juvenile Yelloweye Rockfish (boy this are skittish fish). We drifted along to wall for 60' at a max depth of 83'. We had our eyes peeled for Sixgills but struck out. We did see some massive lingcod. When I came up, I said that this was the best cold water wall dive I have ever done. Here are a few favorites.

After lunch we headed to Nash Bank for a rocky "ledge dive". This dive was different from the previous dive, but very enjoyable. The highlight was the very large and old Yelloweye rockfish. Unfortunately, I did not even try a pic because of my macro lens. I did find out these fish are well over 100 years old. Kind of cool to think that fish was swimming around Hornby Island in 1900s. This was a shallower dive and we managed 69 minutes with a max depth of 58'. Here we also saw some really nice Puget Sound King Crab. Viz was about the same, in the 30' range.

After dinner, we headed out for a dive called Savoy near the ferry dock. This was the best dive of the day in my opinion (even though the wall was spectacular). We saw tons of PS King crab and even a small octo poking his head out and looking around. This was another 60+ minute dive with a mx depth of 46'. Here are a few favorites with this dive.

The next day we headed back to Flora Islet to dive Buoy #1.5. Viz this day was a little better, around the 50' range. George and I partnered up with Zack and had an AMAZING dive. The last two dives of the trip may have been my favorite cold water dives ever. We headed over the wall and down the deep wall to visit some chimney sponges. On this dive we maxed out at about 116' and our BT was 66 minutes. We found a ton of life on this dive including, PS King Crab, Candy Striped Shirmp, and many other fun critters. Here are a few favorites.

After lunch we hit up Toby Island for our last dive. This dive was amazing and I finally found my first baby PS King Crab. The crab in the picture below is the size of a pea. I was so excited to get some photos of this little critter, it has been on my photo list for a very long time. We spent 50 minutes on this site and maxed out at about 103'. Viz was excellent and this dive was truly amazing. After these two dive, I changed my statement. I felt these are the best wall dives I have ever done. They were incredible. I wish I had the words to explain them. Maybe someone will post some video :-)

I hope you all have a nice/safe week of diving :-)
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Hornby Island Dive Trip - 10/2 through 10/6

Post by Gdog »

Truly an honorable representation of our trip. I still have yet to go thru my pics, will get the best ones posted by this weekend Im sure, tho they all are nowhere as nice as these shots. Nice work Jesse!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

George, I am sure you got some goodies :) great diving with you. You are a fantastic dive buddy!

Btw- we should broke out the GoPro :)
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Very cool photos! And best cold water dives ever? -- so great! Nice topography there, huh?

I love the details you caught on the baby PSKC, excellent results for your first find of one especially, as they're very reflective and hard to take shots of. I also really like the cool critter on the lion's maine.
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more! Your fellow diver will appreciate any viz reports you can add!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

YellowEye wrote:Very cool photos! And best cold water dives ever? -- so great! Nice topography there, huh?

I love the details you caught on the baby PSKC, excellent results for your first find of one especially, as they're very reflective and hard to take shots of. I also really like the cool critter on the lion's maine.
I said the best cold water -wall- dive :) it was definitely up there for me.
GearHead
Submariner

Post by GearHead »

Those are some great shots. Good representation of the diving around the north end of Vancouver Island. My favorite wall dives were around Browning Pass from the Nautilus Swell. Every surface was covered with life and crawling with critters.

Too bad you didn't get such good vid at Madrona Pt, but you got to see the friendly neighborhood wolfie.
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

Nice, the wife and I are heading up to Nanaimo this weekend. I hear the viz around Madrona is around the 20-30 range now. I'm hoping to pull at least one boat dive trip. At the very least try a couple new sites we haven't been to yet. I just love the area.

The first time we were up there, viz was stellar, one could easily see ripples at the bottle of the Madrona wall.
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
KeithBoll
Compulsive Diver

Post by KeithBoll »

Thanks so much for describing these dives! I've been to Browning Pass several times and also dove around Nanaimo. However - I've never dove around Hornby Island. Got to plan a trip that direction very soon!
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

GearHead wrote:Those are some great shots. Good representation of the diving around the north end of Vancouver Island. My favorite wall dives were around Browning Pass from the Nautilus Swell. Every surface was covered with life and crawling with critters.

Too bad you didn't get such good vid at Madrona Pt, but you got to see the friendly neighborhood wolfie.
Thanks GH, I appreciate it. Yeah, even though the viz was sub-par, it was a great experience.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

KneeDeep wrote:Nice, the wife and I are heading up to Nanaimo this weekend. I hear the viz around Madrona is around the 20-30 range now. I'm hoping to pull at least one boat dive trip. At the very least try a couple new sites we haven't been to yet. I just love the area.

The first time we were up there, viz was stellar, one could easily see ripples at the bottle of the Madrona wall.
Awesome. Have a great time! I am looking forward to your trip report.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

KeithBoll wrote:Thanks so much for describing these dives! I've been to Browning Pass several times and also dove around Nanaimo. However - I've never dove around Hornby Island. Got to plan a trip that direction very soon!
No problem. I'd love to hear your trip report from hornby and see your awesome pics :)
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

KneeDeep wrote:Nice, the wife and I are heading up to Nanaimo this weekend. I hear the viz around Madrona is around the 20-30 range now. I'm hoping to pull at least one boat dive trip. At the very least try a couple new sites we haven't been to yet. I just love the area.

KD- let me know how the viz is up there :) Safe travels.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

What? No Stellar Sea Lion molesting you videos?

Did you dive with the Sea Lions? :popcorn:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

BASSMAN wrote:What? No Stellar Sea Lion molesting you videos?

Did you dive with the Sea Lions? :popcorn:
Too early in the season. Saw 1 harbor seal underwater, that's it :)
KneeDeep
Submariner

Post by KneeDeep »

Hornby Island Divers used one of you photo's for their newsletter and facebook page :joshsmith:
The ocean is a lousy teacher. First you get a test, then the lesson.
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

KneeDeep wrote:Hornby Island Divers used one of you photo's for their newsletter and facebook page :joshsmith:
They asked me if they could use that photo :) gdog alerted me too.