Diving Three Tree South

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Diving Three Tree South

Post by Jeremy »

Splashed at Three Tree South today. Saw a half buried 3ft Barbie, at least 10 boats, a bird "flew" by, octos and wolfies, lawn furniture, and more.

It's fun to explore the beauty bark zones and different ravines. Quite a different site from TTN.

Some footage:
https://vimeo.com/120926783
Rooinater
Dive-aholic

Re: Diving Three Tree South

Post by Rooinater »

Never new there was so much there! So can you park there? And you just have to pull in? I always drive by there, see all the no parking signs and don't bother. Currents similar to TTN for planning?
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Rooinater wrote:Never new there was so much there! So can you park there? And you just have to pull in? I always drive by there, see all the no parking signs and don't bother. Currents similar to TTN for planning?
You can park there temporarily while you stow your gear on the bench. I generally then go park on the road.

As far as currents, TTS seems to go the opposite of TTN. The first time I dove TTS there was no current at all, but when I went around the point to TTN the current was howling. Wind is another factor. Sat there was some big surf at TTN....while TTS was glass.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Winds out of the North mean TTN is jumping, and TTS is glass because of the point. And of course the opposite is true.

TTS is worth the excursion when viz is good (30+) and / or if you have a scooter to cover a lot of territory.

Not much to recommend the site (IMO, of course) on multiple dives or if the viz is 5-10'.
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Whoop - here is a vid link that works :)

https://vimeo.com/121108303
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Jeremy wrote:Whoop - here is a vid link that works :)

Nice vid!

More sunken boats there than I remember, but of course we were kicking and ya'all were scootin'.

You can see the sand / silt bottom, as opposed to the more rocky bottom of TTN - not sure if that is a function of current or something else. The rocky bottom seems to lend itself to more life, although I'm betting there's a ton of life under the sand that we don't see!
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Tom Nic wrote:

Nice vid!

More sunken boats there than I remember, but of course we were kicking and ya'all were scootin'.

You can see the sand / silt bottom, as opposed to the more rocky bottom of TTN - not sure if that is a function of current or something else. The rocky bottom seems to lend itself to more life, although I'm betting there's a ton of life under the sand that we don't see!
I think the three zones of Three Tree are all pretty distinct.

TTS: sandy or muddy bottom. Ravine type topography with several areas where the currents drop pieces of bark (beauty bark zones). About the same number of wrecks as TTN. Tire reef

The Point: all current swept cobblestone. Lots of small tires and junk. More beauty bark zones. The starfish and life here are distinct from either TTS or TTN.

TTN: cobblestone and mud, lots of shells. In addition to the wrecks there is the bowling ball pyramid which is housing a GPO now. Tire reefs. And the eastern junkyard where you can often find a wolfie or three.

All fun sites imo
Rooinater
Dive-aholic

Post by Rooinater »

Thanks for the info, we'll check the marine forecast to get the prevailing winds. I'll be orienting a friend with the spare scooter Thursday, so long swims aren't a problem to find everything.
Jeremy
I've Got Gills

Post by Jeremy »

Have fun! To find the ravines and boats you just get in at TTS, head straight out to 40 fsw, and hang a left. About 10-15 minutes on the trigger and you will see three boats. Then...another minute or two past them you will see additional reef and boats. Everything is pretty much at 40 fsw unless you want to see the old Fiat remains. That's closer to 70 fsw near the TTS entry.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Jeremy wrote:Have fun! To find the ravines and boats you just get in at TTS, head straight out to 40 fsw, and hang a left. About 10-15 minutes on the trigger and you will see three boats. Then...another minute or two past them you will see additional reef and boats. Everything is pretty much at 40 fsw unless you want to see the old Fiat remains. That's closer to 70 fsw near the TTS entry.
That explains it - we went maybe 50 yards left and then did the rest of the dive to the right, so we didn't see the boats that you did.
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

Wow that's a first, I've never seen a boat scuttled with the trailer still attached.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

BillZ wrote:

Wow that's a first, I've never seen a boat scuttled with the trailer still attached.
Must be a neighborhood thing. The so called "golf ball boat" at TTN was originally sunk attached to the trailer. It eventually slid off and down slope, whether from wave / tidal action or cowboy divers.