Interested in a Community Dive Calendar?

General banter about diving and why we love it.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Interested in a Community Dive Calendar?

Post by spatman »

Being relatively new to the Northwest, and newer to the diving in general, I've been doing a lot of research, and I find that I have a zillion site bookmarks (give or take a trillion or two) for listings of classes, events, buddy dives, etc.

Inspired by this great forum (thanks, Calvin!) I've been thinking about putting together a site that would allow divers, instructors, vendors, etc, to post events to a communal calendar. Sort of a one stop shop for diving happenings in the Northwest.

So I ask you, members of nwdiveclub.com:

• Would you be interested in a site like this?

• Are you like me, finding a visual calendar layout easier to use than a list of text? (although both/either could be displayed, depending on preference)

• Would this be helpful site, or just a waste of my time/energy/$$?

• Do you have any other thoughts on this you'd like to share?

Thanks, everybody. I look forward to your responses.
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Not to put any more of a task loading on Calvin, but I would suggest it to be part of nwdiveclub and you could help design or edit it as needed.
Sounds like a good idea! =D>

So this could be a nwdiveclub calendar section showing local dives, Classes and events. They would not have to be exclusive of nwdiveclub or any specific LDS.

If not part of nwdiveclub, I would put it on my Favorites list!

To see at a glance of who is diving where and when would be fun! :supz:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I think it might also be helpful to work with NW Dive News in implementing one. If you're aiming to have all the different shops, clubs, instructors, etc to post events/classes/whatever, it seems that would be the clearing house for the collective dive community.

They already put a calendar of events in the magazine and it may be online as well (haven't looked). I don't know if people would actually use it above and beyond what they're already using NWDN magazine's calendar.

Just don't want someone to put a bunch of time into something that already exists or wouldn't get used.

My 2 psi.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Ken G
I've Got Gills

Post by Ken G »

Talk to Calvin about this. We were discussing something similar last night after our dive. I think it could make a nice addition to the site.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

BASSMAN wrote:Not to put any more of a task loading on Calvin, but I would suggest it to be part of nwdiveclub and you could help design or edit it as needed.
I definitely don't want to add any burden to Calvin, so it's probably best if we kept it a separate entity. But I'm hoping that there can be a lot of cross-referencing between the two sites, almost complimentary.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Sounder wrote:I think it might also be helpful to work with NW Dive News in implementing one. If you're aiming to have all the different shops, clubs, instructors, etc to post events/classes/whatever, it seems that would be the clearing house for the collective dive community.
I think that down the road, this will be what we're shooting for. In the meantime, I was thinking to keep the exposure limited while features are implemented and tweaked until things are running smoothly.
Sounder wrote:They already put a calendar of events in the magazine and it may be online as well (haven't looked). I don't know if people would actually use it above and beyond what they're already using NWDN magazine's calendar.
That's a good point. Even though the online calendar would be available for classes, charters, etc, I'm hoping that the real benefit is for people like yourself who want to announce an upcoming dive for next Thursday or 2 weeks from now, etc. A dynamic bulletin board people could look at quickly and see if fellow divers are planning an event they could join.
Sounder wrote: Just don't want someone to put a bunch of time into something that already exists or wouldn't get used.

My 2 psi.
My sentiments exactly. Which is why I'm posing the question here, and hope to adapt the calendar to peoples needs.

Thanks for the 2 psi, Sounder.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

We actually already have a calendar:

http://www.nwdiveclub.com/calendar/month.php

Though, when I was tinkering with it and trying to get it going it didn't seem to gather much interest, so I just kinda put it on the backburner. Now that we have more members maybe it makes sense to revive the idea.

Would you guys use it? If so, I'll probably do some research and use another calendaring system since this one is a bit clunky.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Calvin wrote:We actually already have a calendar:

http://www.nwdiveclub.com/calendar/month.php

Though, when I was tinkering with it and trying to get it going it didn't seem to gather much interest, so I just kinda put it on the backburner. Now that we have more members maybe it makes sense to revive the idea.

Would you guys use it? If so, I'll probably do some research and use another calendaring system since this one is a bit clunky.
which system are you using for this one?

i just installed easyphpcalendar, but it's still in the trial version and i haven't really touched it yet:
http://www.nwdivecalendar.com/

if you want to play with it, login at the event manager link with the user and password of:
nwdiveclub
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I just don't know whether people would use it... literally, I don't know if they would or wouldn't. I think I would use it for some things, but generally I monitor what is happening on the forums and check my home calendar. Would people post every dive they were planning to do where they didn't mind if others joined them? Would they do it at first but stop doing it?

I think it would be really helpful if all the dive clubs in the area coordinated with it so multiple clubs weren't all diving the same sites on the same days (i.e. DIW really ticking off my buddy Mr. Angry :angryfire: ). Then again, would it cause conflict such as "X dive club dove DIW last time the tides were good and they've already got it on the calendar again! Would people start thinking of it as though they were reserving dive sites ('cause you know that wouldn't fly!)

Interesting idea - just more of my thoughts on the manner. Take them for what you paid for them... nothing. :salute: Opinions are like :bootyshake: , everybody's got one. #-o
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

I think the idea is for this club to have a calendar to plan club dives, trips, charters, etc. - not to have every dive club subscribe and adhere to a reservation system.

A calendar + tide table would be cool.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

I think having it stay within the club would be excellent. We all know nobody would adhere to any sort of reservation system, myself included.

I REALLY REALLY like the idea of combining a calendar with tides!!! \:D/ :prayer: :bounce:
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Sounder wrote:I think it might also be helpful to work with NW Dive News in implementing one.
they do have one online:
http://www.nwdivenews.com/forum/calendar.php
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Calvin wrote:A calendar + tide table would be cool.
how would you envision this working? the tide data alongside the calendar?
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Calvin wrote:A calendar + tide table would be cool.
Sounder wrote:I REALLY REALLY like the idea of combining a calendar with tides!!! \:D/ :prayer: :bounce:
i've added a link to the calendar that will pop-up a search interface for washington tides:
http://nwdivecalendar.com/
i'll add another for oregon tides soon.

the site is very rough and would need styling and other additions, but do you all think this is heading in a better direction?

what else would you want to see on a site like this?
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

I know I would use it regularly.
Looking for dive buddies

Work is for the surface interval....
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

TCWestby wrote:I know I would use it regularly.
well, it seems that folks aren't too excited about a calendar like this, so i don't think i'll be developing nwdivecalendar.com any further.

maybe calvin can develop nwdc's calendar for club members to use.