Monterey/Carmel slug hunt

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
dphershman
Aquanaut

Monterey/Carmel slug hunt

Post by dphershman »

I went down to Monterey last weekend November 21) to do some diving with my dive buddy (and slug expert) Brenna Green where we caught a trip with the Silver Prince dive charter for a three tank trip to the Carmel area.

Water temps were the same as back home in Puget Sound but having air temps of 72 was really nice!

Here's a few photos from our slug hunt

Here's a Cockerell's Dorid. I used to see these frequently around Puget Sound, but they've become quite scarce the last couple of years.

I've never seen a Cockerell's Dorid as colorful as this one, Brenna says it may actually be a different species than the typical white ones.

This is a tiny crustacean that mimics a nudibranch... in this case a spanish shawl. Its quite small, just a fleck of color.

Many of the nudibranchs at Monterey are the same as our local ones, but here's one that is specific to California, a Hilton's Aeolid

The day after our dive we headed to Davenport Landing (Just north of Santa Cruz) to do some tide-pooling, where we found several tiny Hopkin's Rose Nudibranchs. This was a first for me.... they're an awesome color to see.

For more photos you can follow this link to my web gallery
https://hershman.smugmug.com/Underwater ... ember-2015

Dan
Dan Hershman :smt024
ScubaJess
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Re: Monterey/Carmel slug hunt

Post by ScubaJess »

Very cool! Thanks for sharing!
I just got back from diving in Cali, it was fantastic!!!
Live Long And Prosper!!!

Stay Warm underwater with the Weezle Extreme Plus undergarment! Please let me know if you would like to order one or have any questions. :luv: :partydance: :eric: :taco:
mpenders
Submariner

Post by mpenders »

Nice finds! I love diving Monterey, the colors can almost be overwhelming.

I came across a Hopkins Rose a couple years ago while diving the breakwater in Monterey, but my pics didn't turn out as nice as yours. We were both being rolled in the surf when I spotted it, and all I managed was a couple quick snaps (of sand and backscatter, mostly).
YellowEye
I've Got Gills

Post by YellowEye »

Nice pics Dan! :supz:
Great creatures!
Visit pnwdiving.com for viz reports, slack planning, galleries and more! Your fellow diver will appreciate any viz reports you can add!
dphershman
Aquanaut

Post by dphershman »

thanks everyone.... it was fun!

Dan
Dan Hershman :smt024
Scubie Doo
I've Got Gills

Post by Scubie Doo »

The hiltons nudibranch is awesome :) great stuff.