last weekend!!!

General banter about diving and why we love it.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Thank you for putting that link there. It's a long article but worth every page. I read the whole thing and learned a lot about IWR (In Water Recompression). It appears to be something no training agency will recommend but appears to have dramatic results for those who do it. Water conditions, dangerous marine life, the victim's mental and physical state, and other situational considerations must be taken into account, but it appears that in certain situations it is indicated. Also sounds like something that should be rehearsed and practiced and that going down an anchor line is optimum so you're able to "lock-in" your depth. Breathing air posed some concern with respect to additional nitrogen loading, but breathing 100% oxygen was also a concern for obvious reasons (especially at deeper depths). The article did discuss 50/50 heliox as a good option (if IWR was going to be attempted) but said this isn't a reality because that mix would have to be kept in a tank or two on the boat or on shore JUST for this purpose. I say that if I'm running a boat, there's no reason I couldn't keep a tank or two just for that purpose. I also know that this isn't something I would attempt in my current state of ignorance (again, I'm a VERY new diver)... it's certainly something only highly experienced divers should consider because of the water's uncontrolled conditions. As a paramedic though, I can certainly see the reasoning behind IWR.

The most critical factor seemed to be getting back to compression as soon as possible after violating your decomp requirements or after the initial symptoms of DCS begin. Ideally you can get to Virgina Mason, but that's not always possible or realistic. It's an interesting discussion that I think comes down to a personal choice.

So my theory of IWR is correct, but in practice it is much more complicated in the uncontrolled ocean environment - and sometimes is not an option as was shown in the case where the tiger sharks were the reason the dive was aborted rapidly... they got out of the water for a reason, and weren't about to get back in (although they traveled a ways and re-entered the water for IWR). I recommend the article as it appears to be an unbiased case-study, presenting both sides of the argument and is an interesting read.
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

I finally got the bill from Virginia Mason they want 4850 for the ride.. After my insurance it will cost me about 5-6 hundred.. Alot cheaper then I had thought, but then thank god I didnt have a major medical issue or an airlift.. :smt051
Who run barter town?
Sasquatch
Compulsive Diver

Post by Sasquatch »

=D>
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

DiverDown wrote:I finally got the bill from Virginia Mason they want 4850 for the ride.. After my insurance it will cost me about 5-6 hundred.. Alot cheaper then I had thought, but then thank god I didnt have a major medical issue or an airlift.. :smt051
This is with DAN insurance?
DiverDown
I've Got Gills

Post by DiverDown »

Nope this is with my PCP, I did not have DAN at the time..
Who run barter town?
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Cool, that ain't too bad! :smt038
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."