Greetings From A New Diver

New to the NW Dive Club Forum? Come in and introduce yourself, the water's fine!
BillZ
Aquanaut

Greetings From A New Diver

Post by BillZ »

Hello to all in the PNW dive community. I'm just getting back into diving after a 15 year hiatus and am having a great time exploring the chilly waters here in the PNW. For the last month I have been working on getting recertified, learning about all that has changed in the last several years and trying to get orientated with what the PNW has to offer. I have been primarily diving with the LDS that i got recertified through but am looking for opportunities to expand my horizons and find new people to dive with and places to dive.

Bill

PS, A Thank You to the local folks on Scubaboard who pointed me in this direction. My user name on that forum is Bill_PNW_Diver
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Re: Greetings From A New Diver

Post by Sounder »

Hi Bill! Welcome to our board! Glad you found us!

We're a group of VERY active divers and we've got everyone from the newly certified novice up to many "Yodas" who have forgotten more than most people will ever know.

Please jump in, plan a dive, and ask any questions you may have. Things have definitely changed in 15 years - we don't use j-valves anymore, voodoo gas is now called "nitrox," and horse-collars are reserved for Pez and Fishstiq's "private dives." :smt064

Looking forward to meeting you!! Tell us about what you're interested in, where you live, where you've dived and where you want to dive, etc! :partyman:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

Thanks Sounder.
My interests in diving have been evolving since I decided to get recertified with my girlfriend in preparation for a trip we're taking next month. Going through class and my dives reminded me why I loved the sport 15 years ago. My goals are to progress my skills to the point where I can do some of the more challenging/technical dives in the area. I also travel quite a bit for work so I plan on taking advantage of the free flights and dive in different locations around the world. On the training front, once I get comfortable the basics and hone my skills a bit I plan on taking a semi-private AOW course with one of the local instructors who I was put in touch with on Scubaboard.

I live in Issaquah just off from Tiger Mountain but am open to diving anywhere I can find someone to dive with. So far my only dives in the area have been at Alki and the Edmunds UWP (Cert dives) and the wall by point Defiance Zoo (Bandidos charter). As far as new dive areas I am just starting to get an understanding of the different dive sites in the area but am open to anything that fits my skills.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Welcome to the group Bill! I'm sure you will find that with the exception of SOUNDER most everyone here is really friendly.
sounder wrote:horse-collars are reserved for Pez and Fishstiq's "private dives."
FYI, I'm too young to know what a "horse collar" is. And I think the J valve, came before the K valve right?
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Pez7378 wrote:Welcome to the group Bill! I'm sure you will find that with the exception of SOUNDER most everyone here is really friendly.
sounder wrote:horse-collars are reserved for Pez and Fishstiq's "private dives."
FYI, I'm too young to know what a "horse collar" is. And I think the J valve, came before the K valve right?
Hey, just because I didn't want to play your little "horse collar" games with Joe doesn't mean I'm not friendly... I'm just not, you know, "friendly." Weirdo. :smt064
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

Sounder wrote: Weirdo. :smt064
:crybaby:

See?!?! We're friendly......... :crybaby:
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Welcom Bill!
Let me know if you are available any time on Tuesday's and I'll add you to a planned dive or we can plan one together.
I enjoy taking divers to Three Tree N. and showing them around...Always a good dive, Day or night! :supz:

Keith :smt035
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
BillZ
Aquanaut

Post by BillZ »

BASSMAN wrote:Welcom Bill!
Let me know if you are available any time on Tuesday's and I'll add you to a planned dive or we can plan one together.
I enjoy taking divers to Three Tree N. and showing them around...Always a good dive, Day or night! :supz:

Thanks for the invite Kieth,
I can usually scoot out of work at around three or sneak away for a few hours durring the daytime. Let me know when you have a dive planned and I'll see if I can work out my schedule.

Bill
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

BillZ wrote:
BASSMAN wrote:Welcom Bill!

Thanks for the invite Kieth,
I can usually scoot out of work at around three or sneak away for a few hours durring the daytime. Let me know when you have a dive planned and I'll see if I can work out my schedule.

Bill
Okay Bill. :salute:

Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz: