black fish with vertical yellow stripes

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
spatman
I've Got Gills

black fish with vertical yellow stripes

Post by spatman »

at les davis yesterday i saw a black fish that had three vertical yellow stripes. it was a bout 10" long, shaped like a young-ish rockfish, and was mostly black except for the stripes. the stripes started (i think) around the gills and went toward the tail. the thickest stripe at the head was about 3/4" and the thinnest of the three was about 1/2-1/3", with about 1/2" in between each. the stripe were a bright yellow, but slightly mottled in some spots.

any idea what this might be?
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Re: black fish with vertical yellow stripes

Post by Sounder »

That sounds like a Northern Tiger Pirana to me. I'd have to see a picture to be sure. ](*,) Was it "rounder" than a typical rockfish? :book:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Sounder wrote:That sounds like a Northern Tiger Pirana to me. I'd have to see a picture to be sure. ](*,) Was it "rounder" than a typical rockfish? :book:
yeah, and it had these big scary teeth! in fact, it lunged at me and i let go of my camera, which is why i don't have a pic of it!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

spatman wrote:
Sounder wrote:That sounds like a Northern Tiger Pirana to me. I'd have to see a picture to be sure. ](*,) Was it "rounder" than a typical rockfish? :book:
yeah, and it had these big scary teeth! in fact, it lunged at me and i let go of my camera, which is why i don't have a pic of it!
Aaah... why didn't you tell us about this in your post about your camera?! Duh! - I'd have sacrificed my camera too if a Northern Tiger Pirana was approaching me. They have a particular taste for underwater housings... I know, it's weird. :dontknow:
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Sounder wrote:Aaah... why didn't you tell us about this in your post about your camera?! Duh! - I'd have sacrificed my camera too if a Northern Tiger Pirana was approaching me. They have a particular taste for underwater housings... I know, it's weird. :dontknow:
maybe that's why i didn't find the camera when i surfaced to look for it... it got savagely attacked by a school of NTPs as it ascended...
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

spatman wrote:
Sounder wrote:Aaah... why didn't you tell us about this in your post about your camera?! Duh! - I'd have sacrificed my camera too if a Northern Tiger Pirana was approaching me. They have a particular taste for underwater housings... I know, it's weird. :dontknow:
maybe that's why i didn't find the camera when i surfaced to look for it... it got savagely attacked by a school of NTPs as it ascended...
THERE WAS A SCHOOL OF THEM?!?! :pale: :pale: It's a wonder you're still alive.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Sounder wrote:THERE WAS A SCHOOL OF THEM?!?! :pale: :pale: It's a wonder you're still alive.
must have been.. the viz was bad and i couldn't see the school, but there were little bits of plastic drifting down on me shortly after that. looked like the handiwork of several NTPs...
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Only at NWDiveClub... :prayer: I swear, the "creativity" and general manic weirdness in this place keeps me off the streets and scratching my head sometimes... Where's the pirate thread hi-jack icon?!? :fish:
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Tom Nic wrote:Where's the pirate thread hi-jack icon?!? :fish:

Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Notice yet that nobody has actually addressed your question?? :evil4:
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

Sounder wrote:Notice yet that nobody has actually addressed your question?? :evil4:
they're all hiding under their desks in fear of the NTPs...
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

spatman wrote:at les davis yesterday i saw a black fish that had three vertical yellow stripes. it was a bout 10" long, shaped like a young-ish rockfish, and was mostly black except for the stripes. the stripes started (i think) around the gills and went toward the tail. the thickest stripe at the head was about 3/4" and the thinnest of the three was about 1/2-1/3", with about 1/2" in between each. the stripe were a bright yellow, but slightly mottled in some spots.

any idea what this might be?
A BLACK Rockfish with BRIGHT YELLOW stripes?

I really, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY doubt it because you were at Les Davis, AND your description of the stripes isn't the same, but might this possibly be what you saw?

http://hmsc.oregonstate.edu/projects/ms ... kfish.html

http://www.afsc.noaa.gov/groundfish/Roc ... ckfish.htm

It would be unbelieveably cool if China Rockfish showed up down here in the Sound.....maybe if we wish hard enough....

- John

PS - What the Hell is an "NTP"?
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

It would be super cool, and weird, to see a China. John - do you think the 10" long could help rule it in/out?

NTP is for Northern Tiger Pirana (they're quite rare)... that was my guess as to what this mystery fish was. :dontknow:
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

John Rawlings wrote:?
A BLACK Rockfish with BRIGHT YELLOW stripes?

I really, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY doubt it because you were at Les Davis, AND your description of the stripes isn't the same, but might this possibly be what you saw?

http://www.afsc.noaa.gov/groundfish/Roc ... ckfish.htm

It would be unbelieveably cool if China Rockfish showed up down here in the Sound.....maybe if we wish hard enough....

- John

PS - What the Hell is an "NTP"?[/quote]

hi john

i'm pretty sure it wasn't a China Rockfish. it didn't have the horizontal strip down its side. i'm also not 100% sure it was a rockfish. it was kinda shaped liked one, though.
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Copper's often get fairly dark and will have 2 bright slashy yellowish stripes up by the gills. Imagine this one with a darker rear...

China Rockfish like surge. They have never been known to be in Puget Sound unfortunately, other than the freak specimen. Closest place I've seen one (just one) is the along San Juan Island in Haro Strait. Othewise they are mostly Salt Creek/Sekiu and west.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.
spatman
I've Got Gills

Post by spatman »

CaptnJack wrote:Copper's often get fairly dark and will have 2 bright slashy yellowish stripes up by the gills. Imagine this one with a darker rear...
it's possible it might have been a young copper. it was very dark all over except for the stripes, not just the rear.
narcosis Junky
Aquaphile

Post by narcosis Junky »

Have a nother beer before you go down. :occasion5: It will help :laughing3:
Want to go dive in Oregon. I can help. Biginner or experienced it doesn't matter.
want to do some underwater photography I will help if I can. I'm a dive Junky. Cold or hot.
I spear fish, night dive, deep dive. I do it all. Contact me.
http://flickr.com/photos/8680102@N04/