Camano Is. Dives?

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Re: Camano Is. Dives?

Post by Sounder »

Pez7378 wrote::smt119 #-o ](*,)
Chris - are you as confused as I am? :dontknow:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Seth hasn't posted since December 26th, 2007.

I know that he and his wife were expecting a new baby in the early part of this year ... perhaps he has higher priorities right now than posting on the board.

I hope they're doing well ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Confused, but not surprised.... :salute:
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

We dove Onomac Point this Sunday. From boat. Top twenty feet in what seemed to be red tide, lousy vis, opened up below. It looks like it could be done from the beach, but I don't know about public access to it. Nobody was beachcombing, but then again it rained, snowed and was sunny, all in fast succession..
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

OHHHHH now I get it Pez... He went back into a dead Post and posted on it... Ha Ha , the jokes on me.. Sorry Seth I thought you were back on the board again...
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

:laughing3: Chris, you CRACK me up.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

:laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3:
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Dude, I feel sooooooooooo stupid right now LOL....! I am going to dye my hair Blonde :smt038
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

It took me a while to figure out what was goin on here but I finally figued it out!

:laughing3: =D>

Don't be too hard on yourself H20.

We'll just never let you forget it. I just hope I get a chance to ask you about it at a club dive! :evil4: :smt064
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
4ster
Dive-aholic

Post by 4ster »

I'm new here, and have not set up an avatar yet. Note to self...

I used to live within sight of the Onamac reef, and have dived it three times I think. It is not dived very often, I would see a few dive boats a year on the site. Shore access is not an option unless you know someone in the Onamac Point community, but they probably have covenants about inviting guests. It is a shame, the point would make a great park.

For some reason I also remember the surface viz to be terrible there, clearing up on the reef.

Funny story: After diving Onamac once I was fueling my boat at the Stanwood exit of I-5 and this 19-something walks up and asks "Are you a Diver?". We talk a bit and then he tells me a whopper: When he was a boy scout his scoutmaster took a few scouts diving off Camano State Park. They dove a wall there, and in the wall was a cave that went quite a ways up to an air pocket!

I hate to admit I actually spent time looking for the wall with my depth sounder. Who knows, maybe there is something there.

There is supposed to be a small wall a mile or so South of the park I have yet to dive. Kind of a mini Possession Point Fingers.

Steve
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Sounds like it's worth exploring. You said south of the park?
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Sheahan, you have that explorer spirit! You need a boat or a scoot or something for sure. Let us know when you find a dive worth repeating, or if you need a buddy for one of these, hit me up.
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

I defiantly will let you know! I am looking for some form of transportation for the water. However, I am getting married in August so I am not allowed to spend any money unless it’s for the wedding. So I am trying to find a free boat……even a canoe on craigslist. (Ok maybe a little bigger then a canoe) But anything I can rig up to get out to other areas. My cousin said I could use his 12’ aluminum fishing boat, but it’s too tippy.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Kayak.... :bounce:
4ster
Dive-aholic

Post by 4ster »

I just looked at a chart, it is a little over 5 nm south of Camano State park, on the west side of the island and a bit north of Camano Head. It is a little point called Pebble Beach. It is on my "to do" list. Want to go?
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

That’s a big stretch then “just south of the state park”. Maybe they were telling you fish stories, however I remember my dad saying they had a scuba class when he was in the scouts. So maybe there is some merit too it. Did you look online at charts? I looked at it from google earth and it seems like the beach is accessible. How far out are the “rocks”?
4ster
Dive-aholic

Post by 4ster »

I was unclear, I was describing 2 different sites, hence the confusion. The cave story was about diving off Camano State Park. The mini wall is a different dive on Camano. It does not have shore access to my knowledge, it looks like the uplands are privately owned. The wall is immediately off the beach.

I have not dived the wall off Pebble Beach but it is probably a cemented conglomerate like the Possession Point Fingers or Day Island Wall.

I have CD copies of both NOAA Charts and USGS quads and I used them to "update" my memory of where the little wall is located.
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Ok I got it now. I need to pick up one of these chart programs if they show things like that. I would love to try diving these sites. However I need to read up on judging currents, tides, and navigation. Still a noobie.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

4ster wrote: The cave story was about diving off Camano State Park.
This sounds like a job for NWUE! :supz: How do you say that? is it N-W-U-E or Nawoowee? :dontknow:
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Kayak....
lET ME KNOW IF YOU FIND A FREE ONE!
TCWestby
Submariner

Post by TCWestby »

Dude,

You just tell her that you bought the boat as a wedding gift for her....

and a couple dozen of your closest buddies...
Looking for dive buddies

Work is for the surface interval....
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

You try it first and let me know how it worked!
4ster
Dive-aholic

Post by 4ster »

I had the boat out Sunday and decided to check out the Camano sites again.

"The Wall" at Pebble Beach - Now I am not sure this is actually a wall. The charts indicate a very steep drop off but I could not confirm that with my depth sounder. I have seen a post on a local board a few years back about a wall dive on Camano, I had assumed this was the spot based on several charts. It may not be. Anyone know if there is a wall dive on Camano?

"The Cave" at Camano Island State Park - Same thing, I could not find anything that looked like a wall with the depth sounder. I made a couple of passes immediately south of the boat launch. There were a couple of divers waist deep in the water. It looked like they were waiting for the current to slacken - it was really moving south at the time.

There is some interesting subsurface topography off of Mabana that may be worth checking out on a dive.

As mentioned elsewhere the marker bouys for the Department of Fish and Wildlife "Fish Havens" are not being maintained. There were no markers over either the ones off Gedney or Onamac Point.
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Thanks for the update! I will be trying out some camano island shore dives soon, next weekend or the one after. I will post a report...If i find anything.

Sheahan
CaptnJack
I've Got Gills

Post by CaptnJack »

Charts online (to at least be talking about the same places :)
http://ocsdata.ncd.noaa.gov/OnLineViewe ... rTable.htm

If you zoom in and do a screen capture you can then paste the capture to imagine software, add a circle or arrow pointing to the place you're talking about and email it to you buddies. If you post the graphic to photobucket or flickr you can also share it here. That's what I do.
Sounder wrote:Under normal circumstances, I would never tell another man how to shave his balls... but this device should not be kept secret.