Mukilteo Diving Wednesday

Organize buddy teams, plan shore and boat dives, organize charters... make it happen here!
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Mukilteo Diving Wednesday

Post by Nwbrewer »

Anybody want to dive the Muk Wednesday afternoon?

We're meeting up about 2:30 to make the slack and currents might be a little weird, but should be manageable, anybody interested is welcome to tag along, new divers, experienced divers, whoever....

Jake
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Re: Mukilteo Diving Wednesday

Post by sheahanmcculla »

If you have google earth, check out north of the t dock, there is parking and a trail to the beach, maybe a new dive site????
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Sheahan, there's a parking lot and a trail there alright, and it's a great way to dive the refueling pier (the north end anyway). I got to do it once, but they have closed the access to that end as part of the construction. I kind of doubt we're ever gonna get back up there, but maybe after all the ferry dock and train station construction is finished we'll get access again.
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

I have heard of that from my buddy, but I am talking even more towards the naval station. by the traffic light. Check it out and tell me what you think. you can see it on mapquest as well.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Use just google maps or http://www.scriptkiddie.org/bath/ and try to figure out what the lat/long is. I looked but didn't see anything too interesting that looked like you could get to it.

Jake
smike
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by smike »

I'm up to a dive Wednesday - tell me what time, I'm available 2:00 - 8:00 PM.

The steel 120 is pumped up to 3400 lbs! Woohoo! \:D/

S'Mike
Behold, the King reigns! You are his publicity agents. Therefore advertise, advertise, advertise, the King and his kingdom.
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

thats the old Haunted beach... its been closed for years due to divers Diving and never coming out.. Dont dive there is Haunted ..!!!!!
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Maybe it's from the killer sea lions and dolphins from the navy?
Attachments
dolph3.jpg
dolph3.jpg (26.23 KiB) Viewed 2562 times
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Sharks with fricken' lazer beams!!!!
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

I think I'll take my chances anyways and check it out.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Do you have the location? I'm still not sure where you're talking about.
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Im not sure the best way to post it, but here is a link of google maps of the area in question.

http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&hl=en&i ... 30127&z=15
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

It's name is Howarth Park.
Pez7378
I've Got Gills

Post by Pez7378 »

I expect thats a looooonnggg flat muddy bottom. See if you can find Lamonts Bathymetry program and check it out.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Pez7378 wrote:I expect thats a looooonnggg flat muddy bottom. See if you can find Lamonts Bathymetry program and check it out.
How deep do you think it looks (I can't tell on my work computer)? Could be GREAT crabbing grounds!!
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

Judging by lamont's bathometry data, diving in similar areas, I'm gonna say a looonggg flat sandy bottom. It also looks like a Loooonnggg walk.

That being said if you're willing to wait a week or two I'll do the dive with you, it won't be the first time I've wasted a tank of gas at 10fsw.....
Rockfish
Dive-aholic

Post by Rockfish »

Howarth Park is situated on a high bluff probably 50-100 feet above the shoreline. It is a long way to carry scuba gear for a dive in very shallow water. Lots of eel grass and sand but not much to see. Just my $0.02.

Mike
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Thanks for the tip I didn't realize I needed to rapel down just to dive. Maybe I'll reconsider, I didn't know it was a cliff.
John Rawlings
I've Got Gills

Post by John Rawlings »

There used to be a locally/privately created book out called "Take 5 and Dive". Its title was play on words centered around Interstate 5 and all of the possible shore dive sites that could be accessed from it.

I read in there that you could dive off Howart Park in Everett, and since it was close to my home I decided to give it a shot.

It's a LONG hike from the parking lot to the top of the bluff.

It's a LONG walk down the multiple level flight of stairs down to the beach.

You swim a LONG way underwater until you see ANYTHING other than sand/mud, and even then it will be just old abandoned crab pots.

It's an INCREDIBLY LONG hump back UP the stairs, followed by a LONG hump uphill to the parking lot.

I vowed that I would never do it again....but then, I'm an old cantankerous bastard with arthritis....maybe some of you young pups might find something that I didn't!

- John
“Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.”

http://www.advanceddivermagazine.com
http://johnrawlings.smugmug.com/
smike
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by smike »

It is a long walk. There is a lower parking lot that is a LOT closer than the one up the hill, and there is plenty of parking. Still a long huff up those stairs, although there is a landing at 3 places along the way to rest.

After you make your way up (from the beach), there is only a couple dozen steps down to the parking area, and a 1 block walk.

S'mike
Behold, the King reigns! You are his publicity agents. Therefore advertise, advertise, advertise, the King and his kingdom.
Nwbrewer
I've Got Gills

Post by Nwbrewer »

On second thought Sheahan, count me out for this one...... :smt119
jeff98208
Aquanaut

Post by jeff98208 »

I"LL TEMPERED sharks with feakin' laser beams at that \:D/
TAKE only pictures, KILL only time, LEAVE only bubbles!
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

It's a LONG hike from the parking lot to the top of the bluff.

It's a LONG walk down the multiple level flight of stairs down to the beach.

You swim a LONG way underwater until you see ANYTHING other than sand/mud, and even then it will be just old abandoned crab pots.

It's an INCREDIBLY LONG hump back UP the stairs, followed by a LONG hump uphill to the parking lot

Is that ever true!
It was exactly as others said... sandy and a few crab pots. It was a long walk, but I might try it again. Me a Smike dove to the North West. Next time I would like to do a little more to the south. It was about a 100 yards of 10 feet deep water, then it dropped fast to ??? Here are the stairs and the beach and a few underwater pics.
The start
The start
After the man bridge over the tracks
After the man bridge over the tracks
1 of 2 lost crab pots
1 of 2 lost crab pots
smike
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by smike »

We entered the beach to the right after the "LONG WALK" - glad to get in the water after sweating in the dry suits - boy is my HP120 heavy! We sighted a course directly to hat island (about 270 deg). Swam out to 6-7ft of water, where we lost clear vis to the bottom, and dropped down. After I stopped leading us in circles, Sheahan and I made our way to the drop off - probably a 45 degree wall. The 10 foot area goes out quite a ways, first gravel then sand. The wall is sand too.

The other crab trap we saw was a ring, and it had 8 - 10 plumrose on it, each about 3-4" diameter. Rather large things to be growing on this metal ring.

We saw a large flounder on the wall, and a few dungees. A couple of seals got within 20-30 feet of us when we hit the 10' on the way out. Quite a few small snails.

@ 10', there was a cline of some sorts, thermocline on the wall definitely, but possible halocline too. The current in the shallows was to the north, but on the wall it was definitely south.

Sheahan - thanks for the dive man, it was a huff and a puff, but I enjoyed it.

S'Mike
H20doctor
I've Got Gills

Post by H20doctor »

Hey Jake, where is the Dive report from Wed...? SLACKER
NWDC Rule #2 Pictures Or it didn't Happen