Anyone Have a Full Face Mask?

Need advice on recreational gear configurations? Look no further than this equipment forum.
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Anyone Have a Full Face Mask?

Post by Tangfish »

I'm starting to think that having a Full Face Mask would be terrific with the CCR, since it could be lifesaving. Does anyone here dive a FFM? Any recommendations? Mel?
divernick
Aquaphile

Re: Anyone Have a Full Face Mask?

Post by divernick »

I think Narcosis_junky does, if he doesn't see this post, you might PM him.
Joshua Smith
I've Got Gills

Post by Joshua Smith »

Start HERE, C.
Maritime Documentation Society

"To venture into the terrible loneliness, one must have something greater than greed. Love. One needs love for life, for intrigue, for mystery."
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

I used to do bridge inspections and had to use an AGA. There are definitely pros and cons. Some not so obvious.

Pros:
Equalizing is easier than you can imagine because your nose is in the breathing loop rather than sealed in a pneumatic dead-end. Of course there's a nose-block you can use when needed, but I never did. No jaw fatigue. Can't be kicked off your face (5-way strap). On OC there is NO fogging because dry breathing gas is directed against the glass. Not sure how well the no-fog thing will be with moist CCR gas. No dry mouth because you can swallow, close your lips, breath through your nose. Comfortable.

Cons:
You'll get a neck ache from the buoyancy unless you bolt weights onto the mask to offset it's Goodyear blimp-like volume. That was the part I hated most. Also, forget being able to look down at anything. With an AGA on I couldn't see my suit inflator, my harness buckle, weight belt... all that's going to be by feel only. Outward visibility is fine. You just can't look down.

If I were diving CCR I'd consider going back to a FFM, but I'd never use one on OC again unless it was needed for coms.

-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

tangfish wrote:I'm starting to think that having a Full Face Mask would be terrific with the CCR, since it could be lifesaving. Does anyone here dive a FFM? Any recommendations? Mel?
KM48 - Kirby Morgan with the NATO pod. Your other alternative is a Drager Panorama FFM, and you would want to swap out your DSV for a Golem Gear Vario with the P-Port Adapter.

Most FFMs are designed to operate under positive pressure. On OC, this means that you "leak" air around the mask, and it keeps you from fogging up. On a CCR, that's a terrific waste of gas, and you won't last long.

If you get one that seals completely, you've got a tremendous amount of "dead space" in the mask that allow dangerous levels of CO2 to build up in the mask. Again, OC, this isn't an issue. CCR, it is, as you want all the gas to go through the scrubber loop.

Together, that means you need to minimize dead space. The two masks above are designed to do that and block off the oral/nasal space to minimize dead space. Generally, you're still going to keep a mouthpiece in your mouth while diving one of these.

Also consider your bailout options - getting off the loop and onto OC with a FFM generally involves removing the entire mask, putting an OC reg in, and either flying blind or putting a backup mask on. The Kirby Morgan has a very cool "pod" that pops off, you shove an OC reg in, and your eyes / rest of your face stay dry and protected.

One alternative, Calvin, that you might consider, is just a "head strap" for the mouthpiece, if you're really worried about O2 toxing.

Just what kind of dives are you doing that your O2 tox worries are getting the better of you?
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...
Tangfish
NWDC Mascot
NWDC Mascot

Post by Tangfish »

Wow, that's a lot of good info. One more thing I'd like to know from those of you who've dived FFMs is whether or not it'll be better or worse for looking through the viewfinder of my camera housing. Is there much more distance between your eyes and the outside of the mask, or is it about the same with the models mentioned here?

Also, I got an email from Mel, telling me that there's one FFM in specific that works really well with the Meg. I'm going to follow up with her and I'll let you guys know what I find out.
Curt McNamee
Dive-aholic

Post by Curt McNamee »

tangfish wrote:I'm starting to think that having a Full Face Mask would be terrific with the CCR, since it could be lifesaving. Does anyone here dive a FFM? Any recommendations? Mel?
I have a hardly used Kirby Morgan M-48 Supermask with underwater com and 2nd stage that I will sell. Mel and I both bought them new but Mel could never get hers to fit her face so they just sat in a box waiting for someone to need them. Mel sold hers, no problem, but I just never got around to it, so there you go.
Curt McNamee
rEvo & KISS Classic Diver
http://www.silentscuba.com
narcosis Junky
Aquaphile

Post by narcosis Junky »

My two cents, I have the space neptune by ocean reef. I love it. I use it a lot. fogging is not an issue the way it runs. I have the quick disconnect hose. Very usefull when you have multiple stage bottles or spare air. I have a hose on each bottle so if I have to change bottles, I just disconnect one and connect the other. My hoses are color coated. The space neptune doesn't have a lot of air trapped in it, it is very well contoured to the face. So no neck issues. I use mine with my Nikon/Ikelite housing it works good. The com system is optional. And depending on your hearing you have the choice of left or right. I have bad hearing on the left. You can use it over a hood, under a hood what ever works for you. The nose pieces are very adjustable. To equalize, all you have to do is push on your forhead. It is a great system. The visibility with the face mask is a 100% better than with a standard mask. Good luck on your choice. hope this helps. got questions just e-mail me.
yann portrait.jpg
Want to go dive in Oregon. I can help. Biginner or experienced it doesn't matter.
want to do some underwater photography I will help if I can. I'm a dive Junky. Cold or hot.
I spear fish, night dive, deep dive. I do it all. Contact me.
http://flickr.com/photos/8680102@N04/