red brotula

Fish & Invertebrate sightings and descriptions, hosted by resident NWDC ID expert Janna Nichols (nwscubamom).
dphershman
Aquanaut

red brotula

Post by dphershman »

we found a Red brotula Brosmophycis marginata, probably the most shy fish in the world sitting out in the open on a rockpile last night at Cove 2. :smt119

Not only was it out, but it seemed to be posing for its photograph. After a couple of minutes it seemed to wake up and it wriggled underneath the rocks again.
DSC_6136.jpg
DSC_6139.jpg
Dan
http://www.hershmanphoto.com
Dan Hershman :smt024
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Re: red brotula

Post by cardiver »

Great find! Definitely my favorite fish in the sound. :supz:
-Ron T.
"When I'm 80 I'll take up real diving, which is done in a pub..." Ray Ives.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
https://www.facebook.com/RETOPPPHOTOGRAPHY
boydski
Submariner

Post by boydski »

Wow Dan, those are incredible photos. All of the Red brotula that I have ever seen have been very "unsociable" and have hidden in a crack. Excellent job!
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

I've only seen one out in the open once and it was on my first dive with an uw camera. I usually see one at Les way back in a pipe just starring out at me......
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Wow I never knew we had those. I've never seen one in a book even. A new one for me to try and find.
Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

great shots. Never seen one :(
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Here's the one I saw at Les Davis. My first uw pics on May 1st, 2004.
Man, does time fly! :-({|=
Attachments
red.jpg
red2.JPG
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Wow what luck Dan! I've never seen one except in pictures. :crybaby:
Biodiversity_Guy
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by Biodiversity_Guy »

Amazing pictures and what a fun memory! Thank you for sharing!
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

its easy to do
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES. NOT REALLY GOOD FOR
ANYTHING, BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE
STAIRS.
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

its easy to do
Maverick

Diving. . . is an active physical form of meditation. It is so silent- You're like a thought.

STAIRS.
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

no seriously its real easy to hit the submit twice :evil4:
Maverick

STAIRS.
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

is this considered hi-jacking :dontknow:
Maverick

STAIRS.
cardiver
I've Got Gills

Post by cardiver »

Scubagirl45 wrote:
cardiver wrote:Here's the one I saw at Les Davis. My first uw pics on May 1st, 2004.
Man, does time fly! :-({|=
Wow Ron............it's interesting to see your first photos in comparison to your photos now! You've come a long way!
Thanks, Loretta! I think a lot of it has to do with the equipment...........
-Ron T.
253-227-0856
My Dive Pics...
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Dan, those are amazing pictures. The only time I've ever seen one out in the open was at Les Davis a few years back. Never managed to get a decent shot of one though ... they're usually too shy.

Ron, don't sell yourself short ... good underwater photos have more to do with good diving skills than they do with equipment. Your photography skills say a lot about how you've improved as a diver.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

[quote= good underwater photos have more to do with good diving skills than they do with equipment. Your photography skills say a lot about how you've improved as a diver.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)[/quote]

What are you saying Bob? I think it has to do more with composition than diving skills. I have seen UW photos taken by divers with their knees planted in the silt and a one hand flailing to stay still. they had beautiful photos because they understood composition. Its important to understand what is pleasant for the human eye to look at, and thats what makes a nice photo. . . not the level of your diving skills. Sure if you can stay NB and in trim the photo will be easier to shoot but if you don't understand what to include in the photo your shot won't give that impression WOW. that's the shot everyone is hoping for, and you don't need to be trim to get it.
Maverick

STAIRS.
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Maverick wrote:
What are you saying Bob? I think it has to do more with composition than diving skills. I have seen UW photos taken by divers with their knees planted in the silt and a one hand flailing to stay still. they had beautiful photos because they understood composition. Its important to understand what is pleasant for the human eye to look at, and thats what makes a nice photo. . . not the level of your diving skills. Sure if you can stay NB and in trim the photo will be easier to shoot but if you don't understand what to include in the photo your shot won't give that impression WOW. that's the shot everyone is hoping for, and you don't need to be trim to get it.
BJ, you're right that composition has everything to do with the picture ... but the fact is that people who can't maintain a good position usually have difficulty framing the shot they want. Yes, you can plant your knees on the bottom ... but around here that usually kicks up silt that produces backscatter. Yes, you can grab ahold of something to steady yourself (and lots of people do, and if it's done properly without killing something there's nothing wrong with that), but that means you only have one hand to manipulate your camera. Good diving skills give you a lot more options for composing the picture you want. And that often makes the difference between a mediocre shot and a great one.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
nwscubamom
I've Got Gills

Post by nwscubamom »

Amazing shots!! What a treat for you to have seen!

Make sure you do a nice long entry in your dive log about this one!

- Janna :)
Janna Nichols
My underwater photo galleries
REEF Citizen Science Program Manager
Seen any cool critters lately?
><((((°>
-----------------------------
Maverick
I've Got Gills

Post by Maverick »

Grateful Diver wrote:
Maverick wrote:
BJ, you're right that composition has everything to do with the picture ... but the fact is that people who can't maintain a good position usually have difficulty framing the shot they want. Yes, you can plant your knees on the bottom ... but around here that usually kicks up silt that produces backscatter. Yes, you can grab ahold of something to steady yourself (and lots of people do, and if it's done properly without killing something there's nothing wrong with that), but that means you only have one hand to manipulate your camera. Good diving skills give you a lot more options for composing the picture you want. And that often makes the difference between a mediocre shot and a great one.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
true true :salute:
Maverick

STAIRS.
Tom Nic
I've Got Gills

Post by Tom Nic »

Great pictures! What a find! And to have it "hang out" for a bit... sweet! \:D/
More Pics Than You Have Time To Look AT
"Anyone who thinks this place is over moderated is bat-crazy anarchist." -Ben, Airsix
"Warning: No dive masters are going to be there, Just a bunch of old fat guys taking pictures of fish." -Bassman