yet more from Redondo

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

yet more from Redondo

Post by Grateful Diver »

Valerie and I did a night dive at Redondo last night. And although no lumpies were spotted, we did find a few interesting things ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Come visit me at http://www.nwgratefuldiver.com/
Jenbowes
Amphibian

Re: yet more from Redondo

Post by Jenbowes »

Awesome photos!

What's the third picture of, the one on the net?
:partyman: This is my favorite smiley!!

CAKE IS THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

That's a stubby squid (in it's "leave me alone" colors) sitting on the remains of an old burlap bag ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Threats and ultimatums are never the best answer. Public humiliation via Photoshop is always better - airsix

Jan K
I've Got Gills

Post by Jan K »

Bob, the G10 in your hands rocks! :smt038
http://JanKocian.smugmug.com

I take photos because I like it, not because I'm good at it. :) by Unknown
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

The stuby is awesome! That's quite the brooding green stink-eye he's giving you. I love it. You captured a really neat composition.
-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
LCF
I've Got Gills

Post by LCF »

Bob, I think you are coming to terms with this camera!

I'm also starting to think that I like the tiny octopus (red or baby GPOs, doesn't matter) more than the huge ones. The tiny ones are so funny, sticking their eyes out of their hiding places to see what you are, and then ducking back in to hide. They're irresistably cute.
"Sometimes, when your world is going sideways, the second best thing to everything working out right, is knowing you are loved..." ljjames
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Awsome pictures! I love the stubby on the net.
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Nice going! I really like the golden nudie. I have never seen one so transparent.
Gdog
NWDC Moderator
NWDC Moderator

Post by Gdog »

Very nice! Thanks for sharing!
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Bob, your pictures remind me of the IMAX Deep Sea 3-D, they are almost better than being there. I said, Almost!
:thumb3d:
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Had an interesting dive tonight ...

Vis wasn't all that great ... lots of runoff in the Sound after the past two days of nasty weather.

Ran into Georgia and Valerie gearing up as I was leaving ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Post by sheahanmcculla »

Great pictures again Bob! Redondo seems to have never ending photo ops. How far away is it for us northenders?
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

sheahanmcculla wrote:Great pictures again Bob! Redondo seems to have never ending photo ops. How far away is it for us northenders?
It's in Des Moines ... right on the border of Federal Way. From Mukilteo it's a hellashious drive on a week-night ... probably 2 hours through traffic. On a Saturday or Sunday, less than an hour. For me, I live here. Takes me five minutes to get to the place from home.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Jenbowes
Amphibian

Post by Jenbowes »

Bob, The Sealife Whisperer. It's like they're POSED for him - it's crazy!

I imagine him going down and talking to the creatures to set up the portrait shoot.

"Now, Octy...do you mind if I call you Octy? Good. Okay, Octy, I want you to come out of the bottle as though you're pondering the weight of the world...or the ocean, the weight of the ocean on your tentacles. Really feel what that means for you...for your whole family. I want to see a pensive and longing look in your slitty eye. Can you do that for me? Great. Okay, let's try it!"

Beautiful work, as usual.

BTW, what's the creature in the second picture?
:partyman: This is my favorite smiley!!

CAKE IS THE ONLY THING THAT MATTERS
Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

The critter in the second shot is a rock sole and an AWESOME shot I might add. Great angle and depth of field! You must talk to them to get those kinds of shots!

I want a G10! :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:
BASSMAN
I've Got Gills

Post by BASSMAN »

Dusty2 wrote:The critter in the second shot is a rock sole and an AWESOME shot I might add. Great angle and depth of field! You must talk to them to get those kinds of shots!

I want a G10! :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:

:idea: Hey! maybe if you flood your camera, you can get a G-10!

"Hony? I know I'm getting a new dry suit but, what I really need is a ..." :eek: What the...? :angry: :arsespank: :help: :zots:
:tomatoe: :timeout: :slap: :pale: #-o :stick: at least that's how it would go down at my house.

Is it just me or do we have allot of violent smilies here?

Great Pictures, Bob! =D>
Hi, my name is Keith, and I'm a Dive Addict! :supz:
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Tonight's series from Redondo ... two tiny octos and one more lumpsucker.

... Bob (Grateful ... )

Kalatin
Dive-aholic

Post by Kalatin »

Bob, that last PSL shot is wonderful. It has that "what?" look about it, like you just caught it in some slightly illegal act. It made me laugh out loud when I saw it.
"Another marathon, rush hour trek to foolishly compress myself and risk bodily harm and/or death to look at fishies!!! I love it!" - Casey B.
"The circle of life is a bitch when you're hungry." - Sockmonkey
airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

Wow Bob! Your shots are getting better with every dive! And they were great to start with!
-Ben
"The place looked like a washing machine full of Josh's carharts. I was not into it." --Sockmonkey
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

airsix wrote:Wow Bob! Your shots are getting better with every dive! And they were great to start with!
-Ben
Part of the reason I've been down there so much lately is that I'm starting to get the stobes figured out. It's not easy gauging the picture from what appears on the LCD ...so I have to download 'em on the computer, decide what I like and don't like, and go play with settings.

Tonight I decided to try moving the strobes back a bit. The trade-off is more backscatter, but also more "forefront" lighting. I think for close-in shots it works for me ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Took one of my former students down to the bottle field this evening. She was diving air, so we didn't stay long. Found a lumpie almost right away ... and a colorful one at that. Since vis was so poor and we were a bit "rushed", I only snapped off a couple quick shots (didn't realize the color in the poor vis or I'd have stayed longer).

Also found a couple stubbies and a nice janolus on the way back. Vis above 40 feet was basically opaque.

Anyway ... pics ...

Oh ... and I forgot to post a pic from Sunrise on Saturday ... so I'll just glom it on the end of this post.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Dusty2
I've Got Gills

Post by Dusty2 »

Super cool on the wolfies, Best I've seen. How did you get that much depth of field???
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

Dusty2 wrote:Super cool on the wolfies, Best I've seen. How did you get that much depth of field???
Shutter speed at 1/100th, F-stop at 7.0, dual strobes cranked all the way up.

I finally think I figured out why my strobes were having intermittent firing issues ... and created a "fix". It's temporary, but one of my co-workers has agreed to machine a part that will provide a more permanent solution. So now that I got that done, I upgraded my smaller strobe and am shooting with two YS-110a's.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

airsix
I've Got Gills

Post by airsix »

airsix wrote:Wow Bob! Your shots are getting better with every dive! And they were great to start with!
-Ben
What he said. :wink:

-Ben
Grateful Diver
I've Got Gills

Post by Grateful Diver »

I went back tonight ... just me, the camera, and AL. Vis was even worse than last night ... zero to 2 feet down to about 20 fsw, then it opened up to 3 to 5 feet down to about 50 ... and all the way to maybe 6 to 8 feet at the bottle field. It was almost claustrophobic. But I spent some time poking around where I had seen that little orange/pink critter last night ... and I think I found the same one again. Found three stubbies too ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)