Queens Bath Cave Dive

Tell us your tale of coming nose-to-nose with a 6 gill [--this big--], or about your vacation to turquoise warm waters. Share your adventures here!
Scuba Scott
Aquaphile

Queens Bath Cave Dive

Post by Scuba Scott »

Not much of a dive being less than ten feet deep in water depth, but I had always wanted to gear up and explore the fresh water filled Lava Tube named Queens Bath. This is a easy entry and you can drive right up to it with a SUV or 4WD. I discovered it last year and was not prepared to explore the depth of the tube. You can snorkel into the cave about 80 feet before the tube drops below water level. The fresh water springs keep this lava tube clean and fresh. Craw Fish were spotted along the walls beck in the darkest parts of the cave. I dove the tube to the west and followed it back about 50 + feet beyond snorkel limits. The tube is about the size of a school bus in width and height. It was exciting to explore the depth of the tube. This does require a tank to reach the end of the tube where the ocean surf has filled in any possible salt water exit. Looking back from the dark end of the tube the light rays shine in from sky windows formed from the ceiling openings. This was a great way to end my dive trip and wash the salt from my gear. There is chamber to the left of the entry that we explored and we also snorkeled inland prior to getting the air tank out of the car. My friend Rick and I were chilled after exploring the cool waters without exposure suits on. The deep tube going back towards the highway will have to wait for another trip.
Attachments
IMG_2678.JPG
Life can be short and dives even shorter. Time off work will put it all in perspective.

http://www.waterproofdecks.blogspot.com
Diver Doug
Aquaphile

Re: Queens Bath Cave Dive

Post by Diver Doug »

Scott,
Looks like an interesting little cave. I s that over behind the airport? I ended up diving 2 step, write up to come later.
Again, a pleasure to dive with you and Rick.
Doug
If only I had Gills
Scuba Scott
Aquaphile

Post by Scuba Scott »

Diver Doug,

I never made it to Two Step this past week. We snorkeled at Caption Cook's Monument. Found the elusive Black Butterfly Fish. Interesting that this is the only area in the world you can find them. Here are some more pictures of the Queen's Bath.

Will be back home on Monday.
Attachments
IMG_1507.JPG
Hawaii 2009 Friday 016.JPG
Hawaii 2009 Friday 015.JPG
Life can be short and dives even shorter. Time off work will put it all in perspective.

http://www.waterproofdecks.blogspot.com
Wallomill
Hi, I'm New To NWDC!

Post by Wallomill »

Where is this located??
Sockmonkey
I've Got Gills

Post by Sockmonkey »

Between mile marker 83 and 82 of Queen Kaahumanu Highway on Hawaii Island.

-Eric
"I used to do this for fun, but now, I do it for nothing" -Not Joshua Smith

:eric: Hawaiian Seamonkey Blog