Kegerators ???

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
sheahanmcculla
I've Got Gills

Kegerators ???

Post by sheahanmcculla »

I know there are a few of you that have one. What does it take and is it worth it? I am working on my beer gut but could use some major help! What do you figure the price per beer is once your up and running? Is this all I need: http://www.kegworks.com/product.php?pro ... 414&page=1
Kit
Kit
HBK-1-LFGT-Bxy1.jpg (22.71 KiB) Viewed 1515 times
wowgut.jpg
Thanks,
Sheahan :occasion5:
dsteding
I've Got Gills

Re: Kegerators ???

Post by dsteding »

The kit you have will work with the soda kegs people use to keg homebrew. If you are buying a regular keg, you'll need a tap specific to that. Oh, and a refrigerator.

But, the kit is a start, not sure on price because it has been a while since I brewed beer, I imagine you can do better on Craig's List/eBay.
Fishstiq wrote:
To clarify.........

I cannot stress enough that this is MY PROBLEM.
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

The fridge is the most expensive part. I got mine because we already had to get another fridge/freezer for the boy. We didn't need half the fridge so I claimed it.

As for installing it, it was pretty easy... simple really. A little lesson on cleaning and care, and I was off to the races. My per-pint cost works out to about $1/pint for great Snoqualmie Brewery or Mac & Jack's beer.

Just be careful - it's easy to get a little tipsy and gain 10 lbs while the act of pouring your own frosty beer in your own house is still novel. Another note - keep your pint glasses in the freezer above it so you always have frozen glasses.
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
camerone
Submariner

Post by camerone »

The 'fridges show up on Craigslist a lot, or just hang out around the U...they're popular as dorm 'fridges all the time.

I recommend a reinforcing plate for the tap handle. The sheet metal on most 'fridges is pretty thin and doesn't support the weight of a drunken guy leaning on the tap handle too well.

The Cornelius kegs (soda kegs) are both cheap and easy to clean, so they're usually better for homebrewing, but as mentioned, they're different from commercial kegs. With a little creativity with some wood pieces, you can fit a Cornelius keg, small CO2 bottle, and all the plumbing nicely into one of the taller "dorm fridge" models. Makes for a very clean installation and you're not dragging around two pieces of material and lots of plumbing fittings, which always leak.

Finally, be careful how you run the lines. I once had a kegerator in my office at work (yeah, cool office, and Friday afternoons were NOT productive...) We ran the lines a little too close to the freezer compartment and they froze up solid. The whole thing exploded when the lines popped off the keg, showering the office with beer from ceiling to floor. We had to take the kegerator home after that.

BTW - if you don't know about them - up in Edmonds is Gallaghers, http://www.whereubrew.com/ . They have all the facilities to make your own beer. Takes about an hour, and then you come back two weeks later to bottle or keg it. It works out to be very cheap (about a buck a bottle, or less, if you bring your own) and they have around 100 recipes, plus all the ingredients, along with copper jacketed kettles, steam heat, etc. You can also make your own recipe if you want. One batch makes two Cornelius kegs, plus a dozen or two bottles to commemorate the experience. We used to make the office beer there, since it's a lot less messy than doing it at home. "Deep Narcosis Ale," anyone? :)
There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots...
sunnydude
Extreme Diving Machine

Post by sunnydude »

I have a small dorm fridge that holds two cornies or a cornie and a 1/6 barrel. It has a twin tap tower and usually has a Manny's on the 1/6th side (regular tap) and a local brewers beer in the corny. It works great.

BTW...my setup started like the one you posted and then I added a Y for the CO2.

I followed these directions and found the same fridge: http://www.chaddickerson.com/gallery/kegerator/?page=1
Attachments
IMG_2906.JPG
Sean
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Mmmh you guys are really getting me thinking. I have a question though. Have any of you put in a hidden shutoff valve to simulate OOB for getting drunk buddies to give it a rest and go home?
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
Sounder
I've Got Gills

Post by Sounder »

Mattleycrue76 wrote:Mmmh you guys are really getting me thinking. I have a question though. Have any of you put in a hidden shutoff valve to simulate OOB for getting drunk buddies to give it a rest and go home?
I can be pretty persuasive when it's time for people to go. :snipersmiley:
GUE Seattle - The official GUE Affiliate in the Northwest!
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

"Imitates sean connery". Shehan Mcculla!

No reason to post just thought I'd say it.

Oh and mcculla sounds like a soft drink like, "hey go grab me a mcculla" or it could be a home brew name like, "boy go grab me a mcculla"
Mattleycrue76
I've Got Gills

Post by Mattleycrue76 »

Dashrynn wrote:"Imitates sean connery". Shehan Mcculla!

No reason to post just thought I'd say it.

Oh and mcculla sounds like a soft drink like, "hey go grab me a mcculla" or it could be a home brew name like, "boy go grab me a mcculla"
Slow day at work?
"The She-Ps didn't work for either one of us, however- we accidently glued one to Dan's cat, and the other one ended up in a DEA evidence locker somehow." - Joshua Smith
Dashrynn
I've Got Gills

Post by Dashrynn »

I don't work for another hour, but I guess I could blame it on icecream pizza and. Moutain dew.