Olympic fever, Hell of a party up in Vancouver BC.

This forum is for all other types of chatter, including non-SCUBA stuff.
spatz84
Aquaphile

Olympic fever, Hell of a party up in Vancouver BC.

Post by spatz84 »

well we just went up to Vancouver to get amongst it all ( Olympic Fever ) , we weren't able to get tickets for the events but we figured we wouldn't be able to do that, So we just took in the big party going on in the city. We went to see the torch ( smaller then I thought it would be, But still cool to see. They do have this ugly ass chain link fence up to keep the spectators back from it. I think they could have figured out a better way of doing this. It really messes with the photo opps.) And then we just milled about in the down town area and hung out in the party. And they are having a party up there!.

They have a Pavillion, the 'Canada Pavillion' set up outside right in the middle of town. This is where the main party is centered at and then evreything is revolving around this in all directions in the city. An out door ice rink, music stages, huge Tv screens running the events all the time, A 2 block long Zip line running right over everyones head from one end of the pavillion to the other, and its free!, but the line is huge, a 4 hour wait when we were there. Television crews all over the place. The pavillion is like a giant rock stage, with lights and all kinds of action!

If anyone is thinking about going up there here is alittle low down. The down town area around granville and Howe and from West Gorgia st. to about Robson st. ( this is an approximation I can't remember the exact streets ) is blocked off to street traffic, pedestrian only, which is a good thing. the torch is on the North shore side of the city abit of a walk from the pavillion but not to bad at all. We went up on the monday of the 3 day weekend. The traffic was nothing at all like the media fears present it. The wait at the border both directions was about 15 minutes or less. They try to encourage people to park out at the air port and take the new Sky tram in, ( I think its new ), on a weekend this might be a good idea. we drove into town and used public parking located right at the edge of the downtown event area, 23 dollars Canadian for all day, not any worse then a regular day in Seattle. the crowds were large but manegable and we had a 2 year old in a stroller, so did many others. The crowds do deffinitly get larger as evening comes on. Everone is having a good time and there are people from all countries everywhere which just adds great flavor. Be prepaired to see every Canadian wearing a flag somehow, somewhere, on or all over thier bodies, they have realy got thier National Pride on, which is great! the Dutch are doing a good job of this as well. If your thinking about going up I say do it. It makes for a great little day trip and how often do you get the chance to be this close to the Olympic games.

Does anyone else have similar expierences with the event, or worse expierences?

S. :partydance:
sunnydude
Extreme Diving Machine

Re: Olympic fever, Hell of a party up in Vancouver BC.

Post by sunnydude »

We went up Sunday for my kids to see the Torch and be "part" of the Olympics. Best part of the night was being in the Canadian pavilion and watching on the screens the Canadian Mogul skier winning the gold.

Going back up on Friday for a hockey game that we bought tickets too.

And I agree about the ugly ass fence keeping people from getting close to the torch. It was the biggest complaint we heard while up there and also in the news.
Sean